Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker

Black screen playback Quick for macOS Sierra

[ New ]

After Apple pushed recent update on Sierra to 10.12.6, I am unable to watch videos in Quick app after import. It plays sound, but the screen is black. Although thumbnails shows the image. When I open the file in another app like QuickTime or Preview, it plays normally just fine.  

most of my videos are in 1080p/720p, 30 or 60fps, all have the same issue. 

Note: photo timelapse playback has no issues. did not try with video timelapse yet.  

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.41.51 AM.png

Here it plays just fine in QuickTime:

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.42.57 AM.png

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Black screen playback Quick for macOS Sierra

[ New ]

@Anonymous GoPro Support veers away from solving this. I decided to dig through this once again, and i found another workaround for myself, possibly for others too. Keep my fingers crossed this post will stay

I went online and googled for GoPro Studio app for Mac. since it is not officialy suported anymore, i had to go through a third party website.  This is a tricky part, I downloaded installation file at my own risk, Version 2.5.12 (2.5.12.6230) (Other versions may work too, i just came across this one). This is why i am saying "keep my fingers crossed", and i cant really attach the link i guess, snice this post may be banned right away. 

After I downloaded and installed the Studio app, i restarted my Mac, launched the Studio app. I received a message that this app is not optimized for my Mac, meaning it is 32-bit. I ignored the message and opened the Quik app. Now all the videos are playing as they should. BUT, i have 4K videos lagging pretty bad (they do not lag if i open them in Finder, whether it is QuikTime or Preview apps). It may be due to graphics memory being on a lower end for Quik

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 9.15.21 PM.png

Please let me know if this works for anyone else or if your outcome is a bit different, or if that didnt help at all. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the exact same problem.

Hiker

[ New ]

Were you able to solve? 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the exact same problem too! No reply from Gopro regarding this.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

Is your Quik up to Date? What version are you running?

It may be helpful to uninstall and reinstall.

Best,

Ryan

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes the GoPro is up to date. My Mac has just updated to High Sierra and that apparantly triggers Gopro Quick to not playback videos old or new. Just a blank screen. You have many questions on your forums ragarding this why doesnt Gopro sort it out? Or at least acknowledge  you have a problem since mac has done their update.

I have had many issues with this unit. When I use the remote I can only record for 25 mins before battery goes flat. I have purchase sevaral different cards as I was told it was the card. That made no difference!

How do I get my money back as GoPro say they have a money back guarantee with no hassles? I asked Harvey Norman where I bought it from to refund me but they wont! Very disapointed

Its been a pointless purchase for me so far as its never gone right as advertised. I have returned this unit three times over several months after excuses that Gopro will have an update soon so just wait Im told. Im still waiting and nothing happening so I now want my money back as requested 4 months ago. Can you help me with our supplier?

Hope to hear from you soon.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

If you get in touch with our Support Team they may be able to get that sorted out for you! https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best,

Ryan

Hiker

[ New ]

@ryanv12566 How about sharing the solution to this problem with everyone? I am waiting for a response from your team for few months now, and I am sure there are many more desperate customers like me. Please, show some customer service and care

Anonymous

[ New ]

Exact same problem,

I am Unable to play the video despite having updated everything on the Mac,  the Gopro 6 and  deistalling- reinstalling the Quik app several times. The video icons display but once I press to play the screen is black and I only hear the sound. 

Also just like you the video does play  on other applications.

I would really like to add telemetry data and seems to be possible only on the Quik app...do you guys have any suggestion of other application that I could use to download video plus telemetry/Gps data.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

[ New ]

I experience exactly the same problem. I wonder why there is still no solution for this "black screen case." It worked before, when I bought my Gopro5. Now I cannot see any of my footages from Quik. I have to open another Mac apps just to see what I have been recorded. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem with the black screen. Please share the solution as soon as possible. I am losing patience with GoPro.

Hiker

[ New ]

Tried to check back with support, ironically...

