Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: no connection between hero 5 and karma grip

I have the same problem.  Frustrating.  Called tech support.  3 hour hold time.  Arghhh!!!  Looks like lots of people struggling with this expensive equipment that doesn't work.  Step it up GoPro.

@jimzr wrote:

My GoPro Hero 5 cannot be connected with the Karma Grip. Karma Grip powers on normally, however the camera does not power on together, I am powering on my camera manually as it is attached to the grip, I can operate it through the smart remote or my phone app, but cannot be operated with the Grip's Buttons.

I have tried the 60 seconds method, I tried the manual update on my camera, I tried the calibration on the Gimbal but not any results.

Anybody can help?

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi all,

Just bought my first GoPro last week.

Took it to London for a few days of filming this weekend, to figure out how to use it, and on day three, it started comming up with what I now know is this issue. It was intermittent at first, but now it's stuck constantly.

I  tried all the resets I could, and have just tried formatting the memory card from the camera. This seems to have worked for me, but is obviously very annoying.

It's a 64GB Sandisk extreme card. There were 264 files on there (lots of short >10 second clips) totalling 12.1GB.

I am very very disapointed to have invested so heavily last week (GoPro hero 5 black, underwater housing, Supercharger, dual battery charger, memory card, floaty grip, 20,000ma Anker power pack, Karma grip) in anticipation of my holiday to Malaysia next week, only to find that there is this issue with the grips, that has been going on for months, and seems to have no official fix, or word from GoPro. It looks to me as though GoPro are effectivley, knowingly selling a defective product at this point.

As I won't be able to take my laptop away, to get footage off my SD card, my only course of action right now is to ensure I take multiple SD cards - many more than I would normally expect to need, so that when the issue pops up, I can change cards.

Really not happy.

If these issues continue through, and after my holiday, I will be returning the product for a refund, which is a real shame, as when it was working, I was really really happy with it, and was learning to get some great footage with it.

I bought the Karma Grip  through Amazon, and I note now, that on Amazon, it states that "a newer version of this product is available". What's that all about? What is the difference? Is this a new model that will fix the problems? I am tempted to send this one back right away for a refund, and order the new one, but don't want to risk not getting it before Friday. What's everone's thoughts? DOes the new model fix the issue?

Can anyone from GoPro chime in on this and confirm that the new model will fix the issues? And, if now, then why in the heck is it still on sale?

Sorry for the ranty first post eveyone - I am just a little frustrated and disapointed after spending what is, for me, a significant amount of money.

Highlighted
Anonymous

@techsteve wrote:

It's a 64GB Sandisk extreme card. There were 264 files on there (lots of short >10 second clips) totalling 12.1GB.

The large number of files is the only problem. Manufacturer and size of the used microSDXC doesn't matter. I've doublechecked that already and described that issue in this topic but didn't get any reaction from GoPro.
I'm convinced that everyone will run into that issue. But unfortunately there are only a few people who noticed that because only a few people will keep such a large number of files stored on their used microSDXC's.
In my opinion this is obviously a bug in the firmware of the Karma Grip (beside a few other annoying bugs).

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am having the same issue lately. It took quite some time to connect and when I press the record button, my hero 5 does not record.

Before I updated to this latest version, the problem was only connection. Now it does not sync with my hero 5.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hitnan,

Thanks for that. It definitely seems to be an issue related to the number of files on the card. It's happened the same way on there separate cards now.

I'm really angry. I bought the camera and grip to take on holiday to Malaysia with me. I don't have a way on holiday of clearing the files from the cards to reuse them, so I'm currently upto 3 cards that are now "full" even though they're at less than half capacity, and I've just had too buy two more here in Singapore to get me through the rest of my holiday.

This has added significant cost onto my gopro setup and has made me incredibly angry.

Why is there no response from gopro on this issue? It looks to have been going for ages now.

Does the new version of the grip, or the new firmware fix this?

If I can't get a resolution I'll have little choice but tho return the equipment as faulty and claim a refund on it. Which is really annoying, as I'll then be stuck with an endless amount of memory cards I'll not need.

That there has been no response from gopro on this is very very disappointing.

I'd really love to know if the new firmware fixes the issue (and if not, why not? ) or if the newer version of the grip available on Amazon fixes the issue - if it doesn't, then gopro are in really shady territory as they are knowingly selling a faulty product.

