Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

Re: Can`t login, still "Authenticating..:" without effect

[ New ]

I have still the same issue on Windows 7 Pro, asked for some support at GoPro france but they are not really reactive...Is any one at GoPro working on that problem? 

PrtScr capture_2.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

I cannot even use my gopro anymore due to this issue.  I cannot authenticate and cannot log onto the app and import my videos.  This is very troublesome. 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

GoPro

[ New ]

For all of those with the hanging "Authenticating" message during login, can you please check to see if the GoProIDService process is running in the background at the time? Here's how you check for this:

Mac

1. Open Quik for desktop and try logging in so the "Authenticating" message appears.
  2. Open Activity Monitor
  3. Under the "Process Name" tab, look for the GoProIDService process.
  4. Let us know if that shows up

Windows

1. Open Quik for desktop and try logging in so the "Authenticating" message appears.
  2. Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc
  3. Under the "Processes" tab, please look for the GoProIDService process. Please note that the Processes tab is separated by "Apps" and "Background Processes". You'll want to look under the Background processes section to find this. If your window is blank when it opens, you may need to select "More Details" at the bottom left corner of that window to expand the selection.

Thanks!

~ Mowens

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, the only processes I can see that have anything to do with gopro are these.   (I am getting them from the activity monitor)

• goproapp.devicedetection
  • GoProMsgBus

I have also attached an image.  I am a software debugger by trade so if there's more I can do to solve this……I believe I have the skills to help. 

Activity_Monitor__My_Processes__and_Quik_and_Reply_to_Message_-_GOPRO_SUPPORT_HUB.png
Hiker

[ New ]

nope i dont see that under Process Name. when im stuck at "authenitcating" i only see "GoProMsgBus" 

Hiker

[ New ]

same...

Hiker

[ New ]

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.06.17 PM.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello to all following this thread. I'd first and foremost like to thank you for your patience in dealing with your Quik Desktop Applications not moving past the login page with that "Authenticating" message. We have been trying to find a fix for the problem and it appears that a possible solution may have been found and posted on another thread in the Support Hub. See HERE

The proposed fix is to alter one of the files associated with the Quik App and you can do that by following these steps. Note that this solution is for Mac computers. 

We have seen this work for a number of users now. Please let us know if this resolves the issue for you.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi @mattb - my hosts file already had the local host specified like the solution you mentioned. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Still unable to use quik. It actually gets past "authenticating" immediately and instead says it is a user name/PW issue. Not true since i have verified the user and PW by logging into this forum.

@mowens - i have many gopro processes running including the one you specified. see the attached pic.

GoProServices.png

Again - happy to screenshare. I would really like to use this

Anonymous

[ New ]

go to your finder on mac click go then go to folder then type "/private/etc/hosts" click return/enter button on your keyboard then copy the hosts file on your desktop and edit as seen on the picture. that solve my problem.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 5.40.07 PM.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi mattb, 

This is what worked for me.   Thanks so much for the help here!!   I can finally use my camera. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am on Windows 7 Enterprise and having the same issues.  I am using a wired internet connection and have wifi disabled in the adapter settings.  I am getting "The app needs an internet connection to sign you in" then "Login failed. Email or password are invalid".

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Team.

Now I can't access my desktop. Keeps coming up with this authenticating error. I am on windows. Please Help!!!!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Same problem here. Internet is fine; Quik isn't.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I have tried every solution offered in this thread to no avail. Sometimes it works and many times it does not. At home we have a 1GB Wifi (yup, Gagibit serice up and down) and most of the time the app hangs on Authenticating. Now we are on vacation and the kids want to edit videos and stuck on Authenticating for the last 1/2 hour. Sure, the nextwork is slower, but i am able to read the forums, watch YouTube videos, but still cannot authenticating Quik. 

Why is there not an ability, especially if we do not have a cloud subscription to be able to use it offline?

Any other ideas on how to resolve this? It's pretty bad when you have two kids both with GoPro's that want to edit videos they are taking on vacation and they cannot do anything at all.

OS Version: Sierra OSX 10.12.3

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Quik -- 2.2.0.5791

Anonymous

[ New ]

Im having the same issue as well.  This sucks.

Hiker

[ New ]

Wow this issue has been happening for some time now and still no definitive fix.  I've tried the 'solutions' and sometimes they work, other times they don't. 

Hiker

[ New ]

It doesn't show up for me

Tourist

[ New ]

Well, with at least 6 (that I can remember) Emails back and forth to Support, still can't log into QUICK !!!!

I have checked FireWall settings- OK: OS updates - OK: New Password - NO GO: NEW version of Quick - NO change  rebooted computer on many ocassions - NO GO !!!

THERE IS A MAJOR ISSUE WITH THE CODE in Quick !!!! TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE.

I was hoping that with the release of the "update" that it would be corrected, but, not to be.

Problem is, Support keep telling me to do the same things over and over, and I keep telling them, over and over, IT DOESN'T WORK !

PLEASE, PLEASE GOPRO, get this issue sorted out, just reading how many extra people there are on this forum since I first posted has increased MUST TELL YOU SOMETHING. There is a problem with this software and it is a frustrating one.

I ended up editing my last videos in iMovie just so that I could get them out there. NOT GOOD !

Frustrating doesn't begin to explain my feelings at present.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue here: MacOS Sierea version 10.12.3..keep showing only this screen :-(

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-03 om 09.28.28.png

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same problem.

I did not have this problem running earlier versions of GoPro Quik

Hiker

[ New ]

sold my GoPro Hero 4 black and bought the Hero 5.... have tried using GoPro app for my Mac and I get the same authenticating....... problem.

Useless for me so far and nothing fixes it.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem with hero 5 session. I can not login using gopro account nor facebook account.
After short investigation I can conclude, that the app is unable to use system proxy settings and there is no option (in the app) to set the proxy manually. The app is simply not capable connect to internet via proxy.

There are dozens of post regarding this problem with no solution provided. Upgrading your camera or your system obviously do not work.

Manual proxy setting in the app would be nice solution. I think I could be fixed in few days.

Rene

Anonymous

[ New ]

I had the same problem on my Windows 10 computer. Sometimes Quik wouldn't open at all, sometimes it got stuck at "Authenticating". I'm using Kaspersky Internet Protection anti-virus software, and when I disabled it temporarily, Quik opened without any problems. Maybe this could help in some cases.

Tourist

[ New ]

issues on Mac how to solve it

re-installing the app (3-4 times) did not help 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just taken the plunge and bought my first GoPro (I know I know!) just trying to paly with Quik but cant get logged in at all. I'm on el capitan 10.11.6.

should it work with this OS? so far not so Impressed with the software!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm on Mac OSX Sierra and experienced the same issue with authentication and resolved it by bypassing the internet proxy.  As posted previously the root cause of the issue seems to be the app can't connect if an internet proxy is configured.  

Here's what I did to fix the issue:

- disconnect from any VPN (if applicable)

- don't configure a proxy for http or https in your browser

- if you must use a proxy, select "auto proxy discovery" and "auto proxy configuration" options, rather than setting it manually

- do not configure https proxy - there is a known issue with java.  gopro sites use https, but you don't need to set an https proxy in order to connect.  http proxy will still forward the https traffic.  https proxy is not widely used and known to be problematic.

- if none of this works, and you need to configure an http proxy, trying adding the gopro domain to the list of exceptions to bypass proxy in your browser advanced settings.

I hope that helps.  I was able to resolve the issue fairly quickly with the above.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Aaaahhh I set auto proxy discovery to on and its worked. I'm in! Thanks!
Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem, Authenticating... for ever. I am on Apple Macbook pro runing Sierra 10.12.6, please help

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same Problem. Auto proxy detect doesn´t help

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am also having the same issue. the buttons also turn black. Anything sesolved here? I am operating on a Macbookpro

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem for more than one year. I tried in different countries and I never could log in. I tried all the ways I found in this forum and in internet. I can not undestand how a company like GoPro can give a S*** for us, consumers. I was planing to buy the drone of GoPro but I give up.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem for more than one year. I tried in different countries and I never could log in. I tried all the ways I found in this forum and in internet. I can not undestand how a company like GoPro can give a S for us, consumers. I was planing to buy the drone of GoPro but I give up.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem! I was trying to conntact support team and they accing like dont care.. I spoke with 3 people and noone cares to help.. I just bought my camera 3 days ago. I Have never used go pro before and I think I will just send it back. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Nathalie B from the Phillipines and also Marry Ann G were very unproffesional. They basicly dont understand what customer service means. And I justt want to fix that authenticating problem.... They didnt care at all.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi!

Having the same problem...

• The authentication does work for me - 
    1. I have tried inputting wrong password and it didn't stuck on authenticating, it said it is wrong.
    2. I am actually passed the authentication when i put the correct PW, it is not stuck.

