Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

transfer sd card

Hi, I was using my Hero 3 and then transfered the SD card to my Session 5 and the videos I had from the Hero 3 are gone.  Does the Session 5 overwrite existing files?  Is there a way to get the files back?

Cheers

Mike

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: transfer sd card

Hello @snowybluff63364

It is always a recommended to format the SD card prior to using it with another device, or another GoPro camera. This ensures that the files are not corrupted or damaged. Ideally, the camera should not be deleting any files on the SD card. For troubleshooting purposes, I replicated your issue - recorded through a HERO3 White camera, transferred the SD card to a HERO5 Session camera, connected the HERO5 Session camera to GoPro App, and the video files were still there. 

Do you recall the resolution setting your used when you did the recording using your HERO3 camera? Could it be a resolution setting not available for the HERO5 Session? You can insert your camera to a computer to check on all the files that are on the SD card. Which SD card are you using? Is it among the recommended ones on this list

Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. We recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Feel free to post back for any question or concern you might have. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: transfer sd card

Hello @snowybluff63364

It is always a recommended to format the SD card prior to using it with another device, or another GoPro camera. This ensures that the files are not corrupted or damaged. Ideally, the camera should not be deleting any files on the SD card. For troubleshooting purposes, I replicated your issue - recorded through a HERO3 White camera, transferred the SD card to a HERO5 Session camera, connected the HERO5 Session camera to GoPro App, and the video files were still there. 

Do you recall the resolution setting your used when you did the recording using your HERO3 camera? Could it be a resolution setting not available for the HERO5 Session? You can insert your camera to a computer to check on all the files that are on the SD card. Which SD card are you using? Is it among the recommended ones on this list

Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. We recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Feel free to post back for any question or concern you might have. 

Thanks, 
Marius