Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

terrible and unuseable audio on Hero5 Black and session5 on cam AND external mic

the audio on two freshly bought GoPros ( 5black AND 5 session) drive me crazy. 

Its terrible, unuseable. 

first: - the camera itself ( BOTH units) 

If you move it or touch it, then it records cracking, rattling, muffling ( I don´t really know what to call it ) - it records unacceptable very loud back ground nonsense noise. Forget recording any kind of conversation.

So - I tried without the cases, both cameras,  just putting it on the table not touching it .... still: there is a background noise ( not as bad, but still there ) ... and beware of touching it!

I started looking around for alternatives because 

of course I am not the only one experiencing this:

I found a youtuber ( titel: Don´t touch your GoPro ) who stated that these audio problems only came with a firmware update ? 

Is that true ?? does anybody here know ?? - then it should be easily fixable on new firmwares - or I would go back to older versions!

Thx for commenting 

( it wouldn´t make sense to me that GoPro releases a firmware that messes up audio quality, but how am I supposed to know ?? )

Second:

I would like to use an external mic in a helmet - the adapter cable is not a solution for me having this brick. On a helmet ?? its a ridicolous  cable for a lot of money!  

the camera has bluetooth ! - so how hard can it be to open up these channels for connecting a bluetooth mic ?? Is that company policy to deliberately NOT let that happen? -  the Garmin ultra 30 does it very well ! ( I would still prefer to stick with GoPro) - Do that !!  and  GoPro makes again the best action cameras.

GoPro, I believe you are loosing a lot of customers like this !!  ( But I guess you know that already ) 

i would love to stick to GoPro - but like this I am kind of forced to be looking around for alternatives

Adventurer

Re: terrible and unuseable audio on Hero5 Black and session5 on cam AND external mic

I suggest posting up a video

donot hold the camera it won't crackle- sensitive mic

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: terrible and unuseable audio on Hero5 Black and session5 on cam AND external mic

I am having the same issue.  I did not do this when I first purchased the camera and I've seen a few videos of people now having the same problem with the Hero5 audio.  What else can cause it other than the recent firmware?

Hiker

@fishycomics

just youtube "GoProHero5 audio problems / issues " ... you will find a ton of videos that describe exactly the problem.

Don´t hold the camera ?? are you serious? well, going that way of conversation I even have a better one: " Never turn it on, you´ll have no problem at all"

denying a problem never solved a problem,

anybody out there with a constructive solution? THX 

Hiker

@timj543 thx for posting this very well explained video of the issues here and supporting the claim

Adventurer

I post up a video that is me then talk in words. I may not explain it in full. most here do not anyways.....   problem is chip mic are way tosensitive and they need a db lowering