Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

updating sofware

Makes you feel silly when the gopro07 black was a gift and that person asks you a question and I post it to find a soultion. Sorry about the picture of the Turtle on the screen not going away, but I never seen what he was talking about I posted what he said.  (laughing now about it). 

NEW ISSUE,  When the software  for updating  he downloaded the update to his computer and followed the directions, it said failed and tried several times. So the update was done manually by putting the serial number in the space and email etc.  Well Now the question is How do you know if it updated?  How do you check, and since it was done manually can a person re-update from another computer to make sure?  The 2nd question is the app for your phone, Do you have to have the app on your phone?  Mine is capable but his phone is not as it is a older phone, so if I put the app on my phone will he be able to use my phone to do any new updates or since he manually updated it that he will have to check manually for any new updates?   Sorry but I am trying my best to resolve his problems so if the questions are a little off, Please understand as it is hard to see what he is talking about when he is somewhere else and asking me.  Thanks  Any help is truly appreciated.  Also he reset the go-pro (not to factory reset) but reset when he thought the film cover was in the camera, Should he go back and update the software and firmware to be safe?  Thanks   CJ   

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: updating sofware

Hello again, @cjn5448! Please see the answers to your questions below:

How do you know if it updated?  How do you check, and since it was done manually can a person re-update from another computer to make sure? - A check mark that appears on the screen after the update process indicate that the update has been done successfully. Another way to check is to go through Preferences, then About, then Camera Info, then check for version number. The number should be 1.61 for the current (latest) version. 

Do you have to have the app on your phone? - Not necessarily. But the app is a great help in importing GoPro media to a mobile device, especially when a computer is not available. The app also allows you to easily access the GoPro media to be used for editing in Quik for Mobile.

If I put the app on my phone will he be able to use my phone to do any new updates or since he manually updated it that he will have to check manually for any new updates? - Yes, the camera can be connected to any compatible phone with the GoPro App, specially for updates. A firmware update can always be done in three ways - via GoPro App, via Quk for desktop, or manually. Whichever preferred method should work. 

Should he go back and update the software and firmware to be safe? - There will be no need for another update. 

Should you have further questions or concerns, feel free to post back. 

Best regards, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello again, @cjn5448! Please see the answers to your questions below:

How do you know if it updated?  How do you check, and since it was done manually can a person re-update from another computer to make sure? - A check mark that appears on the screen after the update process indicate that the update has been done successfully. Another way to check is to go through Preferences, then About, then Camera Info, then check for version number. The number should be 1.61 for the current (latest) version. 

Do you have to have the app on your phone? - Not necessarily. But the app is a great help in importing GoPro media to a mobile device, especially when a computer is not available. The app also allows you to easily access the GoPro media to be used for editing in Quik for Mobile.

If I put the app on my phone will he be able to use my phone to do any new updates or since he manually updated it that he will have to check manually for any new updates? - Yes, the camera can be connected to any compatible phone with the GoPro App, specially for updates. A firmware update can always be done in three ways - via GoPro App, via Quk for desktop, or manually. Whichever preferred method should work. 

Should he go back and update the software and firmware to be safe? - There will be no need for another update. 

Should you have further questions or concerns, feel free to post back. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

Have a problem I checked as you stated to see what the verison said, mine says 5.1 not 6.1  and what do I do now? do I need to formate my SD card and start all over. As it says according to the manual update that the info was downloaded as the camera shut off and re-started then it started making funny beeping noises and went into burst mode taking pictures.   Now after burst mode stopped the camera froze up and will not shut off.  it is stuck on.  Help

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

It doesn't sound like an update, so I'm not sure what happened.

Be sure you are using a SD card from this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Download the UPDATE file to you computer
Right click on the zip file and choose Extract
Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer
You will end up with an UPDATE folder and a UPDATE.zip file, you only need the UPDATE folder
Remove your SD card from your camera and using a USB/SD adapter, insert your card into your computer (do not plug the camera into the computer)
Find the USB drive, right click and choose Format
Uncheck Quick Format and perform a FULL format of the card (this can take awhile)
Once done, move the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto the SD card
Right click on the SD drive and choose Eject
Remove the SD card and place it in your camera
Using the side Mode/Power button, turn the camera on
It should run through the update and give a check mark on the front screen when done
Once it's done, go to Preferences>Reset and format the card
After formatting, go to Preferences>Reset and factory reset the camera
If you have previously connected to the mobile app, open it and go to camera and hold down on the picture of the camera until the option to delete comes up
Go Through the setup process and connect to the Mobile app
Once connected, go to settings (The picture of the cog) and scroll down until you see date/time
Press on date/time and a check mark will appear letting you know your time is synced
exit setup and turn the camera off with the app
Exit the app on your phone
Take two pictures and two short videos with the camera
Go to Preferences and check the camera firmware
You should be good to go