Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

what time lapse interval is recommended to capture two hours movement in about 10 minutes?

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: what time lapse interval is recommended to capture two hours movement in about 10 minutes?

For smooth playback you will want to have enough pictures to achieve at least 24fps. I could be way off, but here is my math.

2 hours = 7,200 seconds - Recording time
10 minutes = 600 seconds - Desired playback time
7,200/600 = 12
12*24(fps) = 288 - required frames per minute to be played back (34,560 total photos)
288/60 (seconds in a minute) = 4.8

You'll want an interval of 5 seconds.

Each photo will be about 2.3 MB
There are 1,000 MB in each 1 GB
You can take about 435 photos per GB
You need about 80 GB free for a total of 2 hours at 5 second interval

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

Re: what time lapse interval is recommended to capture two hours movement in about 10 minutes?

For smooth playback you will want to have enough pictures to achieve at least 24fps. I could be way off, but here is my math.

2 hours = 7,200 seconds - Recording time
10 minutes = 600 seconds - Desired playback time
7,200/600 = 12
12*24(fps) = 288 - required frames per minute to be played back (34,560 total photos)
288/60 (seconds in a minute) = 4.8

You'll want an interval of 5 seconds.

Each photo will be about 2.3 MB
There are 1,000 MB in each 1 GB
You can take about 435 photos per GB
You need about 80 GB free for a total of 2 hours at 5 second interval
Hiker

Thank you for your help with this.  I am experimenting using your calculations and camerea settings.

Explorer

No problem. Usually when doing time lapse the first consideration is the change in subject. For example, a flower opening, ice melting, or construction of a new building will all take place at different paces. A flower opening to the sunrise might take around 1 hour (I'm guessing, I haven't done this), ice melting 2 hours, and the building a month or so.

Choosing the interval is usually based on how much change takes place between each photo. Your situation is unique in that you are basing it on a set record and playback time. I hope it works out the way you plan (and that my math is correct). I'm glad to hear your testing it out before doing your actual project.

Please come back and let us know how it's going. And, Post the video if you can. 😊
Hiker

My plan is to film a mechanical process that I estimate will take somewhere between one and two hours to complete, then to have a resulting video that would run about ten minutes to show the whole process.  It is impractical to continuously record at actual speed for that long a period and then somehow edit it down to ten minutes (besides, I don't know how to do that anyway).  I am guessing that I can make some adjustments during editing to either speed up or slow down the video shot in time lapse mode to fine tune the end result to the duration desired but I will still need to learn how to do this.

I'll be using an auxiliary plug-in "power bank" battery to keep the GoPro running while shooting the video.

Really appreciate your doing the math and providing good advice.  Have looked at your post illustrating the different camera resolution and frame speed settings too.