Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Beta Updates for Fusion and for GoPro Fusion Studio Now Available

I believe this is a cineform codec problem. If you use 264 or pro res, you shouldn’t have a problem.

If pro res doesn’t work for you, you can use can use the command line to render 5.7k with 264.
Highlighted
Nomad

And for those of you who missed it earlier.  How to stop GoPro Fusion Studio from Crashing during the Stitching Process.

Highlighted
Tourist

@irishmanpdx OMG! That is awesome!! You just fixed hours of frustration and me almost throwing in the towel on this whole thing. Thanks so much!!!

Highlighted
Nomad

Glad the tip helped.

I'm hoping to load up that channel with other tips and workflow notes, so if you can think of something useful or something you need help with, just leave a comment on the channel!

Highlighted
Hiker

@irishmanpdx wrote:

And for those of you who missed it earlier.  How to stop GoPro Fusion Studio from Crashing during the Stitching Process.

Thanks for this, I'll see if it works on my end.

The underlying problem seems to be a memory leak. I figure this solves the problem in a round about way, but doesn't absolve gopro on the poor software they've produced and continued to produce with false promises. 

Highlighted
Nomad

"I figure this solves the problem in a round about way, but doesn't absolve gopro on the poor software they've produced and continued to produce with false promises"

Although it's frustrating that the software is crash prone, I can undestand why this is so.  Apple has a very tight strong hold on the hardware and software that can run on it's machines.  Windows is more like the wild wild west.  There's countless PC makers out there all using different configurations of memory, hard discs, GPU's, motherboards, processors not to mention home builders who build their own custom rigs.  So trying to get one program to work on every single combination out there.......  yeah right.

When the GoPro Fusion Studio 1.4 came out it did actually solve a number of issue's, however work seems to have stopped on this.  Why?  Because of the upcoming GoPro Max.

Does this mean we'll see no further support for the GoPro Fusion and be left with a Buggy Fusion studio?

I'm actually guessing not, especially if things go the way of the Android app.  GoPro have said they are working on a new version of a reframing program for the Max that works with Windows.  More than likely this will support the Fusion also.  However, due to the vast amount of hardware differences and combinations with the Windows O/S, this is going to take some time.  They are concentrating on getting this software working an reliable, so as a result, we're not seeing updates for Fusion Studio or QUIK, why bother fixing something that's broke if there's a completely new version of software on the way?

They took this approach with the app and it worked out for the best so hopefully they can get things working soon for the 360 camera's in Windows.  However it will take time.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
You’re drinking the koolaid and quoting, verbatim, what GoPro has said.

1.4 Beta was released a year ago. No release of 1.4 yet. When you call support they still tell you it’s a beta and they don’t support it.

Max “stitches” in camera, uses 1 SD card, and those files contain gpx data. This is a clear architecture change from the fusion. Considering they can’t even get each device right on their own software, does not induce faith they will support the fusion. Believe what you want, but a year on, they have done nothing for the fusion.

Edit: in fact if you use the command line with fusion studio beta 1.4, you can see the bug reporting url that’s supposed to be there to get feedback has been disabled. So they are clearly not interested in feedback.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

To comment on the Windows specific issue. The misconception that windows is so fragmented that its beyond difficult to code reliably is smoke an mirrors. If this was the case, it wouldn't be the enterprise choice. 

I'm a mac user. The windows app stitches 5x quicker than the mac version. But it doesn't work on bootcamp. I have to use my desktop (which has worse specs than my macbook pro i9 2018 with vega 20). So there's a multitude of issues dealing with coding quality and not the platform their coding for. 

You can disagree, but look at the competition. Insta360 has done a great job. Had I known the pitfalls, gopro would have not been my choice. But at this moment, and using the past 1 year to see their inaction, GoPro is faltering. Buy the Insta360 One X and you'll be happier. I own both, and I continue to comment on here because I don't want people to fall into the false hope promise. Yes, the hardware for the GoPro is better, in my opinion, when I am willing to do the extra work to get the footage, but the One X is pretty much just as good with better software and I use it 90% of the time.

To each their own, but we live in the world of vaporware and GoPro perpetuates the problem with false promises.