Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

right gopro for kids hockey games

I am trying to fnd the right gopro to film my kids hockey games, would the Hero4 be sufficient for the fast pace and small puck?!  My need is two-fold, one is to provide the coaches with usable footage to review with the kids after the games and two is for my own highlights and vidoes that I like to put together for the team for fun!  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! TY

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: right gopro for kids hockey games

Hi @bravemesa10328,

If you can still get a HERO4 that would be really good. 

Any GoPro Camera would be good enough. 

But if you'll consider our new lineup you can check this: 

https://gopro.com/compare

Regards,

-Jay

Highlighted
Explorer

I strongly suggest you get a HERO6 or HERO7. not having the video stabilized makes for very chaotic and sometimes nauseating video to watch. If you get the HERO4, definitely look into getting a gimbal stabilizer.
Highlighted
Tourist

Even with a tripod? I most likely won’t be holding it all game, as some home games I do the score sheet.
Highlighted
Explorer

Tripod, the HERO4 works well 😉
Highlighted
Tourist

TY! I will take a look at all options if the Hero4, works with the tripod - I may go with that. Although I am liking the Hero7’s options!
I appreciate your answers!
Highlighted
Explorer

No problem.
I've got to be honest with you, unless you are getting an awesome deal on the HERO4, you really should consider the HERO7 Black. I have a HERO4 Silver, and while it was an awesome camera for it's time, and still holds up pretty well, your just missing out on so many incredible features by not getting the HERO7 Black that over time, I think your going to regret not getting it.

GoPro started out for me as just a way to capture my surfing sessions. Over the years it's become an important and awesome way for me to capture my kid's lives from sporting events, and vacations, to just playing around the house.

I also own the HERO5 and HERO6. With Quik Stories I can film just about anything, or just let them take the camera out on their little adventures, and the camera automatically sends the videos to my phone and makes the videos. I have so many moments captured that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I have tons of pictures, but it's the videos we cherish and look back on the most.

Not only do you get the Quik Stories with the HERO7, but you also get the incredible stabilization (not as important with a tripod, but you might want some hand held and mounted shots), Zoom capability, Auto Burst photos (way better than what you get on HERO4), voice activation, HDR/RAW/Tone mapping Smart photos, live streaming, touch spot meeting, improved dynamic range, auto shutter with ISO 100 (much better looking video), 4K/60fps, 1080p/240fps (for amazing slow motion shots), waterproofing and durability without a waterproof housing, Time Warp, and a much easier to use touch screen LCD.

You might not think you need all of these features now, but having them really opens up the possibilities of what you can do and capture. The HERO4 Silver is still a very cool camera, but you might find yourself regretting not getting the best GoPro has to offer. If you do decide to upgrade at a later date, then it just ends up costing you more.