Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Black screen playback Quick for macOS Sierra

Thank you for sharing, @melissad78325. Other members having the same issue as yours will find this greatly helpful. Best regards!

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

The point is that the same Quik version started to have issues after macOS update. It was working just fine before last summer update release.

Yes, it makes sense they would recommend a more powerful processor to get better experience, however I have already proved in this thread (see earlier posts) that Quik is able to playback normally on the same machine after clean install of macOS with i5 processor and 512 MB Video RAM. Although, it is beneficial to have more powerful components, the system requirements do not play the key role in this issue. I have another macbook that is less powerful than my iMac. I installed Quik for the first time on that machine for testing purposes (after I started to have this balck screen playback on my iMac). Macbook was updated to the same latest macOS version. And it was working seamlessly and all videos inculding 4K had NO issues with playback.

It is quite incompetent by GoPro support to suggest you to spend another $1000-1500 on new Mac so that you could watch footage made with your $400 camera. 

What is more bothering, no one from their support team has followed up with me on this issue for 6mo+, as they promised. So unprofessional

Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro's support is quite incompetent.

It is very possible that Quik got bricked by a Mac OS X update or vice versa, but it's kind of irrelevant at this point this GoPro doesn't seem to be competent enough to figure out what happened.

For me personally, it started last year prior to the release of High Sierra. I remember upgrading both Quik and OS X and only used Quik days after the update to eventually realise video playback was gone.

I use Quik as a browsing library only so it's not a huge deal but I just hate things that don't work like they're supposed to.

I am kind of excited for the new Mac OS X update in a couple weeks; because it may very well fix the Quik issue and if it doesn't that new Gallery app seems like it will do exactly what I need, if so I'll just keep Quik for imports; or even uninstall it and get a SD card reader.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Anyone get this to work? Short of buying a new macbook :( 

Their software is so bad. Try using Fusion Studio!

Any other timelapse stitching software you'd recommend?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Just downloaded Quik...no video footage...I was about to contact GoPro, but they don't appear to help anyone at all. Think the Hero 3 is going to be getting put in the bin if I can't use it!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @stoutsand61740

Kindly go over the minimum system requirements for Quik for Desktop.

Is your camera being detected but just shows No Files to Import?

Please go over the troubleshooting steps on this article.

Another option to import files is by using an SD card adapter, see if this option works.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej