Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

Can`t login, still "Authenticating..:" without effect

[ New ]

Hi,

yesterday I´ve downloaded the GoPro App for OSX and installed. After installation I´ve created an account, received the confirmation E-Mail and have confirmed my new account. When I try to log-in, I´ll click on submit after fill in my Mailaddress and password and the info-message "Authenticating..." appears above. 

I have a stable internet connection, and also via Safari I can log-in into my account. I´ve tried it several times, without changing. Is there any log-in issue at this time?

Can you help me?

Kind regards

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous

Re: Can`t login, still "Authenticating..:" without effect

[ New ]
Hi! My gopro desktop app now works perfectly fine after my computer recently had (very long) updates of the windows 10. So don't blame the gopro app desktop but the windows10 software (with unending updates!). I don't know specifically what went wrong but after that update, now it runs smoothly.
Thanks @mattb for the help though!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into that issue. Just to be clear, the authenticating message shows up when you're trying to log into the GoPro App for Desktop, correct? Have you tried closing out the program and restarting your computer? 

I'm not aware of any log in issues at this time. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Glad to know im not alone with the same problem! uninstalling and restalling the program wasnt any help. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I've heard of other users having similar issues but it isn't common. Do you happen to be using a VPN access when you're trying to log in?

Anonymous

[ New ]
No, i don't. I tried to restart even my laptop, accessed the end-task manager, but still is the same.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Sorry to hear that that still hasn't worked for you. Have you tried restarting the computer? 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Yes i did restarting the computer. i even reinstall the desktop app but nothing happened. I have a lenovo LG50 with windows 10, 64-mbit. It meets the system requirements so that shouldn't be a problem.
Anonymous

[ New ]
64 bit windows 10 i mean.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I haven't forgotten about your post but I've reached out to some other members of our team in regards to the issue you were seeing. I'll try and see if they have any ideas that could help!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

We've got a couple more things you can try here. First, if you have anti-virus software running on your computer, please try disabling that momentarily to see if you can then login. 

If that does not work, please try temporarily disabling your User Account Control on your computer. For Windows 10 you will do the following:

-Open the Start menu and locate the search bar

-Type "UAC" in the search bar

-Select the option "Change User Account Control Settings"

-Move the slider bar to "Never Notify."

After doing this, restart the computer once more. That is a crucial step. After that, let's see if it let's you log in. You can turn UAC back on afterward. 

@Anonymous, do you have any updates about how it's going for you? Were you able to get logged in?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi. Did what you said. Turned off my anti-virus software, also the firewall. But didn't succeed. Also changing the UAC settings, didn't make any changes.
The problem too is that, upon clicking to open the gopro app icon, it is so laggish, takes long to open, and when it does, (not responding) appears, and when you try typing it takes 2 seconds to appear each letter u type.

I dont know what to do anymore. 😱
GoPro

[ New ]

HI @Anonymous, 

I'm really sorry that it's giving you so much trouble. Just to verify, you did restart the computer after changing UAC? It will only take effect then. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Yes. I did exactly what you posted. Thanks by the way.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Im having the same issue on my Mac.  Has anyone found a solution?

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous and @Anonymous, 

I'm checking further to see what may be causing the issue. Hopefully we can find a way to have it finish authenticating and sign you in. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi again, 

It seems several users are having the same issue or at least an issue that appears to be similar in nature. At this point we'd like to see if this is a computer issue or an account issue. If you happen to have other computers or can install the GoPro App for Desktop on another computer, please try entering in your account information on that computer to see if it still says "Authenticating..." or if it works on the other computer. This will help us in our search for a resolution. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi! My gopro desktop app now works perfectly fine after my computer recently had (very long) updates of the windows 10. So don't blame the gopro app desktop but the windows10 software (with unending updates!). I don't know specifically what went wrong but after that update, now it runs smoothly.
Thanks @mattb for the help though!
Anonymous

[ New ]

Matt - that thread is marked as 'reolved' but seemingly only because a Windows 10 update corrected it for a single user. It's probably worth having a separate thread for OSX since issues with UAC likely don't apply.

I just purchased a GoPro Hero Session 4 and downloaded the newest version of the Quik softare and am having the same issue.  I am running OSX 10.11.6 with no antivirus, no firewall, no crazy network stuff going on.  I went through a lengthy chat with GoPro support this morning that ended with the answer being 'wait until we update the software.'

