Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Auto rotation not working

I understand my Hero 5 Black should keep the video upright, irrespective of the way the gpopro is mounted. 

When filming, the image displayed on the rear screen indeed does correctly stay upright. However when playing back that footage, it rotates on the recorded film?

I believe this to be a software issue that needs fixing. Please advise.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Auto rotation not working

@greendive63238 - The cameras are designed to show content in a landscape format. If you want to show the content in portrait mode, there are some video and photo editors that can rotate the content for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro Community Manager

@greendive63238 - The orientation on the video itself won't shift if you rotate the camera in the middle of a shot. In other words, if you start recording with the camera facing upright and while continuing to shoot you turn the camera upside down, the second part of that video will display upside down. Basically, whichever way the camera is when the recording is started is the orientation it will stay as long as that recording continues.

If you're seeing something else, please let us know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

Thanks Jeff, I must have misunderstood the literature.

I have tested this and yes, if gopro is upside down at start of recording, image would appear right side up at play back .

However this doesn't work if gopro is  oriented to 'portrait'...or 45 degrees.  In this case recorded video is recorded sideways!

Why is it that the rear lcd screen can auto rotate (auto level), but the recorded video cannot match what is shown on the screen. Wouldn't this be beneficial in many situations. ? Perhaps this functionality could be considered for a future software update?

Thanks.

GoPro Community Manager

@greendive63238 - The cameras are designed to show content in a landscape format. If you want to show the content in portrait mode, there are some video and photo editors that can rotate the content for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

I don't want to record in portrait. But if the camera gets mounted in portrait, why doesn't it record in landscape. Again, if the rear lcd screen can 'self level' perhaps a new software option, or new camera setting, could be a new feature for a future update.
GoPro Community Manager

@greendive63238 - What would it look like when the camera is mounted portrait style, but recording in landscape? Would the image be shrunk down to fit across the narrow part of the screen with black boxes above and below the video image?

If so, most cameras record using the full screen, whether they are in a portrait or landscape orientation.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

I am having the same issue. The auto rotation was set to "auto" but when I flip the camera upside down (before recording) the screen wont flip with it. I reset the camera, reset defaults, tried resetting auto rotation, nothing worked. It still doesnt auto rotate. I have a gopro hero 5. I think their is some sort of malfunction...

Hiker

Hello, i got the same problem with the automatic rotation.
On the motorbike . Some video are oké and the next shot is upside down.....