Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

update without a battery

[ New ]

Hi my Hero 6 wont recognise a fully charged gopro battery at all.  I am trying to perform a firmware update, again, but it wont because it requires a battery, so its a circle of stress at present! It only started after firmware 2.10 which has to do with batteries!

Its out of warranty and sadly i cant afford to just buy another camera....

Is there a way to reinstall firmware without a battery? I hope this may fix it.

Thanks

GoPro

Re: update without a battery

[ New ]

Hello, @robb733. The only way to manually update the camera is one that requires a battery to be in. The other methods of update - as in through the GoPro App and the Quik for desktop app - will not work if the camera already has the latest firmware. 

What happens when you put the battery in the camera? Does the camera not power on at all? or is the full (100%) charge just not recognized? If the latter, you should still be able to perform the manual update even if the battery is not at 100%.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi thanks for getting back to me.  Nothing happens when i plug a geniune gopro battery in.  It doesnt recognise it at all.

I have tried updating by Quik, manually and the app.  Same error battery to low to upgrade..

I have been at this for 2 days now and i have reasearched it to death! I have followed everything here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-6-not-recognising-or-charging-batteries-and-won-t-start...

But still it wont work.

The camera was exllcent without fault until the last firmware update, which i regret doing now....

I am about to go on holdiay but now it seems without my action camera:(

Today I have spent over 4hours waiting to "chat" but no one contacts me..  Its all very frustrating.

Thanks

Rob

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry just to add to the above...

When i connect via the usb port it will start up and run, but it is "laggy".  When i connect via the app it wants do a firmware update to 2.10, when i connect via the quik app in windows it comes up with "firmware not known up to date"  So i think the last firmware didnt install correctly but how do i get around this?

What happens when you put the battery in the camera? Nothing happens it wont turn on or charge

Does the camera not power on at all? No

or is the full (100%) charge just not recognized? yes

If the latter, you should still be able to perform the manual update even if the battery is not at 100%. it wont because it wont see even 1% of battery.

Thanks,

Rob

Hiker

[ New ]

Lastly i have just checked what version of firmware is installed via the ios gopro app and its saying its 2.01, but 2.10 was done manually not long after i came out.  I havent used the camera much since then, so the firmware definately hasnt installed correctly.

Can this be rectified or do i have throw a perfectly good camera away?

Thanks,

Rob

Gopro.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate the update, @robb733. Is the battery the original battery that came with the camera? Or is it a new original GoPro battery that you bought separately? We are considering this effect, but does not actually fit the situation since yours is a HERO6 Black camera. 

If a manual update could not be done, the next step would be to engage our Support team. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Our team is currently working through a high volume of contacts so our response time may be slightly longer than usual. Rest assured, we'll follow up with you as soon as possible.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi as below:

We appreciate the update, @robb733. Is the battery the original battery that came with the camera?

Its the one that came with the hero 6.

Or is it a new original GoPro battery that you bought separately?

No its the one that came with the camera

We are considering this effect, but does not actually fit the situation since yours is a HERO6 Black camera. 

I agree it doesnt fit. I have updated many firmwares on various electronic devices over the years and this is first time this has happened.

If a manual update could not be done, the next step would be to engage our Support team. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request.

I did the manual firmware update sometim end of last year but i dont recall exactly.  Given that it hasnt worked I will try again with support but it wont be until next week after i am back off of my trip.

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

No ad blocker and cookies are enabled...

Our team is currently working through a high volume of contacts so our response time may be slightly longer than usual. Rest assured, we'll follow up with you as soon as possible.

Thanks for trying to help

Regards,

Rob

Hiker

[ New ]

Well sorry, but what a complete joke support was!

We went through the technical issues and having decided there wasnt anything i could do to get my camera working again, they offered me a "customer loyalty code" for a 25% discount from gopro's store for a Hero8 with 32gb sandisk memory card.

However, these are on offer on gopro's webite and the original cost was £379.99 reduced to £279.99.  So i added x1 to the basket and added the code given. The price went up to £289.99!! Not very loyal is it?  When I told chat this they seemed to think it was completely acceptable.  So having got nowhere with them i ended it, completley and throughly disgusted with thier repsonse.   

So the moral of the story is dont buy a gopro!

Rob