GoPro needs to solve this ASAP or at least provide a list of operating systems with known issues that may prevent their software from working, at all.  This is a horrendous experience for a customer who just purchased a brand new device, is running a modern, up-to-date OS, not being able to do something as simple as downloading their videos because your software has some sort of issue authenticating with homebase.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Iam having the same issue. Macbook Pro running OS Sierra. Quik sticks at 'Authenticating...'.

Have reinstalled twice. 

Please Help!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am also having the same issue on Mac OS X Sierra. Please help!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm not sure if a moderator marked the solution as solved or if a user did. We do understand that this doesn't necessarily solve the problem for every single user, but marking something as a solution allows other users to quickly see what has worked for some so that they can try it for themselves. In fact, often times a previous thread that was already "resolved" is reopened by other users who may comment in having similar problems. 

We have seen this issue most commonly associated with slow internet connection. If anyone is seeing Authenticating..., try closing the App and then waiting about 30 seconds. Open the App once more to see if it will work. Additionally, try turning off Wi-Fi and opening the App. It should say that the App needs internet connection unless there is some deeper issue which is causing the problem. After you get that message, try turning your Wi-Fi on again and trying to connect. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply @mattb

I am experiencing the issue both at my office (50mb/50mb business) and home (10mb/5mb).  The Mac mini, which works (and is a slower machine than my laptop), is at my home.  My laptop (Macbook pro), which is experiencing the 'perpetual authentication' issue experiences the issue at both locations.  The machine has been rebooted several times to no avail.  

Based on the quality of the internet connections at both places I'm inclined to think this is not a network issue. 

Hiker

[ New ]

im still having this same **bleep** issue on my iMac running newest Sierra OS.. GoPro PLEASE RESOLVE THIS ISSUE ASAP!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Mattb,

I can access at home but not in the office (using the same mac book Pro with OS Sierra), the office connection may be slower, but at Ave. 15 mbps (speedtest.net authenticated) this is by no means a slow connection and any decent application should be able to simply authenticate user name & password across it (I only have the ssue with the Go Pro App, whilst at least 5 other apps that require login work fine from the office location)

GoPro need to look into this properly; it's clearly a poor customer exerience for me and many other users. Just blaming poor internet connection seems a cop-out response IMHO.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue. I'm on OSX 10.10.5, can't go past Authenticating... Please sort this out.

5 minutes later...

Ha! I quit the app and restarted it and works now fine! :)

Anonymous

[ New ]

Im having the Authentication "error" this is horrible. A forced update that doesnt work. MacOS Sierra, mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina.

Anonymous

[ New ]

i also have this problem, have tried reinstalling mutiple times, restarted multiple times. Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 with the latest updates as of 6/11/2016. 100/10mbs internet connection so no problems there. no fancy network settings. What can be done to fix this frustrating problem? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi folks, 

If any of you haven't already, try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. If you still end up stuck with that issue, try creating a new user profile in the computer. That is, a new profile for the computer itself, not a new GoPro account, and then trying logging in to the Quik App while in that new user profile. Please let me know if that works, and if it does, try going back to the original profile to see if you can log in from there now.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I tired creating a new user profile on my Mac as you suggested and I still get the same results. Authenticting. Please fix this ASAP @mattb

The reason i updated to Quik was because the previous GoPro desktop app started behaving strangely. It wouldnt add anymore than one photo/frame from a timelapse i took. Now i cant find the older app anywhere to reinstall it and replace Quik until you guys have got it fixed. I'm glad its being worked on so lets hope you get it sorted soon.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same here, stuck on "Authentification..." screen

Mac OS 10.11.4

Anonymous

[ New ]

Not jumping through hoops for this. Ive deleted and wont be installing and using anymore. Ill use something else. There are many many other people with the same problems for WEEKS and NO solution. Im sure there are plenty of software techs out there for hire that can fix this issue in hours..hire them. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

On Mac OSX Sierra.  Deleted and redownloaded Quik again.  Still not working!  Please fix this issue- hasn't been working since I downloaded the new Mac Operating System.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi folks, 

I'm sorry that you've been running into this issue. I've been exploring it on my end but with little success, as I can't reproduce the problem. 

We did just release a new version of Quik today. Please try downloading it HERE to see if that resolves the Authenticating problem. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

unisntalled old vrsion. installed via link. still stuck on "Authenticating..."....I have turned off my firewall and still nothing. this bites. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

even tried resetting my password....nothing..

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 5.00.50 PM.png
Hiker

[ New ]

would uninstalling gopro studio also, work?

Hiker

[ New ]

nope. still not working........ ive deleted everything multiple times. created new accounts. still stuck "authenticating". 

GoPro... i love u guys, but please fix this little issue. 

**iMac running newest Sierra OS 10.12

Anonymous

[ New ]

Having same problem, Macbook Air OS Sierra 10.12.1 . Any suggestions on 3rd party software to get my clips off a session 4?

Hiker

[ New ]

Ive been having the same problem before and after Sierra. If I leave it authenticating for a while then close the app, it then starts up logged in! Not ideal but it works most of the time. Does need looking into though.

Hiker

[ New ]

Just gone back to the app and There is a message saying saying there is a new update so will try that and see

Anonymous

[ New ]
That's what I did, can't get past the login at all now.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone, 

We are continuing to investigate and trying to determine why this Authenticating issue is occurring in this small number of cases. Most users can log in without a problem but I understand this has been quite a hang up for some of you so far. 

First things first, make sure to have the most recent version of the Quik App downloaded. We just released a new version the other day. 

Beyond that, we've already discussed that internet connectivity issues can lead to these issues. Make sure to double-check your Wi-Fi connection to see that it has a solid link to the internet. As some have noted, sometimes just closing the App, turning Wi-Fi off and on again, and relaunching the App does the trip. 

Additionally, it sounds like most people running into this problem haven't been able to log in at all before. Please try going to gopro.com and logging in there to see if it works. This could also happen if your account hasn't been verified, so if you see a link below the log in area saying to verify your account, click to have the email sent to you and then verify your account through your email. 

Please let me know how that goes!

Anonymous

[ New ]

@mattb As I've mentioned before, I am able to login to both the website and using Quik on another computer in my house.  I've done all of the necessary email verifications.  

I'd be happy to jump on a scree-share with engineers at GoPro to show them the problem and collect any relevant system logs if it will aid in tracking this down.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

No problem with my Internet connection.

No problem with my account.

Maybe a simple traceroute would help ?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Internet connection is solid. I can login at gopro.com. I can't login to the app. Also happy to do a screen share or send any relevant logs on request. Please work harder to fix this terrible issue or provide us with the previous gopro app that actually worked!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm still awaiting some sort of fix for this problem. In an effort to bypass the problem i tried to create a new account via the Quik app. I get the same behavour and the app freezes at "Just a moment". Please find a solution and inform us of it @mattb!!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Well, this sucks. My GoPro has been lost in a closet for several months. Finally found it, went to update stuff, and now I'm stuck at "Authenticating..." like everyone else.  Obviously I have a working internet connection and can sign in to my account on the web site, because here I am posting. Can also sign in on the 'Capture' app on my phone, so account is seemingly fine. It's just this Quik Desktop application. I have un/reinstall Quik (and Studio). Have rebooted in between and after. I have a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. It's still on Yosemite (10.10.5), but that is supposedly supported. And since others on Sierra are having problems, I'm not upgrading just for this. Watching for more suggestions. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi @mattb ,

I have the same issue as others. I just downloaded Quick 2.1.0.5429 today and am unable to log in with the app. I am running a Mac with El Capitan OS X 10.11.6

I have verified my account in a web browser, verified I have a stable internet connection, restarted the app numerous times, etc. Every time I try to open the app and log in, I get the error "Login Failed. Email or password are invalid." I know this isn't the case since I have logged in numerous times with the same PW and email.

What can I do? Happy to screenshare/call.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue on Windows 7 Pro with Quik V 2.1.0.4563, red text saying no internet connection and GoPro account not recognized.

Greg.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have just had the same problem that was reported for MacOS Sierra users. I Quik Desktop version 2.1.0.5429. I have a resoluton that worked for me. I normally have my iMac connected to our network via an ethernet and Wifi connection at the same time. This allows me to use some MacOS features like AirDrop. Anyway, I decided to turn-off the wifi connection and leave the ethernet connection in place. I then re-started the Quik applicatioon and it automatically logged me into my account and allowed me to transfer footage to my hard drive. It might be that the Quik application was confused with two network connection operating at the same time.