Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

set up microSD card for hero 9

[ New ]

I want to start using my hero 9, but I have no idea what to do first, any help ?

Nomad

Re: set up microSD card for hero 9

[ New ]

Reading the manual and watch YT vids

GoPro

[ New ]

@danen870, you may check out the videos on our YouTube channel here https://www.youtube.com/c/GoPro/videos for some tips.

The Product Manual is also available for download here: https://gopro.com/help/productmanuals

These help articles will also guide you with a few steps and info to get you started:

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know. We're here to help.

Hiker

[ New ]

I guess what bugs me is I need to scratch my head, rather than go out and use the camera.  What I'm saying here is I love my hero 8 and now my hero 9, because it's a good value, and takes exxcellent footage, lots of good features, but coming out of the factory, the MTP setting is not the default.  So I end up having to struggle for a few days trying to figure out why it doesn't work the same as my H8.  Well guess what.  Firmware "upgrade" 2.5 chaned the H8 so that it no longer had the MTP as the default, but I had forgottin what a mess that was to figure out.  I'm a pretty happy customer, but I would just like to understand why it is that gopro is trying it's darndest to piss off loyal happy customers by doing something stupid like setting the MTP mode as being the non default, and then not even putting a little piece of paper explaining that if they want their camera to work with their computer, you have to take these few steps to make MTP mode like the factory should have set it as a default.

Kudos GOPRO for making great cameras very reasonably priced.  NO Kudos for making the factory default the wrong mode without at least warning for your customers either on the support website or a little piece of paper in the box or something that the camera is going to be set up so it won't work right with your computer, and you can't access your files without watching some you tube videos to figure out that whoever decides the defaults in the factory is not thinking straight.

And while I'm ranting and raving about my favorite camera company that has screwed up, let me also say that Gopro could have named "quik", "dumb" instead.  I have all the power I want or need with a "real" video editor.  I use Da Vinci resolve.  All I wanted out of Quik was to good logical convenient access my $49/year cloud space in a user friendly manner like dropbox's interface, or google drive's interface.  But no, there's no intuitive nature about the controls on this software, or for that matter, what exactly it's good for.  I think gopro needs a separate cloud access application separate from quik that doesn't have all that other nonsense or claptrap.  Food for thought.  C'mon guys.  I'm still not sure how I access any of my "unlimited" cloud space.

regards,

dan

PS. you can close this trouble report.  I figured out that I had to change some menu settings after I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out this MTP boondoggle.  Why do smart people do dumb things ?

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for these links, these are very helpful.

It would be great if the gopro website would lead new customers by the hand to these files from an email link that would be sent to everybody who buys a gopro camera so customers can solve the problems themselves rather than scratch their head wondering what the heck, every new customer that finds that they can't link their computer and camera without switching modes in the camera.

regards,

Dan

Hiker

[ New ]

You know nicecrest, your sarcasm really doesn't add much to the conversation.  You may have meant well, but you didn't do well.

I have the manual, but the manual doesn't say something like, "the reason why your new hero 9 black doesn't talk to your windows 10 computer like it should out of the box, is because some fool in sw development decided to make MTP not be the default on the out of the factory defaults.   NO, that is not something that they would say.

For the record I did watch the yt videos to finally figure out that gopro messed up their sw factory defaults is the reason why I had to waste a lot of time to figure out how to fix that problem before I could get at my files.

regards,

Dan

Hiker

[ New ]

First of all, let me say your response was excellent.  Thank you for that.  I may have been a little harsh with my characterization of QUIK, but I was upset about my issue.  My apologies for selling QUIK short.  It was probably undeserved.

Again, thank you for your excellent response !