Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

"Low Battery - Powering Off" with 14-20% left

[ New ]

One of many issues I'm facing right now... Smiley Sad

Gopro9 & original battery (bought ~2 months ago) 

Issue : camera shows 14% of battery left and yet automatically powers off due to "low battery".

You can turn it back on, and start recording again (same % shown) but once again it shuts down after a few seconds with the same message.

I charged the battery fully, and reproduced the same issue the next day with 20% left

In 1 occurence, the camera briefly switched from displaying 20% to 0% while shutting down, but it was back to 20% after turning it back on.

Note that it was cold weather, so I could hear that it drains more power, but then I would just expect the % to decrease more quickly not just shut down with 14 to 20% left, otherwise what's the point of having some power left ??

I have a video showing the issue that I could upload.... if only video attachements were allowed (gopro, seriously ??)

In any case it is not acceptable, I want my 100% battery power to be usable. Have anybody had this issue ?

Depending on the root cause, I'll either request a replacement (If the camera/battery is faulty) or a free additional battery to compensate for that unavailable power.

Hiker

Re: "Low Battery - Powering Off" with 14-20% left

[ New ]

Quick update in case for reference if other people end up here : I reached out to customer service (mainly for my other issue with screen shading sicne I upgraded to 1.5) and they are making me return the camera for an exchange.

Regarding the auto power off with lots of battery left, the guy on the phone had not heard of this issue before and told me it may be due to the battery being faulty (not delivering enough power).

I'm not convinced at all since it worked well before upgrading to 1.5, then I had this issue 3 times over the weekend (in cold weather - minus 0°C), and then I tried again tonight with a motorcycle ride, after having downgraded to 1.22 earlier today : it behaved as expected, battery was down to 3% when I came back home (without powering off) and then I used the remaining 3% by leaving the gopro recording a timelapse.

So I'm suspecting that the issue is actually related to the 1.5 firmware and/or the cold weather (riding the motorcycle with approx 10°C) but I can only wait to get the new gopro and battery and test it out when I go back to the mountains (I was told to return only the camera, but that the replacement will ship with a new battery as well)

To be continued...

In the meantime I would be very interested to know if somebody else experienced a similar issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]

It just happened to me a moment ago. I was out recording at -2C and battery showed 22%. Suddenly I got the message about the battery being low and the camera shut down. I can now switch it back on, and it's still at 21% but if I start recording, it shuts down after less than 20 seconds. And it's now at the room temperature...

So the symptoms are exactly as yours.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I tried recording again and this time it recorded almost 50 seconds. Perhaps it's because the battery got warmer.

Anyway, here's a video showing the behaviour:

Sightseer

[ New ]

Update: I let the GoPro warm up for 30 extra minutes. Started recording again with battery at 19%. It recorded without issues and I stopped it myself after 2 minutes. The battery was at 17% after that.

So it seems it's working properly. The battery simply does not perform great in low temp (which is OK) and the only issue is the weird on screen info which tells you, you still have 20% of battery left and then shuts the camera down...

Hiker

[ New ]

Try 1080p/30.  Less power is needed for inferior modes.

You can also try turning off hypersmooth , or lowering the bitrate if 1080p doesn't do it for you.

Good luck

Hiker

[ New ]

@swiftdive3624 thanks for commenting and confirming the issue.

It makes sense, and I can understand the battery performance decrease in cold weather, that's just too bad the error message given by the camera is not clear enough, hopefully they can improve that down the road.

BTW, I searched around and found some forum posts about it, and in the user manual, it says : "Heads Up: The operating ambient temperature range of your HERO9 Black is 14° F ~ 95° F (10° C ~ 35° C)"

Anyway, I'll definitely try to keep it warmer when not in use (it was in my jacket pocket, I'll try to put it closer to body) and also try to warm it up manually if it happens again.

@GoPro is there a place where we can file a bug / feature request, in order to have this tracked down and close the current thread ?

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate the feedback, @sebchang. We will pass this along to the team. Please note that we do not have a formal, low-temperature rating for any of our cameras or accessories/mounts. That said, we have a few tips on ways to get the best performance out of your camera. 

• Keep the camera in an interior pocket before filming, using body heat to keep the unit warm. NOTE: This goes for secondary/backup batteries as well. 
  • Leaving the camera on (in standby) may be better than powering the unit off for an extended period of time. 
  • One-Button Mode (while convenient for helmet-mounted shots), might mean that the lift ride to the top of the summit (powered off) allows the camera's temp to drop too low. 
  • Use the camera in the waterproof housing to help retain the heat given off by the camera during operation (anti-fog strips may come in play under certain conditions).​
  • Use newer batteries. Older batteries that have been used quite a bit have a much harder time in cold weather. When going to a cold environment, consider which batteries you will be taking. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya in another thread someone pointed out the page your are quoting : https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Improve-Battery-Performance-in-Cold-Weather/ta-p/392966

Besides the recommendations you shared, there's also this interesting note about Hero 7 / 8 being able to display a message to inform user that stabilization was disabled due to lo temperature :

HERO7 Black and HERO8 Black Heads Up: Image Stabilization in high performance modes draws a lot of power. In cold temperatures the battery is not able to keep up. Because of this, HyperSmooth and Standard Stabilization are not available in the following high performance modes when operating in very cold temperatures (0°C or lower). 

• 2.7K 4:3 - 60/50
  • 4K 60/50
  • 4K 4:3 - 24

If this occurs, the camera will provide messaging indicating that stabilization is not supported.

Is this not available on Hero 9 ? It seems like it would be a good starting point, to show an more relevant error message when powering off the camera due to cold weather rather than low battery (and possibly suggesting to use lower performance modes that may still work in such conditions ?)