Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

shooting video at night with the hero5 black?

Trying to get good video at night time or low lighting situations with the gopro 5 hero black, I have turned on the auto low light setting but still doesn't seem to work any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: shooting video at night with the hero5 black?

When dealing with low light you have to consider making adjustments to the following settings:

• Spot Metering - with the Hero5 you can adjust the spot meter to lock the point of light calculation to one particular spot. When off, the camera takes into account the entire frame which includes any light sources
  • fps - the slower the frames per second the more time the camera has to collect light
  • ISO - the higher the ISO the more "sensitive" the sensor is to light.  The higher the number the brighter the picture, but also the more noise/grain will appear as the sensor grabs more data
  • Shutter Speed - This is not the same as fps although they are correlated. Shutter speed is how long the shutter is open while capturing a single frame. In other words, how fast the shutter opens and closes. The slowest a shutter can open and close is for one entire frame. So, if the fps is 60, the longest the shutter can stay open is 1/60. As the shutter speed increases the ratio doubles.  For fps 60 the shutter speeds are 1/60, 1/120/, 1/240, & 1/480.  The longer the shutter is open, the more motion blur is introduced into the shot. Double the fps is generally considered "natural" motion blur.
  • White Balance - While this alone doesn't have a huge impact on lighting, setting the white balance helps keep continuity in the shot and also reduces the amount of processing done by the camera. Setting this to Native gives you the most data and gives you the least amount of preprocessed footage to edit.
  • Color - GoPro cameras apply Protune Color by default.  Protune is a gradient curve that gives GoPro footage it's signature look.  Higher contrast with darks darker, saturation high, and a sharper image.  Setting this to Flat removes this processing and like Native White Balance, gives you the most data and gives you the least amount of preprocessed footage to edit.
  • Sharpness - This setting also adjust the amount of processing done by the camera.  By setting this to medium or low you will have less noise/grain and again, gives you the least amount of preprocessed footage to edit.

With low light you have a few options. First, and simplest, is use the lowest fps possible.  Using the low light setting just allows the camera to lower the fps automatically.  The camera doesn't always get this right or go low enough, so if you can film at 24 fps, just manually choose this setting.  Next, use the rear LCD to spot meter.  Press on the back LCD until the large white square shrinks into a small square you can move around the screen.  By placing the box in the darkest portion of the picture and locking the meter, the camera will automatically adjust to brighten the entire picture. If the picture still isn't bright enough, consider making changes to the shutter speed. GoPro cameras will automatically change the ISO first as it is an action camera so reducing motion blur in favor of a little noise/grain is generally preferred.  However, if the overall look and quality of the picture is important to you, change the shutter and lock (or set to max) the ISO to 1600 or lower (800 looks much better than 1600). Adjust the ISO is the next step so you will need to raise it accordingly. Of note, some of the ISO and shutter speed options are only available via the Capture app.

Depending on how much editing (and your skill level) you will being doing, you can also opt to change the WB, Color, and Sharpness.  As I mentioned above in the bullet points, setting these manually will give you more to work with in editing.

Using an editor like GoPro Studio with Advanced Clip Control turned on (Edit>Preferences>Advanced Clip Control) will allow you to make more fine tuned adjustments to the light.  In Step 2 There are more specialized brightness controls that will allow you to adjust the Gain (darks) Gamma (overall) and Lift (whites).  Also, if you can adjust the "workspace" which changes the input and output curve of the video data.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

ISO lower the darker, higher the more noise and brighter

FPS 24-30 low light, 30-60 low light will  reduce  to 30  automatically, 

I trial and error 

Explorer

When dealing with low light you have to consider making adjustments to the following settings:

