Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

quick capture GPS

GPS is 80% not working when using quick capture. please update a new firmware to force get GPS when using Quick Capture option.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: quick capture GPS

Forcing the camera to obtain GPS prior to starting to record video would defeat the whole purpose of Quick Capture. To ensure GPS data is captured to video it's best to turn the camera on using the Mode/Power button and verifying a signal lock prior to starting the recording.
Highlighted
Hiker

When you put it that way, yes. But that’s not what I’m asking for them to work on. When the QC button is pressed, device will force check for GPS signal and embed it with the recording. I can use Quick Capture on an open Field and still no GPS. This is way different with the 1st GoPro H6 I had “during its 1st month. Now rhis is my 3rd GPH6 replacement.
Highlighted
Explorer

Weird. I'm actually surprised you were getting GPS metadata in your videos with QC so often. Considering the GPS has to be acquired by the camera at the onset of the recording, that is extremely fast acquisition of satellite data. Obviously the camera is not getting GPS data when it's turned off.

Another thing to check is how many satellites are available. Just because you are in a clearing doesn't always mean GPS signal is going to be strong. Use an app like UAV Forecast. Go into settings and turn off GLONASS. The app will tell you how many visible satellites you have on that particular day, time, and location.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hence, asking GoPro people to update their FW to address that issue. I am using strava and GPS signal never cuts-off. I even use strava’s GPS data to compensate what GoPro can’t fulfill.
If they can only revisit the source code of the FW they had around December 2017, they might see something useful and incorporate to new ones. After upgrading FW, GPS on QC has gone horrible.