Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Re: Auto rotation not working

[ Edited ]

Ryan, Thank you

This is misleading then, to me auto rotate means just that, it doesn't mean the camera will work upside or upside right only.

BTW, my username should be Vertigo but the software saved my mistype without me hitting the save button and it won't let me correct it, although there is a claim the username can be changed once..

GoPro

@vertifo You can only change the nickname once. If you would like to change it again you would need to create a new account.

Best,

Ryan

Tourist

Ryan, Being allowed to change it only once (Which is ridiculous btw) means changing it once after a name has been used, it doesn't mean making a mistake and not being able to correct it the first time.

I'm not going to create a new email account just have a new nickname, that again is a bit silly..

Gopro like so many other companies now days is so intent on telling the customer what they can and can't do they seem to forget that without the customer they have no business, but then again, once a company is large enough who cares about that, right?

Tourist

Ryanv, the auto rotation feature DOES NOT work properly. I have camera fixed on my roadbike upside down. I always use timelapse mode and I always start photo shooting when my bike stands/rides on the ground (bike is not upside down :)
About 70% of the pictures are auto-rotated by gopro, rest is not.
Case is very simple, it's hard for me to understand your position saying that gopro works fine and there is no issue...

Thanks
T.
Sightseer

why doesnt auto rotate work all the time I see in the forums there is alot of people with the same issue duuuu it cant just be me.

Sightseer

On my hero session if the camera select button is either on the top of the camera or on the bottom then all is fine and the videos/photos are the right way up. If on the other hand the select button is on either side of the camera as opposed to top or bottom then there is no orientation to the right way up.

This is not what your literature claims - am I doing something wrong?

Tourist

No Ryan, it doesn't work. More accurately stated, it doesn't work very consistently.

GoPro people: Like others in this thread, I have the camera mounted upside down with "auto-rotate" turned on. When I start recording the camera is in the upside down position. That position DOES NOT change at all throughout the filming session. When I import the videos some are correctly oriented and some are not.

Is this a firmware issue? Is it a hardware issue? The GoPro moderator responses here seem to be completely ignoring the problem. Saying "they can easily be rotated after imported" is not an acceptable answer. What is the point of the auto rotate feature if it doesn't work? This is a feature advertised with the camera and if it doesn't work and no immediate plans to fix it, then the camera is defective and anyone who cares about this feature (I do!) has a rightful claim for a full refund.

Sightseer

Still waiting for GoPro to chime in on this one. My Hero 6 will auto rotate some, but not all my videos even though the cameras position does not change.