Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

web cam

Is there a way to use my Hero 3 as a webcam? its hard to find a good webcam these days. everything is on backorder.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: web cam

You would need to use the Micro HDMI out on the side of the camera to connect it to a compatible HDMI capture card that plugs into your PC or laptop.  Be warned, the audio quality and video quality will be less than that of a good $40 HD webcam, also there could be about a 2 second delay from the feed.  If you need to order a HDMI capture card it will also be on backorder, in which case you may as well just buy a webcam as it would be far more suitable for the job.

Highlighted
Adventurer

At the gopro site the  manual and box does  not say its a webcam. that said outside sources like a webcam could be obtained for a lot less  then using the gopro asa webcam

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

yes, I understand there are much cheaper alternatives, but if you read my post again, you will understand that those alternatives are on backorder, so, since I have owned the Gopro for many years, I thought there might be a way to use it while waiting for those cheaper alternatives to be available. 
also, I already have a cheap webcam on my system, 640X480, and I do have a good one on order, but it wont be in till next week. Before I was a Mortgage broker, I was a network engineer , so I like to experiment a bit. :)

Highlighted
Adventurer

research OBS  but looks like you will need a dongle with it and that adds up