Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

preserving the time/date stamp on GoPro media

[ New ]

I just got a GoPro Hero8 Black and noticed that when I download pictures and videos from GoPro, the time/date stamp changes to the time I download the file. This is not the case with other services like Flickr, Google Photos, etc. Does anyone know how to preserve the time/date stamp on media that is downloaded?

GoPro

Re: preserving the time/date stamp on GoPro media

[ New ]

Hello @itsgopromartin

The date reset on the camera happens when the camera has not been paired or used for some time or if the battery has been removed.

Before recording or taking photos make sure to check on the camera's date.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

EJ,

The issue is not that the time stamp is off by a few hours or minutes, it's that it's the same as when I downloaded the media. This seems like a systemic flaw? Or did I misunderstand your reply? The time is correct on my camera.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @itsgopromartin. How do you download your GoPro footage? Do you use any particular tool or application? Also, how do you check for the timestamp on the media? Using Quik for desktop, for example, shows the capture date of the media. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Latest firmware broke this functionality, I think. It annoying. Im struggling with this problem as well. Constantly connectiog camera to android is not an option in LONG TERM. God --bleep-- it. I'm charging it. How do I know that some setting (time - most important thing) goes into cloud??? Come On! Lets get real. I paid you real money. I'm not telling you that you need take my money and replace it in a bank. You got my money, true mony, not false one. Give me true device

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanyaIt is not about software to download media. Camera loses time/date after not used for some (relatively short) time without battery inside. If you connect battery, it just keeps draining battery because of "turning itself on"

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya I download the media from gopro.com. Every time I do this the date and time of the media is when I download it, not when I took the picture or video. I have never used Quick, I am just viewing the date/time stamp of the files on my computer. To confirm this, I have uploaded numerous GoPro media files to a Google Photos album and they always have the date/time stamp from when they were downloaded, not when they were taken.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @itsgopromartin. We just downloaded media from the GoPro Subscription Cloud to a Windows computer and the Properties section of the file under Detail shows the correct timestamp for the date taken (labeled Date Created).