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 9.41.01 AM.png

😂😂😂

Anyway, i have a small finding that may help them (Gopro support) resolve this or point all of us (abandoned customers) in the right direction. When i turn on one of the gauges, then the viseo shows up on the screen, although it is not smooth and lags. As more gauges you turn on, as more it lags. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 9.44.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 9.44.56 AM.png

Here is the video for better understanding what I am talking about

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5hps87tmepzptp/gopro.mov?dl=0

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you so much for sharing to us your finding. Yes, I can finally see the video footage by adjusting the gauge. However, the solution is not working for footages taken without the GPS data (when the GPS option was turned off in Gopro 5 camera), because I can't adjust the gauge for those footages.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm still having this issue, have GoPro acknowledged there is an issue and they are looking at it?

Anonymous

[ New ]
I spoke to gopro and they ask me to delete some file but still we were not able to solve the issue...Hoping on fix real soon until then I guess I’ll have to watch it in some other program and do without my GPS data that I was so much looking forward to 😞
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all, 

i tried to do a clean install of macOS and thatt seems to work. The video playback functionality gets back to normal. However, it is not the easiest workaround. But it worked for me. Not necessarily that it will work for others, but very likely that it will. Here are the specs of my computer in case you are curious 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I tried a reinstall and it didnt make any difference. Just a note that all old Gopro files wont play either. Im on a Macbook pro 2.6 and a new macbook pro 2.7 and both have the same issue.

Both mac's have this HighSierra update and the older 2.6 Mac runs very slow.

I tried getting a refund from Gopro but no reply.

G

Anonymous

[ New ]

Did yoiu ever resolve this black screen issue? I have not and no response from Gopro

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Sunnyvista, I still have a problem with the black screen. It seems some of us can resolve the issue by doing a clean install on Mac OS High Sierra, but clean install is a big job. It means I have to reinstall all my apps/programs in Mac (there are more than 40 programs/apps in my Mac) and re-rentry all the settings, just to make the Gopro Quik works again. This is crazy. I don't know how many Gopro Mac users are affected by this issue. I think GoPro support should help us resolve the issue as the app is really curcial for the editing process. It seems nobody in GoPro support care about this problem. So sad.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@Anonymous - Sorry to hear you're still having issues with this. If you can reply back with the case number you received when you reached out to our Support team, I'll look into this and see if we can get you a better answer for your situation.

Thanks,

Jeff

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello i found how to fix it just install gopro studio premium from [Edit: Link Removed] and all fixes :)

Regards !

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Everybody, hi Jefft,

I have the same problem as Sunny.... The black screen is still there on my MacBook Pro :( 

Best Reguards

Raff

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello 

I am suffering from the same problem since decembre 2017! Until now I was not able to fix it. 

GoPro should change the name in GoPro(blem)..

However, I use a Macbook Pro from 2015 and everything is up to date. 

Deleting files , reinstalling.. nothing seems to work. 

I give up. Go Problem...

Anonymous

[ New ]

While uploading my video on my Mac desktop. Everything was working just fine. I haven't update my MAC. After everything was completed  I started clinking on my videos; it only plays a play screen. i can here the sound only. now im going to try to update my MAC and see if that fis the issue. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Feel free to post back once the update is completed. Let us know if it makes a difference.

Just a heads up: we have been receiving some reports about this where the file only plays the audio but does not have the image/video.  This is being looked at by the team in charge.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Having this issue as well. Was working just before I updated to 2.6.1.713 

Currently on High Sierra 10.13.4

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @quickdive01842. This is currently being worked on by the team. We will post back once we have an update. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Has anyone figured this out besides having to do a complete re-install of my entire system?

I am on hold with GoPro and I am beyond frustrated. Poor English from my customer service support Rep. Bad understanding of what I am trying to accomplish and he seems to have no answers so far.

Can anyone recommend another program that will actually work?

For the amount of money we pay for this camera you would think that getting the editing software would be a priority.

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya can you please give us an ETA on solving this? I have been on the phone with the support for about 5 times now since I posted this August 2017, it is June 2018 now Smiley Mad.  And they keep offering some solutinos that do not make sense, like update your macOS, or restart your Mac in Safe Mode. After each phone call I keep getting the same answer: "We will contact щнг later with a possible solution". I would at least appreciate if someone ever calls me back, everytime i have to reach out myself. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@Anonymous GoPro Support veers away from solving this. I decided to dig through this once again, and i found another workaround for myself, possibly for others too. Keep my fingers crossed this post will stay

I went online and googled for GoPro Studio app for Mac. since it is not officialy suported anymore, i had to go through a third party website.  This is a tricky part, I downloaded installation file at my own risk, Version 2.5.12 (2.5.12.6230) (Other versions may work too, i just came across this one). This is why i am saying "keep my fingers crossed", and i cant really attach the link i guess, snice this post may be banned right away. 

