Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

"Full" formatting SD Card via computer-recommended?

I read on the web that "full" formatting SD card by computer--then via camera--is recommended. However, when I attempted that process,and opened contents on my SD card, I noted that my GoPro 5 firmware with last update was on the SD card. therefore, I did not proceed to "format" or erase the contents from my SD card as i did not want to delete any firmware from my SD card. Am i on the correct thinking path??

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: "Full" formatting SD Card via computer-recommended?

Hello @juniorbic

Interesting question. Formatting your SD card in the GoPro camera is the best way to remove old video and photos files. In doing this, the original file structure and partitions are restored so that the SD card will continue to properly communicate with the camera. What  were you referring to when you mentioned GoPro5 firmware? If you are referring to firmware update files, the SD card should not have them anymore after the update is done. Feel free to post back fro any other questions or concerns. 

Learn more about formatting SD card with a HERO5 Black camera here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/Formatting-an-SD-Card-With-HERO5-Black

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: "Full" formatting SD Card via computer-recommended?

Hello @juniorbic

Interesting question. Formatting your SD card in the GoPro camera is the best way to remove old video and photos files. In doing this, the original file structure and partitions are restored so that the SD card will continue to properly communicate with the camera. What  were you referring to when you mentioned GoPro5 firmware? If you are referring to firmware update files, the SD card should not have them anymore after the update is done. Feel free to post back fro any other questions or concerns. 

Learn more about formatting SD card with a HERO5 Black camera here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/Formatting-an-SD-Card-With-HERO5-Black

Thanks, 
Marius