Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Sightseer
Bad quality when I upload videos in Gopro Studio on mac

When I try to edit my gopro videos in Gopro Studio the quality gets really bad. I also uploaded them in Quik, where the videoquality is so good. Therefore I dont understand why the quality gets bad in Gopro Studio. 

Does anyone know what I could do? 

Nomad
Re: Bad quality when I upload videos in Gopro Studio on mac

Hi there, could you explain a little better what you mean by bad quality? Bad colour, bad overall quality, ie pixelated?

What resolution are you choosing etc etc, also GoPro has discontinued studio so it’s time for a better editor.

Explorer
Just to add on a little, at what point are you seeing the bad video? Studio is a three step process. During step 1 and Step 2 the playback is defaulted to a low resolution. This has no effect on the final output but is designed this way to improve performance while editing. You can change the setting for full resolution but the video might stutter and skip during playback. It really depends on the computer your using.
Sightseer
Ok, I didn`t know that. But the final product is not good at all. I tried to make a short video to see if the quality changed after I saved it on my mac. But the finished product is really bad and pixelated.
Sightseer
It´s bad overall. The video looks blurry and pixelated, although the clips are high resolution. They are filmed in 2.7K.
When I view the clips on my mac they look good and the pictures are sharp. But after I have opened them in Gopro Studio and made a movie, the result are bad.
I didn´t know they has discontinued studio. Do you have any suggestions for a better program to edit my videos?
Explorer
I'll send you a list of other optional video editors that you can try. Some are free and some you'll need to pay for.

In the meantime, what are the settings that you are using in studio? In Step 1 you set the video resolution quality by using the advanced clip control. If you go to the menu and edit and then select Advanced clip control you will have more options. During step one you can choose film scan to for the very best quality then film scan 1 high medium and low. After doing the conversion and moving on to step two you can apply your edits.

In Step 2 you will get varied results depending on what type of color correction you apply to the video. Once you are done with your edit and move on to step 3 you will then need to pick your settings for export including the bitrate. I believe Studio only exports at a Max of 50 bitrate Which is less than what they hero6 black produces. It should still look good but there will be a little bit of a drop in quality.

What settings are you using in Step 1 and then in step three for the export? Additionally, what is the resolution and framerate of the original video?
Sightseer

Okay. It would be really nice if you could make a list of good editing-programs. Now i use Quik, but I would like to edit another place where I have more options, and could choose the length of the clips etc. 

Explorer
Assuming you want a free editor and are using a Windows OS,
there are two I would recommend to try right off.
Simple and recommended by GoPro: VSDC http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download

Powerful but more complicated: DaVinci Resolve
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

You can also look through these articles/forums for other choices
https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/comments/19v6u5/basic_guide_to_pc_video_editing_software/

https://actiongadgetsreviews.com/best-gopro-editing-software