My problem is that the next window turns black and the whole app is stuck!

(I do have the process you mentioned - GoProIDService)

GoPro Quick turns black.jpg

Thanks!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have gopro6 and facing error while doing login from GoPro Quick from Macbook. It keeps Authenticating and never finish,

Can you tell me the reason, is it a bug or you are killing me :)

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 11.07.08.png
Anonymous

[ New ]

I have gopro6 and facing error while doing login from GoPro Quick from Macbook. It keeps Authenticating and never finish,

Can you tell me the reason, is it a bug or you are killing me 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Fed up with even comment sections too, Software guys need to do more hard work.
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 11.07.08.png
Anonymous

[ New ]

OK, so it's now the very end of 2017, this bug has been rattling on for over a year and there still isn't a dependable fix for it? Latest OSX version, latest Quik version .... Authenticating ... NOTHING.

This is a bit of a joke really. Why has this bug been allowed to persist for so long?

And no, tagging it with 'SOLVED' doesn'r make it go away.

How about GoPro at least make the previous versions of Quik desktop readily available so that we can go back an try the old ones that worked? 

Do I need to switch to another camera vendor so that I can get software that works?

Anonymous

[ New ]

i have the same issue can get log in ....this not good i have problem with camera freezing too ....now this app gopro sucks!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Tried this and still no success.  Thanks for posting.

GoPro -- My camera and Karma Grip are not communicating correctly.  The first suggestion you provide is to update the firmware on both.  I can update the camera through the iPhone app, but not the grip, so I'm stuck.  My products are literally not useable because of this ridiculous bug.  I have been contemplating buying a Fusion or Hero6, but will not consider either purchase until this is fixed!

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Best option then is to go ahead and contact our Support team directly at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so we can troubleshoot what's going on with your camera and the Grip.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Well I have been reading all the messages, also the refered topic related issues and I have been trying everything without any luck. It's is a shame for GoPro that they can't solve this issue. 

Generally I believe that the quick software is rubbish. It has to many issues for some long time. Issues that I never had with GoPro Studio, not that that was a flawless pice of software, but at least you could work with it and add your music of choise. 

No GoPro Quick is not a step in the right direction. The login possibility should be given after you started to program fully. And it should not be mandatory. 

Well this been said - I have the issue as mentioned and experienced by hunderds of GoPro users. When can we expect a reliable solution. Please add on the GoPro download page at least the possibility to go back to GoPro Studio.

Ohhh guys I have an Internet connection that is 80mb / 28mb and my iMac works perfect, so did GoPro Studio.......

Tourist

[ New ]

same problem here

new macbook pro

i used quick for a while with no problem

now all of a sudden it gets stuck at "authenticating"

spoke with phone support and they tried all the stuff mentioned here... turning wifi off and on, plugging directly in via ethernet, checking the hosts file, etc. 

THEY SAID THEY WOULD RESPOND BACK TO ME IN 10 DAYS

THIS IS CRAZY!

Tourist

[ New ]

This issue has been ongoing for over 18 months now. Support, can't help, it is beyond them. Thay have a manual in front of them, if the issue isn't there, they are lost.

This program NEEDS TO BE RE-ENGINEERED from the ground up, why they are so bloody minded not to do anything about it has got me beat. There are 1,000s of GoPro out there, and a lot of people like myself want to produce high quality videos with these great cameras, and are hampered by a cheap, nasty and buggy program that doesn't do justice to the GoPro Brand.

They can spend mega bucks on R&D to improve the cameras, BUT, WHAT THEN ????? IT IS LIKE OWNING THE TOP OF THE RANGE HASSELBLAD AND NOT HAVING ANYWHERE TO GET THE FILMS PROCESSED, may as well give me a Rolls Royce without keys, same scenario.

OH well, I guess I am stuck with iMovie, better than nothing, and I calss Quik as close to nothing............

Anonymous

[ New ]

for me the Authenticating problem was kaspersky antivirus. turn off the protetction and then turn on the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

thanks for the comment. i wish it were that simple for me. i don't have any antivirus software on my macbook

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @alithegreat

Are you still having trouble with Quik? It would be best to check with Support team again. If a case has already been created for your initial query, you can use the same case number to get an update. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have a MacBook, running OS High SIerra and I have the same problem, I did restart the Mac and reinstalled Quick but the problem is still there.

GoPro please find a solution.

Carlo