Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

why is my camera getting hot while charging

[ New ]

I just receive my Hero 7 black.  I have unboxed it.  Inserted the SD card and battery.  While I have it plugged into a wall charger the cabera is getting very hot.  Is this a defect camera, battery, both?

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: why is my camera getting hot while charging

[ New ]

Glad you found the information useful.  If the overheat is related to the cable (and good for you for trying alternatives and investigation the issue) that could point to directly to a quality issue with the cable.  One thing you could try is charging the camera from 0% to 100% using the original cable and then again with your other cable and see if there's any time difference with charging.

If there is impedance due to low quality materials used in the cable, this could also cause an overheat  (while possibly taking the same amount of time to charge or a longer amount of time to charge).  In this case the heat would actually be generated around the USB port and not by the camera itself. 

You could do a lot of investigation on this issue (types of charger, length of cable, quality of material, possible cross connections etc.) and I'm sure the info would prove useful to GoPro and appreciated by those here who have overheating issues while charging.  Either way, chalk your discover up as a win and have fun with your camera! 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

You should make sure you are using an approved charger.  

USB wall charger that outputs 5V and 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO7 Black, Silver and White, HERO6 Black, Fusion, HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session). 

If your charger doesn't match these recommendations you could see some overheating of the camera.  Also make sure the camera isn't powered on while charging as this could put an additional load on the battery while charging also leading to overheating.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @slice1969

Thanks for choosing GoPro to capture great moments.

In addition to the information shared by  @irishmanpdx, make sure you are using a recommended SD card.

We also suggest a manual update.

https://gopro.com/update

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

What the heck does a recommended SD card have to do with over heating while charging. This just another example of the quality of support coming out of GoPro these days....sad.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Actually the request to use a recommended SD card is quite important and is a fine example of quality support by GoPro.  Since you've asked "what the heck does a recommended SD card have to do with overheating while charging" I will explain it to you in as simple terms as I can.

An SD card can be described as a complicated and vast array of very small micro transistors (which you can think of as switches).  These switches can be flipped by passing an electrical current through them. Think of one position as a 1 and another position as a 0.  This is how the information is getting stored on your memory card (again, in very simple terms).  Now there and lots and lots of these switches on your card that need to be flipped in order to store that data.  The more data being stored at a single time the more switches you need and the faster they will need to be flipped.  This requires more electricity (and this is key here). 

Now a slow card, can only handle so much electricity being passed through it at one time, think of it as pouring a bucket of liquid into a funnel which then drains into another bucket.  You can only pass so much liquid through the funnel at one time.  If you try to pour more liquid into the funnel than the funnel can handle, you get "overflow".  In the case of the memory card, the "overflow" takes the form of "heat". 

So with a camera like the GoPro Hero 7 that takes high quality images and video, it's trying to write that information to the memory card as fast as possible.  If you put in a recommended memory card that can handle the "Flow" of information, then it's fine, it can flip all those little switches as fast as is needed.  However, if you were to put too slow a memory card into the camera, then the "flow" becomes restricted and certain things happen.  Information can become corrupt, you get dropped frames, glitches and most of the time, overheating.

So you may be thinking that "Well my camera is charging, not taking pictures, so it shouldn't be overheating".  Well that's where you're missing out on a knowledge of the basic architecture of your camera.  The memory card isn't just some additional bit of hardware that only gets used when taking a photo or video.  It's actually more of an essential component that gets used all the time by the camera.  This can be for information storage, hardware and firmware checks or system process handling (such as the flow of electricity entering your camera while charging in order to observe temperatures and initiate a shutdown if overheating occurs from using a non recommended charger).  If your camera didn't do these checks it could overheat or be damaged by using nonstandard devices to charge it or by trying to force information at too high a rate onto too slow a memory card (and trying to do this would also result in overheating).  Whereas your camera will turn on, charge and run some limited functions without an SD card, once the SD card is inserted it becomes an integral part of the correct functioning of your camera. So while charging, once your memory card is in the camera, it becomes an essential part of the correct functioning and therefore requires it be able to handle the load of information flowing through it.  So therefore having a non recommended card in the camera can actually cause overheating issues.  

If you have further questions or would like to know more about how electricity works, and how it’s integrated into electrical design components, I would recommend the following reading:

Electrical Engineering 101: Everything You Should Have Learned in School...but Probably Didn't 3rd E...

Linear System Theory and Design (The Oxford Series in Electrical and Computer Engineering) 4th Editi... Encyclopedia of Electronic Components Volume 3: Sensors for Location, Presence, Proximity, Orientati... The Long Arm of Moore's Law: Microelectronics and American Science (Inside Technology) 

Hopefully this has helped inform you and answered your question regarding “What the heck does a recommended SD card have to do with overheating while charging”.

