Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: no connection between hero 5 and karma grip

[ Edited ]

@fastdawn3071 wrote:

IMHO it has nothing to do with the number of files on the card. I delete all files everytime I upload so my cards (all of them) are empty all the time and the issue still exist. IMHO the problem is with the software on the gopro itself.[...]

Well, different users with different pieces of hardware might have different problems. I surely don't deny that you might have another cause for the same problem but in my case I can definetely confirm that the one and only reason why my grip isn't able to operate with the H5B properly is: Everytime when there have been more than about 250 clips stored on the card it's impossible to record anything. No matter what kind of card you'll use. And as I already mentioned: This issue is repeatable in a comprensible way. Dumb "solution" for me if you haven't got the chance to delete some clips: Buy a lot of small 64 GB cards instead of less larger 128 GB or even 256 GB cards as I did (unfortunately not knowing anything about this issue before I was going out for my holidays). This is more than crazy!

Sightseer

ohhh wwoooww this is the one that worked for me!! Just bought the karma drone kit new and i had this problem. Spent 2 days trying to fix it. Scoured the forum, all the manual restarts and hard resets and calibrations and everything that people have tried on this forum up until this point. all off. stabilizer out of grip, go pro out of stabilizer, battery out of go pro (wait 10 sec), battery into go pro,go pro into stabilizer, stabilizer into grip, hard reset of grip, off grip , on grip, perfect with drone and everything. Thanks this guy!!!

Hiker

Sadly I am suffering this problem too... I purchased the Karma Drone pack with Hero 5 this month and was looking forward to a system which would work for me.  I am a journalist and marketer and looked forward to using the Karma Drone propfessionally, with the bonus of using the Karma Grip as a 'steadicam' both for video and stills images.  BUT I have not been able to 'fly' my Karma drone so far, as nothing will connect with the Hero 5.  My Karma Controller says 'camera not connected'.  I cannot see camera images on the Controller, so I cannot even think of flying the Drone - and, further, the Grip does not 'talk' to (or allow me to operate) the camera using the Karma Grip buttons. Note: I have upgraded software and have done everything GoPro has recommended (and have used the suggested fixes on this forum) and nothing has worked. 

I am in Australia and must say that the GoPro Hotline here is very good....I have had no problems connecting with a consultant, within minutes - and I have had a sympathetic hearing from call-centre staff.

I am certain, for the moment at least, that the Drone will work -- but will not make it 'fly' until the camera and gimbal 'talk' with each other -- how else can I see where I am flying? 

Further I have registered with the Commonwealth Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) as a responsible drone operator and I cannot and will not use a drone which is not 'fit for purpose'.

SO have told Go Pro that I wish to send back the Hero 5 and the Karma Grip for replacement.  Clearly they are not talking to each other despite my diligent efforts to make them 'handshake'.

Further I have told GoPro, on the basis of their replacement of the TWO units, that THEY must ensure the Cam and Grip are talking to each other, AND all software related to the two units is up-to-date BEFORE they send them back to me....  This is cleary in their interests as they can assure me that everything is working BEFORE I get the replacment units.

This makes sense doesn't it?

We'll see what happens!!!!

I am waiting to hear back from them.

But at this point, sadly, I am seriously contemplating the return of my purchase (some $AD1800, including spare blades and spare battery etc) and seeking a full refund.

I don't want to do that because I love the theory of the Karma Drone Combo unit....but if it's NOT RELIABLE than I can't use it as a 'value add' to my professional activities.

PLEASE Go Pro, replace my Grip and Camera and make it work. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Finally my problem seems to be solved but only after replacing Karma Grip with a new one. The replacement took place free of charge, including the couriers that took the old one and delivered to me the new one. It took about two weeks to return to me and of course I am feeling much better now, knowing that the new, or repaired grip, is working in good order. It is operating well now for about 20 days and I hope it will remain like that.

Sightseer

Same!!!!! Soo dissapointing why haven't they solved this!! I find this misleading on gopro's behalf as they advertise this product with it which is misleading to the customer, this is illegal!!!
Returning mine tomorrow! !
Hiker

Just to advise that connectivity issues may result from a faulty 'cage' or 'harness' (the thing that holds the camera on the gimbal).  After much discussion with GoPro Support Sydney (they were very helpful) GoPro sent me another 'cage' (with special 'hex' screwdriver) - and I replaced the cage -- everything now working fine!!

Tourist

Tourist

Hey everyone I just fixed mine, GoPro sent me a new housing and it works perfectly now. I contacted support regarding this issue and they shipped it to my house. Total of 2 weeks.