Highlighted
Tourist

Had the same issue as everyone here.  As soon as I updated to v 1.51 no connection between Karma Grip and Hero5.  Same with Karma Drone, however I can get the drone to work eventually by turning drone on... stablizer... er stablizes but does not turn on Hero5 (just like Grip).  Then I manually turn on Hero 5 by pressing power button, wait for Hero5 to turn on.  Then turn off Drone.  Turn on Drone, wait about 3 minutes until drone power light blinks green and stays green... then boom, it works, can fly and record.  If I put he stablizer back into grip, same issue again and have to do this "workaround" with the drone.

Either way GoPro clearly messed up the grip,stablizer with the latest update... so wheres the fix, aka new update GoPro?

I called "Care" haha, and they instantely said they will replace the stablizer (known issue?) however, the nice Indian lady said they are out of stock (KNOWN ISSUE!?) so they can replace the Karma Grip instead becuase they are in stock and come with the stabilzer.  Unfortunately GoPro's wonderful policy requires me/us to send in the faulty equipment first, before they send out the replacement... guess they never heard of the industry leader Amazon's policy... send me the replacement and i will send you the POS back in the same box.

Whatever, had to vent my frustrations here, thanks for reading... if you did and hopefully this helps or further confirms you have a very expensive grippy brick in your hands.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@techsteve wrote:
[...] It definitely seems to be an issue related to the number of files on the card. It's happened the same way on there separate cards now [...]

Right. As I already said: Manufacturer and size of the card doesn't matter. With more than 250 clips on it the grip won't be able to handle that. Thus you won't be able to record anymore until you've changed the card inside the camera.

@techsteve wrote:
[...] I don't have a way on holiday of clearing the files from the cards to reuse them, so I'm currently upto 3 cards that are now "full" even though they're at less than half capacity, and I've just had too buy two more here in Singapore to get me through the rest of my holiday. This has added significant cost onto my gopro setup [...]

Exactly the same thing happened to me traveling through a round trip on the Balearic Islands during my holidays for 3 weeks.

Took 3 cards with me: 1x 64 GB, 1x 128 GB, 1x 256 GB.

The ones with 128 GB and 256 GB appeared completely useless after having more than 250 clips on it although only about 70 GB of space has been used on each one.

Had to buy 2x 64 GB on the Balearic Islands and took me a whole day to find a local dealer in the outback of the smaller isle! What a waste of time and money!

Nobody has got the chance to upload hundreds of gigabytes in a cloud or whereever in order to clear some cards completely during your holidays!

And now: What should I do with the useless large cards I bought before going on my holidays?!

@techsteve wrote:
[...] Why is there no response from gopro on this issue? It looks to have been going for ages now. [...] That there has been no response from gopro on this is very very disappointing [...]

Unfortunately you should get used to the fact that GoPro NEVER respones on things like that.

If you expected to get some helpful informations in here you should know that responses from GoPro always can be compared to nothing more than first level support.

@techsteve wrote:
[...] Does the new version of the grip, or the new firmware fix this? I'd really love to know if the new firmware fixes the issue (and if not, why not? ) or if the newer version of the grip available on Amazon fixes the issue [...]

The so-called "new" grip seems to be exactly the same like the "old" grip. Only exception: The "new" grip hasn't got the case included anymore. Thus the only really new thing is that the price increased and nothing else as long as GoPro isn't able to tell anybody what the differences really are.

I've got only the "old" version of the grip with the new firmware installed but haven't tested yet, whether the new firmware fixed this issue or not. But it should be quite easy to find out: Just copy let's say 260 GoPro clips from your HDD to your card, put the card in your camera, mount the camera to your grip, switch the grip on and have a look what'll happen... I guess: Nothing new... But as I said: I haven't tried it yet.

Highlighted
Tourist

IMHO it has nothing to do with the number of files on the card. I delete all files everytime I upload so my cards (all of them) are empty all the time and the issue still exist. IMHO the problem is with the software on the gopro itself. With every gopro update the problem has gotten worse until now it is almost impossible to ever get the gopro to operate through the Karma grip. I love the camera but the combonation of grip and camera are worthless.