Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

picture freezes leaving sound only

[ New ]

In most videos the picture is freezing after a short while leaving only sound is there a fix ?

GoPro

Re: picture freezes leaving sound only

[ New ]

Hello, @grinners. Freezing indicates an issue with the camera firmware or the SD card used. If you haven't yet, go over these troubleshooting steps to clear out the issue. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Not camera freezing . After 40 odd secseconds ends the picture freezes and leaves sound still running, it does the same with both sd cards
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @grinners

What SD cards are you using?

Were you able to go over the steps on the link including the manual update?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
SanDisk ultra . And the go pro has the latest update
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

@grinners, Sandisk Ultra isn't one of the recommended SD cards for GoPro cameras. Make sure that a recommended SD card is used for your camera. Using SD cards that aren't recommended can cause issues like freezing as the card isn't fast enough to write the content, the camera getting hot or battery consumption is higher than normal as the camera stays in an active mode trying to sync to the card.

Hiker

[ New ]

Defective camera!
Mine did that and so has countless others. Doesn't matter which SD card you use, I was using one on the list and it still did it.

It is a "known issue" by many gorpo H7B users. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero7-Black-Freezes-video-file-shows-frozen-image-but-audio/t...

It'll keep doing that no matter what you do, that is my opinion from experience.  If it is under warranty, contact support, jump through their extensive list of hoops, and get it replaced ASAP.

Tourist

[ New ]
I'll get another card but if that fails I will have to get another replacement camera as the frustration of this issue is unbearable
Tourist

[ New ]
I'll try the different card fix but yep I'll do that for sure , so frustrating
Explorer

[ New ]
SanDisk Ultra is a terrible card, so until that is changed to a recommended SD card, trouble shooting can't really go beyond that.

You also want to ensure that you have run a manual update, factory reset the camera, and then format the card in the camera. Only use GoPro batteries and make sure it's fully charged before heading out for your shoot.

I have five SanDisk Extreme cards and with one of them I consistently run into issues. SD cards DO matter. I've had good luck with Samsung Select and Lexar 677x 32GB and 64GB cards. The larger the card, the more likely you are to encounter an issue.

Always format the card in the camera before your days shooting.
Nomad

[ New ]

I was using a 32gb sandisk ultra when I first bought my gopro, and I was so upset with my purchase believing that it was a terrible camera... I experienced so many issues with freezing and other glitches...

After switching to a Sandisk Extreme PRO, 128gb, I have not experienced any serious issues, though some issues will start to occur if I do not occasionally perform a full format of my card using a PC...

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok brand new formatted card chosen from the recommended cards . Still the same if not worse . This is the most frustrating useless camera I've ever owned , how do I get a replacement as this one must be broken, so many things it has missed because it has frozen that I will never get back . I am paying a monthly fee to store frozen videos 🤯
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @grinners. Our Support team will be able to help you with the next steps. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request.