Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

where to find Hero5 firmware Update 01.57

Can someone help me? My Hero5 is still using the version 01.50 and it wont update to the latest version 2.60. Can someone teach me how to update? i have been trying with all the suggested method - manually and through the app and desktop, but it does not work. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: where to find Hero5 firmware Update 01.57

What steps are you taking to update manually and what SD card are you using? Be specific so we can identify where you might not be updating correctly.
Highlighted
Tourist

I have tried updating the gopro via the app. And then ive tried using the usb connection to connect my gopro and my macbook pro - via the quik desktop application. Do i have to update the gopro in succession of the version or it is possible to just jump from 01.50 to 2.60?

Im having trouble with my SD card reader in my mac. So i havent been updating my gopro via that method.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @epicpeak38181. You can update directly from 1.50 to 2.60. It would be best to manually update the camera firmware. If you have access to a different computer (not necessarily one that meets the system requirements for Quik for desktop), that would be a way to go. There are instructions below to guide you through the update process: 

1. Go to the HERO5 Black or HERO5 Session update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Make sure to format your SD card prior to saving the UPDATE folder on it. Feel free to post back for any other questions or concerns. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi there, 

thank you so much for your help, while i have done the steps you have indicated, i still can't believe my gopro is still not updateing manually. I have downloaded the update folder into the SD card. but whenever i turn my gopro on, it says that my battary is too low for an update. which is ridiculous because the battery is obviouslly fully charged.. what is wrong with my gopro.. its like im having a mindless debate with it 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @epicpeak38181,

Please try to charge it again before updating and if issue persist please contact our customer support team via phone or chat.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Explorer

@epicpeak38181 wrote:

I have downloaded the update folder into the SD card. 

Just for clarification, you are not directly downloading the Update file to your SD card, right?

You should first download to your computer.  After, Extract the UPDATE folder from the UPDATE.zip file to your computer.  Once done, insert your SD card into your computer using a USB/SD adapter.  Format your SD card and then move the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto the card.  Eject the card and then insert it into your camera.  With a fully charged battery, power on the camera using the side Mode/Power button.

Finally, you SD card should be from this list.