Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Black screen playback Quick for macOS Sierra

Hi @turbo1987

Feel free to post back once the update is completed. Let us know if it makes a difference.

Just a heads up: we have been receiving some reports about this where the file only plays the audio but does not have the image/video.  This is being looked at by the team in charge.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Having this issue as well. Was working just before I updated to 2.6.1.713 

Currently on High Sierra 10.13.4

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for sharing, @quickdive01842. This is currently being worked on by the team. We will post back once we have an update. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Has anyone figured this out besides having to do a complete re-install of my entire system?

I am on hold with GoPro and I am beyond frustrated. Poor English from my customer service support Rep. Bad understanding of what I am trying to accomplish and he seems to have no answers so far.

Can anyone recommend another program that will actually work?

For the amount of money we pay for this camera you would think that getting the editing software would be a priority.

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya can you please give us an ETA on solving this? I have been on the phone with the support for about 5 times now since I posted this August 2017, it is June 2018 now Smiley Mad.  And they keep offering some solutinos that do not make sense, like update your macOS, or restart your Mac in Safe Mode. After each phone call I keep getting the same answer: "We will contact щнг later with a possible solution". I would at least appreciate if someone ever calls me back, everytime i have to reach out myself. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@coolcat37 GoPro Support veers away from solving this. I decided to dig through this once again, and i found another workaround for myself, possibly for others too. Keep my fingers crossed this post will stay

I went online and googled for GoPro Studio app for Mac. since it is not officialy suported anymore, i had to go through a third party website.  This is a tricky part, I downloaded installation file at my own risk, Version 2.5.12 (2.5.12.6230) (Other versions may work too, i just came across this one). This is why i am saying "keep my fingers crossed", and i cant really attach the link i guess, snice this post may be banned right away. 

After I downloaded and installed the Studio app, i restarted my Mac, launched the Studio app. I received a message that this app is not optimized for my Mac, meaning it is 32-bit. I ignored the message and opened the Quik app. Now all the videos are playing as they should. BUT, i have 4K videos lagging pretty bad (they do not lag if i open them in Finder, whether it is QuikTime or Preview apps). It may be due to graphics memory being on a lower end for Quik

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 9.15.21 PM.png

Please let me know if this works for anyone else or if your outcome is a bit different, or if that didnt help at all. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Tourist

I wish I could find that 2.5.12.6230 download somewhere but I can't.

I just spent 45 mn with gopro on the phone, to listen to absurd things like upgrading my graphics card driver, yes, on a mac with macos.

at this point I am just hoping the next Mac OS version will bring that back to normal, for me it started when I upgraded to High Sierra just a year ago. Diligently installed all quik updates as they came out, and none fixed the problem.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi, i had a live chat with gopro help and she linked me to this: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/What-are-the-Minimum-System-Requirements-for-GoPro-A...

I have the same problem and it is because our processor is Intelcore i5, ideally Quik should only be downloaded on laptops with intelcore i7 as shown in the link. "You can still use Quik but you need to meet all the system requirements, if not, you can still use it but you will get issues like blank footage." - this means we have to upgrade/change our macbook processors to a higher version. 

I was recommended to use Quik on my mobile and then sent this link about choppy playback: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-to-Correct-Choppy-or-Broken-Up-Playback

Hope this helps you.