Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

why wont my hero3 update

Hey gurus

IM HAVING TROUBLE UPDATING THE SOFTWARE ON MY HERO 3. I'VE GOTTEN AS FAR AS THE UPDATE ON THE MICRO sd AND BACK IN MY GOPRO BUT IT SHOULD COME UP WITH A MESSAGE SAYING UPDATING HOWEVER THE CAMEA JUST TURNS ON AS NORMAL. THIS IS PROVENTING ME FROM BEING ABLE TO USE THE APP IN FULL IT WONT LET ME ACCESS THE MEDIA FILES. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: why wont my hero3 update

Hi @thomasd5638

If the camera or Wi-Fi software update fails, you can try the following steps to fix the problem:

1. Power off the camera.
  2. Reformat the SD card in the camera or in the computer.
  3. Redo the software update manually through the software updater.
  4. Try a different SD card if possible.

Once the update is downloaded to your computer, extract the UPDATE.zip folder.

There will be 4 files if you set up your camera’s name and Wi-Fi password.  If chose to perform the Software Update Only option, there will be 3 files.  Here’s a list of the files you’ll see for your camera. Remember; do not double-click on any of these files.  

HERO3: White Edition:

• HD3.01-firmware.bin

• WF3.01-app.bin

• update.cmd

• settings.in (Note – You will NOT have this file if you did a Software Update Only download)

Next, you need to put all software update files on the root level of your SD card. No need to create an UPDATE folder.

Eject the card from your computer and insert the SD card to your camera (make sure that the camera is powered OFF and disconnected from your computer).

Turn the camera ON, the update will begin automatically.

Once the camera beeps and turns itself OFF, power it back ON by pressing the Power button one time.

If all else fails, please contact our Support Team to further check on this. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards

EJ

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @kielh632,

If you are running into some issues getting that manual update to go through make sure you are doing the following:

• Make sure the UPDATE folder is unzipped/extracted, before placing it on the SD card;
  • Ensure the UPDATE folder does not have any additional characters in the folder title, i.e. "UPDATE (1)";
  • Format the SD card before placing the update folder/files onto the root of the card;
  • Make sure the camera is not plugged into anything such as BacPac's or computers;
  • Check the battery level of the camera and make sure it is sufficiently charged;
  • Make sure the individual files are placed on the SD card.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Ryan

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am having the same problem. My camera will not update and still boots up with the 01.10 software. When i pull the text file it shows that the WIFI is updated to 3.4.2.18 but the HD version is still the same 3.01.01.10. Here is the process I've been using.

I put the extracted files ( three of them) onto the root of the card. I'm using the right card BTW I've read all the other forums on here and picked that one up. A SanDisk extreme 64Gb, the one recommended on the GoPro site. I turn the camera on and it starts the update with the symbol of the camera and down arrow. It then says camera update failed. I remove the battery and reinsert it. Then I power it on and the update begins again. This time it starts and goes till it says 100%. Then beeps and turns off. Thats the only time it turns off during the process. I've sat and waited to see if it will turn it self back on as maybe that part of the process but it doesn't. when i switch it back on it still boots up and says 01.10. This is a Hero 3 white.

Any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @thomasd5638

If the camera or Wi-Fi software update fails, you can try the following steps to fix the problem:

1. Power off the camera.
  2. Reformat the SD card in the camera or in the computer.
  3. Redo the software update manually through the software updater.
  4. Try a different SD card if possible.

Once the update is downloaded to your computer, extract the UPDATE.zip folder.

There will be 4 files if you set up your camera’s name and Wi-Fi password.  If chose to perform the Software Update Only option, there will be 3 files.  Here’s a list of the files you’ll see for your camera. Remember; do not double-click on any of these files.  

HERO3: White Edition:

• HD3.01-firmware.bin

• WF3.01-app.bin

• update.cmd

• settings.in (Note – You will NOT have this file if you did a Software Update Only download)

Next, you need to put all software update files on the root level of your SD card. No need to create an UPDATE folder.

Eject the card from your computer and insert the SD card to your camera (make sure that the camera is powered OFF and disconnected from your computer).

Turn the camera ON, the update will begin automatically.

Once the camera beeps and turns itself OFF, power it back ON by pressing the Power button one time.

If all else fails, please contact our Support Team to further check on this. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards

EJ