After I downloaded and installed the Studio app, i restarted my Mac, launched the Studio app. I received a message that this app is not optimized for my Mac, meaning it is 32-bit. I ignored the message and opened the Quik app. Now all the videos are playing as they should. BUT, i have 4K videos lagging pretty bad (they do not lag if i open them in Finder, whether it is QuikTime or Preview apps). It may be due to graphics memory being on a lower end for Quik

Please let me know if this works for anyone else or if your outcome is a bit different, or if that didnt help at all. 

Thanks

Anonymous

[ New ]

I wish I could find that 2.5.12.6230 download somewhere but I can't.

I just spent 45 mn with gopro on the phone, to listen to absurd things like upgrading my graphics card driver, yes, on a mac with macos.

at this point I am just hoping the next Mac OS version will bring that back to normal, for me it started when I upgraded to High Sierra just a year ago. Diligently installed all quik updates as they came out, and none fixed the problem.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi, i had a live chat with gopro help and she linked me to this: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/What-are-the-Minimum-System-Requirements-for-GoPro-A...

I have the same problem and it is because our processor is Intelcore i5, ideally Quik should only be downloaded on laptops with intelcore i7 as shown in the link. "You can still use Quik but you need to meet all the system requirements, if not, you can still use it but you will get issues like blank footage." - this means we have to upgrade/change our macbook processors to a higher version. 

I was recommended to use Quik on my mobile and then sent this link about choppy playback: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-to-Correct-Choppy-or-Broken-Up-Playback

Hope this helps you.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @Anonymous. Other members having the same issue as yours will find this greatly helpful. Best regards!

Hiker

[ New ]

The point is that the same Quik version started to have issues after macOS update. It was working just fine before last summer update release.

Yes, it makes sense they would recommend a more powerful processor to get better experience, however I have already proved in this thread (see earlier posts) that Quik is able to playback normally on the same machine after clean install of macOS with i5 processor and 512 MB Video RAM. Although, it is beneficial to have more powerful components, the system requirements do not play the key role in this issue. I have another macbook that is less powerful than my iMac. I installed Quik for the first time on that machine for testing purposes (after I started to have this balck screen playback on my iMac). Macbook was updated to the same latest macOS version. And it was working seamlessly and all videos inculding 4K had NO issues with playback.

It is quite incompetent by GoPro support to suggest you to spend another $1000-1500 on new Mac so that you could watch footage made with your $400 camera. 

What is more bothering, no one from their support team has followed up with me on this issue for 6mo+, as they promised. So unprofessional

Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro's support is quite incompetent.

It is very possible that Quik got bricked by a Mac OS X update or vice versa, but it's kind of irrelevant at this point this GoPro doesn't seem to be competent enough to figure out what happened.

For me personally, it started last year prior to the release of High Sierra. I remember upgrading both Quik and OS X and only used Quik days after the update to eventually realise video playback was gone.

I use Quik as a browsing library only so it's not a huge deal but I just hate things that don't work like they're supposed to.

I am kind of excited for the new Mac OS X update in a couple weeks; because it may very well fix the Quik issue and if it doesn't that new Gallery app seems like it will do exactly what I need, if so I'll just keep Quik for imports; or even uninstall it and get a SD card reader.

Tourist

[ New ]

Anyone get this to work? Short of buying a new macbook :( 

Their software is so bad. Try using Fusion Studio!

Any other timelapse stitching software you'd recommend?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Just downloaded Quik...no video footage...I was about to contact GoPro, but they don't appear to help anyone at all. Think the Hero 3 is going to be getting put in the bin if I can't use it!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @stoutsand61740

Kindly go over the minimum system requirements for Quik for Desktop.

Is your camera being detected but just shows No Files to Import?

Please go over the troubleshooting steps on this article.

Another option to import files is by using an SD card adapter, see if this option works.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej