Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

recording

I have a GoPro Hero Silver 3+.  When I record 30 minutes it plays back in three segments: 13min, 13min and 4min.  Why won't it be in one long 30 minute segment?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: recording

Hi @annb55

When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

This chaptering is intentional and there is no way to keep the camera from doing so. Chapters are divided like this so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be effected and not the whole thing. While there is a file recovery feature in the camera, chaptering is a precaution step just in case the feature is unable to fix the video.

HERO3

• Chapter size: approx. 3.78 GB (HERO3: Black Edition) / 1.99 GB (HERO3: Silver Edition & HERO3: White Edition)
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 5 min: 1 minute
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 20 min: 5 minutes
  • Chapter size with Looping set to anything above 20 min: 15 minutes

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: recording

Hi @annb55

When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

This chaptering is intentional and there is no way to keep the camera from doing so. Chapters are divided like this so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be effected and not the whole thing. While there is a file recovery feature in the camera, chaptering is a precaution step just in case the feature is unable to fix the video.

HERO3

• Chapter size: approx. 3.78 GB (HERO3: Black Edition) / 1.99 GB (HERO3: Silver Edition & HERO3: White Edition)
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 5 min: 1 minute
  • Chapter size with Looping set to 20 min: 5 minutes
  • Chapter size with Looping set to anything above 20 min: 15 minutes

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ej