Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

weird light halo

Hello everyone

I have just got a hero 7b to replace my h4b. It is a nice camera to use and when i get a clean shot i really like the footage it captures. My problem is i am getting a hazey white light on the footage. I started with the settings i have in my h4b and even capturing the footage at the same time as my 7b the 4b doesnt get this hazey light. it happens in undercover light like in the linked video and also in the open sunshine.

4k 30fps ,iso 100/1600, ev comp -1,sharp-low,colour-flat.everything else auto

https://youtu.be/X-c_slLczPQ

I have tried 60fps 2 & 4k with the low light setting on auto and it didnt make a difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Hiker

Re: weird light halo

you got fog or condensation on your lens from the inside. Or possibly a scratch on the inside or outside of your lens. This has nothing to do with digital settings of any kind this has to do with something phyical with the hardware such as a scratch on the lens or moisture on the lens some where. Even though you are in the shade of a forest with no direct sunlight you can still get a lens sun flare depending on the angle and direction of the light source. So in a nutshell check your lens closely inside and out easy to do on your hero 7 since you can remove the lens cover. To be clear check both square lens cover and the actual round lens under the protective lens to see they are clear from scratches or moisture. Also remember if you take a cold camera or lens out into a hot or warm humid enviroment you will get fog or condensation on the lens or protective glass lens. 

Hiker

have you cleaned the lens? Remember that on the Hero 7b the front lens protector can come off so you can try cleaning both sides of this and the actual lens with an alcohol wipe.
Sightseer

Thank you for your reply. I have taken the cover of and cleaned and re-installed it. Will test it out tomorrow. TBH it looked very clean before i cleaned it. Is the lens a sealed area or can moisture get in there easily? Thanks

Hiker

under the square protective gorilla glass lens cover yes moisture can get inside expeically if at one time you took the lens cover off at some point and put it back on. Moisture can reside on the inside surface area behind the protective gorilla glass lens and when warmed up ie: camera operation gets the camera warm it will turn that moisture or water vapor into condensation or fog. I would clean the inside of the protective lens cover with the alcohol wipe and do this in a warm dry non humid location so no moisture gets inside the camera. So dont do this in a cold garage or porch with cold moisture in the air or say a steamy bathroom do it in a dry non humid location. 

Hiker

i got that sometimes too,im sure its your lens wich got a bit dirty,or i mean fingertips on it,there is no lens hood to avoid sun to reflect on it and i do clean each time to make sure to avoid that

Adventurer

As said, from Others.   if it happens again keep the lens protector off, and see if it happens with it off, if Yes, then the 7 to 8 layer lenses may have an issue?

Sightseer

Thanks to all that helped us out. TBH i was not really aware of the how's and why's of moisture build up in the lens. Coming from a h4b which has a open style lens i am finding this 7b to be quite different. That being said i took the lens apart last night and cleaned it(not that it looked dirty at al tbh) and went out today and filmed......and gues what.......no halo!!! so stoked!!! Thanks to all. chur chur