Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

resurrecting a Hero 3 white

resurrecting a Hero 3 white. trying to connect to phone app & forgot camera password for wifi. solution? or should i put it back in the drawer and save the frustration?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: resurrecting a Hero 3 white

@ohotvet, your password would have been at least 8 characters long, with no spaces or special characters. If you are having a hard time remembering your password, changing your Wi-Fi name and password can be done by following a few easy steps.  

1. From the HERO3 update page click "Start Update" to begin.  
  2. On the first page, enter your serial number and registration information and then click "Next Step." 
  3. On the next page, select 'Wi-Fi & Firmware Update' with the blue check mark and click "Next Step." 
  4. On the next page, enter your new camera name and password. 
  5. Follow the steps from STEP 3 through the LAST STEP on this link: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO3-Cameras/ta-p/388262 

If the camera does not initiate the update it can be because the camera is not recognizing the update on the SD card. You will want to make sure to follow all of the instructions as outlined on the GoPro website's update page to ensure no steps are being missed. I do also have some suggestions here that should help get the update working as well. 

• Format the SD card before placing the update files in the root of the card (format on your computer, or DELETE ALL files in the camera's Delete menu); 

• Be sure to place the individual files on the root level of the SD card, NOT in the UPDATE folder. 

Once you have the necessary file(s) placed on the SD card, unplug it from the computer and insert the microSD card into your camera. Once it's plugged in, power on the camera. The update should automatically initiate.

Hopefully, this helps. Let me know how it works for you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: resurrecting a Hero 3 white

@ohotvet, your password would have been at least 8 characters long, with no spaces or special characters. If you are having a hard time remembering your password, changing your Wi-Fi name and password can be done by following a few easy steps.  

1. From the HERO3 update page click "Start Update" to begin.  
  2. On the first page, enter your serial number and registration information and then click "Next Step." 
  3. On the next page, select 'Wi-Fi & Firmware Update' with the blue check mark and click "Next Step." 
  4. On the next page, enter your new camera name and password. 
  5. Follow the steps from STEP 3 through the LAST STEP on this link: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO3-Cameras/ta-p/388262 

If the camera does not initiate the update it can be because the camera is not recognizing the update on the SD card. You will want to make sure to follow all of the instructions as outlined on the GoPro website's update page to ensure no steps are being missed. I do also have some suggestions here that should help get the update working as well. 

• Format the SD card before placing the update files in the root of the card (format on your computer, or DELETE ALL files in the camera's Delete menu); 

• Be sure to place the individual files on the root level of the SD card, NOT in the UPDATE folder. 

Once you have the necessary file(s) placed on the SD card, unplug it from the computer and insert the microSD card into your camera. Once it's plugged in, power on the camera. The update should automatically initiate.

Hopefully, this helps. Let me know how it works for you.