Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

why does looping stop at 5 minutes

[ New ]

Hello, my Hero 7 Black in Looping Mode only records one single 5 minute video then stops.  It is set for 60 minutes at 1080p 60.  

Is there another setting somewhere limiting my looping video to 5 minutes?

Thank you

Brett Lehman

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: why does looping stop at 5 minutes

[ New ]

@95beaver, when recording a video longer than 15 to 20 minutes, files are likely to show as segmented or chaptered when viewed on your computer. Thus, applying this to the Looping mode (e.g. 20 minutes interval) will divide your video into 5-minute chapters. Check out this article How Does Looping Work? for a detailed explanation of how looping in GoPro camera works.

View solution in original post

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @95beaver

HERO8 Black, MAX, HERO7 Black, HERO6 Black, Fusion, HERO5 Black & HERO5 Session, HERO4 Black & Silver, HERO (2018)

• Chapter size: approx. 4.0 GB
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 5 min: 1 minute
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 20 min and above:  5 minutes

See GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information for reference.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @95beaver,

Did you confirm if the looping video settings is at 60min before recording?

Regards,

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes it was in 20 minute setting when i first noticed the problem, last week. This week moved it to the 60 minute setting and have the same issue.
GoPro

[ New ]

@95beaver, when recording a video longer than 15 to 20 minutes, files are likely to show as segmented or chaptered when viewed on your computer. Thus, applying this to the Looping mode (e.g. 20 minutes interval) will divide your video into 5-minute chapters. Check out this article How Does Looping Work? for a detailed explanation of how looping in GoPro camera works.

Tourist

[ New ]
I tried reset, and a factory reset with same results. Looping for 20 minutes results in stopping after 20 and a single 5 minute file in my camera from the first 5 minutes of looping. Computer or phone not connected.
Tourist

[ New ]

I figured out looping is recording for the full 20 minutes, or 60 minutes.  The issue is now that the camera (Hero7Black) only shows a single 5 minute video has recorded.  When connected to a computer all of the 5 minute chapters downloaded.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @95beaver

HERO8 Black, MAX, HERO7 Black, HERO6 Black, Fusion, HERO5 Black & HERO5 Session, HERO4 Black & Silver, HERO (2018)

• Chapter size: approx. 4.0 GB
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 5 min: 1 minute
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 20 min and above:  5 minutes

See GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information for reference.

Thanks!

Ej