Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Black screen playback Quick for macOS Sierra

After Apple pushed recent update on Sierra to 10.12.6, I am unable to watch videos in Quick app after import. It plays sound, but the screen is black. Although thumbnails shows the image. When I open the file in another app like QuickTime or Preview, it plays normally just fine.  

most of my videos are in 1080p/720p, 30 or 60fps, all have the same issue. 

Note: photo timelapse playback has no issues. did not try with video timelapse yet.  

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.41.51 AM.png

Here it plays just fine in QuickTime:

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.42.57 AM.png

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Black screen playback Quick for macOS Sierra

[ Edited ]

@coolcat37 GoPro Support veers away from solving this. I decided to dig through this once again, and i found another workaround for myself, possibly for others too. Keep my fingers crossed this post will stay

I went online and googled for GoPro Studio app for Mac. since it is not officialy suported anymore, i had to go through a third party website.  This is a tricky part, I downloaded installation file at my own risk, Version 2.5.12 (2.5.12.6230) (Other versions may work too, i just came across this one). This is why i am saying "keep my fingers crossed", and i cant really attach the link i guess, snice this post may be banned right away. 

After I downloaded and installed the Studio app, i restarted my Mac, launched the Studio app. I received a message that this app is not optimized for my Mac, meaning it is 32-bit. I ignored the message and opened the Quik app. Now all the videos are playing as they should. BUT, i have 4K videos lagging pretty bad (they do not lag if i open them in Finder, whether it is QuikTime or Preview apps). It may be due to graphics memory being on a lower end for Quik

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 9.15.21 PM.png

Please let me know if this works for anyone else or if your outcome is a bit different, or if that didnt help at all. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Sightseer

I am having the exact same problem.

Highlighted
Hiker

Were you able to solve? 

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the exact same problem too! No reply from Gopro regarding this.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sunnyvista32360,

Is your Quik up to Date? What version are you running?

It may be helpful to uninstall and reinstall.

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes the GoPro is up to date. My Mac has just updated to High Sierra and that apparantly triggers Gopro Quick to not playback videos old or new. Just a blank screen. You have many questions on your forums ragarding this why doesnt Gopro sort it out? Or at least acknowledge  you have a problem since mac has done their update.

I have had many issues with this unit. When I use the remote I can only record for 25 mins before battery goes flat. I have purchase sevaral different cards as I was told it was the card. That made no difference!

How do I get my money back as GoPro say they have a money back guarantee with no hassles? I asked Harvey Norman where I bought it from to refund me but they wont! Very disapointed

Its been a pointless purchase for me so far as its never gone right as advertised. I have returned this unit three times over several months after excuses that Gopro will have an update soon so just wait Im told. Im still waiting and nothing happening so I now want my money back as requested 4 months ago. Can you help me with our supplier?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @sunnyvista32360,

If you get in touch with our Support Team they may be able to get that sorted out for you! https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@ryanv12566 How about sharing the solution to this problem with everyone? I am waiting for a response from your team for few months now, and I am sure there are many more desperate customers like me. Please, show some customer service and care