• Spot Metering - with the Hero5 you can adjust the spot meter to lock the point of light calculation to one particular spot. When off, the camera takes into account the entire frame which includes any light sources
  • fps - the slower the frames per second the more time the camera has to collect light
  • ISO - the higher the ISO the more "sensitive" the sensor is to light.  The higher the number the brighter the picture, but also the more noise/grain will appear as the sensor grabs more data
  • Shutter Speed - This is not the same as fps although they are correlated. Shutter speed is how long the shutter is open while capturing a single frame. In other words, how fast the shutter opens and closes. The slowest a shutter can open and close is for one entire frame. So, if the fps is 60, the longest the shutter can stay open is 1/60. As the shutter speed increases the ratio doubles.  For fps 60 the shutter speeds are 1/60, 1/120/, 1/240, & 1/480.  The longer the shutter is open, the more motion blur is introduced into the shot. Double the fps is generally considered "natural" motion blur.
  • White Balance - While this alone doesn't have a huge impact on lighting, setting the white balance helps keep continuity in the shot and also reduces the amount of processing done by the camera. Setting this to Native gives you the most data and gives you the least amount of preprocessed footage to edit.
  • Color - GoPro cameras apply Protune Color by default.  Protune is a gradient curve that gives GoPro footage it's signature look.  Higher contrast with darks darker, saturation high, and a sharper image.  Setting this to Flat removes this processing and like Native White Balance, gives you the most data and gives you the least amount of preprocessed footage to edit.
  • Sharpness - This setting also adjust the amount of processing done by the camera.  By setting this to medium or low you will have less noise/grain and again, gives you the least amount of preprocessed footage to edit.

With low light you have a few options. First, and simplest, is use the lowest fps possible.  Using the low light setting just allows the camera to lower the fps automatically.  The camera doesn't always get this right or go low enough, so if you can film at 24 fps, just manually choose this setting.  Next, use the rear LCD to spot meter.  Press on the back LCD until the large white square shrinks into a small square you can move around the screen.  By placing the box in the darkest portion of the picture and locking the meter, the camera will automatically adjust to brighten the entire picture. If the picture still isn't bright enough, consider making changes to the shutter speed. GoPro cameras will automatically change the ISO first as it is an action camera so reducing motion blur in favor of a little noise/grain is generally preferred.  However, if the overall look and quality of the picture is important to you, change the shutter and lock (or set to max) the ISO to 1600 or lower (800 looks much better than 1600). Adjust the ISO is the next step so you will need to raise it accordingly. Of note, some of the ISO and shutter speed options are only available via the Capture app.

Depending on how much editing (and your skill level) you will being doing, you can also opt to change the WB, Color, and Sharpness.  As I mentioned above in the bullet points, setting these manually will give you more to work with in editing.

Using an editor like GoPro Studio with Advanced Clip Control turned on (Edit>Preferences>Advanced Clip Control) will allow you to make more fine tuned adjustments to the light.  In Step 2 There are more specialized brightness controls that will allow you to adjust the Gain (darks) Gamma (overall) and Lift (whites).  Also, if you can adjust the "workspace" which changes the input and output curve of the video data.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel

Adventurer

2k7 is ideal for night time shots noted in your manual, and to be using a tripod.  Since this is an Action camera, ideally for Outdoor daytime shots, we do our best to make things work.  Here are some examples

Explorer

The above videos are shot in 4K though, right? Not 2.7K. Have you noticed a difference when shooting in different resolutions but with the same fps?
Nomad

If you want to shoot  video at night time, always set your ISO at maximum at 800. If you go higher then yes the footage will be lighter BUT with al lot of noise. it won't be a sharp and beuatiful footage.

Also 30fps is good enough, so shoot in 2.7K or 4K. It will look sharper. 

Adventurer

I  shoot in 2K7@60f. let hte low light adjust, I also shot in 4K@30fps and  I  do not see much a diffrence. the Yi has a brighter  video, due to adjustments  done. by Yi. and gopr  their own way.

I rendered down and  Youtube chose 1440 Lol

I prefer to shoot 2K7@60  all default.  I went away and shot a cruise at night, see if I can find that clip

I started to use  protunes with  the resolution shot and at times I used to low an ISO and these chots would never come out,  so we have rto play with what works and more you play the more time you need to set things up and capture.   

there is quite  big diffrence only with protunes if asked not resolution