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

Actually the request to use a recommended SD card is quite important and is a fine example of quality support by GoPro.  Since you've asked "what the heck does a recommended SD card have to do with overheating while charging" I will explain it to you in as simple terms as I can.

An SD card can be described as a complicated and vast array of very small micro transistors (which you can think of as switches).  These switches can be flipped by passing an electrical current through them. Think of one position as a 1 and another position as a 0.  This is how the information is getting stored on your memory card (again, in very simple terms).  Now there and lots and lots of these switches on your card that need to be flipped in order to store that data.  The more data being stored at a single time the more switches you need and the faster they will need to be flipped.  This requires more electricity (and this is key here). 

Now a slow card, can only handle so much electricity being passed through it at one time, think of it as pouring a bucket of liquid into a funnel which then drains into another bucket.  You can only pass so much liquid through the funnel at one time.  If you try to pour more liquid into the funnel than the funnel can handle, you get "overflow".  In the case of the memory card, the "overflow" takes the form of "heat". 

So with a camera like the GoPro Hero 7 that takes high quality images and video, it's trying to write that information to the memory card as fast as possible.  If you put in a recommended memory card that can handle the "Flow" of information, then it's fine, it can flip all those little switches as fast as is needed.  However, if you were to put too slow a memory card into the camera, then the "flow" becomes restricted and certain things happen.  Information can become corrupt, you get dropped frames, glitches and most of the time, overheating.

So you may be thinking that "Well my camera is charging, not taking pictures, so it shouldn't be overheating".  Well that's where you're missing out on a knowledge of the basic architecture of your camera.  The memory card isn't just some additional bit of hardware that only gets used when taking a photo or video.  It's actually more of an essential component that gets used all the time by the camera.  This can be for information storage, hardware and firmware checks or system process handling (such as the flow of electricity entering your camera while charging in order to observe temperatures and initiate a shutdown if overheating occurs from using a non recommended charger).  If your camera didn't do these checks it could overheat or be damaged by using nonstandard devices to charge it or by trying to force information at too high a rate onto too slow a memory card (and trying to do this would also result in overheating).  Whereas your camera will turn on, charge and run some limited functions without an SD card, once the SD card is inserted it becomes an integral part of the correct functioning of your camera. So while charging, once your memory card is in the camera, it becomes an essential part of the correct functioning and therefore requires it be able to handle the load of information flowing through it.  So therefore having a non recommended card in the camera can actually cause overheating issues.  

If you have further questions or would like to know more about how electricity works, and how it’s integrated into electrical design components, I would recommend the following reading:

Electrical Engineering 101: Everything You Should Have Learned in School...but Probably Didn't 3rd E...

Linear System Theory and Design (The Oxford Series in Electrical and Computer Engineering) 4th Editi... Encyclopedia of Electronic Components Volume 3: Sensors for Location, Presence, Proximity, Orientati... The Long Arm of Moore's Law: Microelectronics and American Science (Inside Technology) 

Hopefully this has helped inform you and answered your question regarding “What the heck does a recommended SD card have to do with overheating while charging”.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I actually appreciate the details and explanation provided.  I will say that I have the SD card that I am using is a recommended SD card since it is the one that was shipped with my HERO7 from GoPro.  To follow up though I will say that I suspect the issue was with the USB cable I was using.  Instead of using the cable that came with the camera I used my Samsung G9 phone cable.  I switched cables to the one that came with the phone and no longer noticed over heating.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Glad you found the information useful.  If the overheat is related to the cable (and good for you for trying alternatives and investigation the issue) that could point to directly to a quality issue with the cable.  One thing you could try is charging the camera from 0% to 100% using the original cable and then again with your other cable and see if there's any time difference with charging.

If there is impedance due to low quality materials used in the cable, this could also cause an overheat  (while possibly taking the same amount of time to charge or a longer amount of time to charge).  In this case the heat would actually be generated around the USB port and not by the camera itself. 

You could do a lot of investigation on this issue (types of charger, length of cable, quality of material, possible cross connections etc.) and I'm sure the info would prove useful to GoPro and appreciated by those here who have overheating issues while charging.  Either way, chalk your discover up as a win and have fun with your camera! 

Tourist

[ New ]
Works
Sightseer

[ New ]
My camera is getting hot while recording. We just opened it and began using it, and the camera itself is hot to the touch. What could this be? We did an update as soon as we turned the camera on.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @spiryhill32704

If the update was not done manually, try re-flashing the firmware via manual update. This is to ensure that any possible issue with the current installation will be cleared out. There are steps here to guide you through the process. Make sure to select the correct camera model, and to look under Manual Update for instructions. 

Which SD card are you using? Is it among the recommended ones on this list? If it is, try formatting the card first prior to using it again. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 

Marius