Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

Artifacts when using GoPro quick

When playing back footage in Quick, i see artifacts such as shown in the example below at certain moments. This is on a clean installed windows operating system. I also see these artifacts using the default Windows player "Films & TV". What can be causing this? When i use VLC or media player classic, i do not see such artifacts. 

My gopro: Sandisk extreme 32gb A1 V30 U3 (came with official "GoPro Hero 7 Black Special Bundle")

My pc:  Windows 10, intel i7-6700, Radeon x580, SSD, updated drivers

GoPro

Re: Artifacts when using GoPro quick

Hello @spookyaction. How is the playback on the camera? Are these artifacts observed? Does it happen to all the video files that you have? Could the resolution settings used be impacting? If you haven't yet, check out these troubleshooting tips and see if they make a difference. Let us know how it works out. 

Tourist

It happens with most footage i make where a sudden movement occurs (so a lot of changes in the scene recorded) playing back the video on the gopro itself is not a problem. It could be my processor which is maybe a bit old, but it's quite powerful still. I will experiment in lower resolutions. 

An additional thing and this might be important, when exporting a video, the exported file has the corruption encoded into it.

GoPro

Thank you for the update, @spookyaction. Let us know how it goes when using a lower resolution. Which resolutions were you recording in, by the way? 

Also, what particular error/message do you get to indicate the encoded corruption? Is this when exporting after editing in Quik for desktop?

Tourist

The resolution i used was 1440@60 fps, 4:3.

I imported a file into quik, then when i play it in quik, i observe artefacts. When i play the same imported file in VLC, i see no artefacts.

Saving the imported file in Quik will create a video, which has artefacts "recorded" into it. Playing this saved file in VLC will show the artefacts.

So my theory is that the imported source file contains no artefacts, but the decoder introduces these artefacts. I assume Quik uses this decoder when exporting the file, so after exporting, the resulting file will permantly have the artefacts in it. 

Did not have time to record in lower res, but I need to be able to record in high res anyway, so that would not solve my problem.

GoPro

Thank you for the additional details you provided. If available and accessible, see if the same image quality issue is observed when a different computer is used, or a different resolution setting is used for recording.

The resolution setting you have used (1440p,60fps) could have used the HEVC format. There are instances when even if the computer meets the HEVC requirements, it may still struggle to play back especially if it is an "older" computer.  We recommend using the H.264 to maximize compatibility with older devices and HEVC for advance settings. 

If this is not the case with your computer though, let our Support team know so they can assist you further. You may reach them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs .