Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

sd card error

On my Hero 5 suddenly I have an SD card error while it previously worked. Reset of. ard on camera doesn’t help. Have a Lexar 64 Gb 633x card. Please advice how to solve this.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: sd card error

I'm not sure if it's the card or not, but I had two Lexar 633x 64GB cards that I used in my Hero3+. One day, after about a year of use, one of the cards just stopped working. The other one was fine and I still use it today.

Try doing a full, not quick, format of the card in your computer. Use exFAT. Once your done, see if you can format it in your camera. If you can, it should start working again.

Also, if you can get one, try a different card.

A manual update of the cameras firmware also might help (even if you are in the latest firmware)

If you have another camera or device, you can also try formatting the card in it to see if it corrects the issue.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not sure if it's the card or not, but I had two Lexar 633x 64GB cards that I used in my Hero3+. One day, after about a year of use, one of the cards just stopped working. The other one was fine and I still use it today.

Try doing a full, not quick, format of the card in your computer. Use exFAT. Once your done, see if you can format it in your camera. If you can, it should start working again.

Also, if you can get one, try a different card.

A manual update of the cameras firmware also might help (even if you are in the latest firmware)

If you have another camera or device, you can also try formatting the card in it to see if it corrects the issue.
Highlighted
Nomad

That's really strange. I've been using that card since I got my Hero 5B, which was over a year ago. Try Daniel's suggestion. He usually has the better solution. Have you used this card before in any other devices?

Highlighted
Explorer

I agree, the Lexar 633X was one of the best cards. If you watch any behind the scenes of GoPro created videos you will see that they use the Lexar 633X. It's a shame that Lexar, or more specifically Micron, is leaving the SD card market. Having said that, I did have one fail on me so it's always good to try and rule it out as the root cause of the issue.