Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: no connection between hero 5 and karma grip

[ New ]
A friend has been looking into this situation and believes the hero5 black maybe stuck in USB mode, which it changes to with data transfer to desktops. Would this have an affect ??
Anonymous

[ New ]
Drone and grip seem to be working. Took the battery out of the h5 too the ad card out formatted the ad card from desktop, battery and ad back in reset the h5 seems ok.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Were you able to fix the problem? I'm experiencing the exact same problem

Anonymous

[ New ]

Purchased a Gopro Hero 5 Black a week ago and it seemed to work fine, tested it with different modes - lock up a couple of times when pressing the top record button to start record immediately instead of powering up on the side button. Otherwise, the camera was operating without any issues. Purchased the Karma grip over the weekend and I was super excited to test it. Well after waiting several hours for it to charge I finally put the camera in, power it on and realized there is no communication between camera and grip. Grip seems to work fine. I re-apply the firmware updates in GoPro, hard reset, Calibrate, several calls to GoPro support but issue remained unresolved.

GoPro was going to replace the Grip, but since I just bought it two days ago, I decided to return to Best Buy and have it swapped out. Rush home only to experience the same issue. No matter what I do, the same problem. Sometimes I get the USB connected, and the camera will turn on but no control from the grip.

Since I just purchased GoPro Hero 5 a week ago, I decided to go a swap that out as well for a new one just to rule out the slight chance that it could be the camera. Figured if this doesn't work I will just return grip and get my money back. Came home, plug in charge battery, update firmware and plug into the grip and start it up. Grip worked first time with the camera. So it looked like a problem with my GoPro camera, but now it's working every time since.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem. Contacted support.

Turn everything off

Take the stabilizer out of the grip.

Take the camera out of the stabilizer

Take the battery out of the camera

Put the battery back in the camera

Put the camera back in the stabilizer

Put the stabilizer back in the grip.

Hold the power button down

After about 8 seconds goes of

After a few more seconds the lights flash - the bottom light has a red hue.

Lights go off then come back on

Release button after about 30 seconds

Turn grip off

Turn grip on

Everything is working.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue as everyone else. I will work and work with the grip, charge batteries reset everything and get the grip working. Put it away for a week, dig it out and then the same issue again. There should be a fix for this or just refund everyone that purchased one. The GoPro was so rock solid is the reason I bought the grip. Hard to believe the two items come from the same company.

Anonymous

[ New ]

my hero 5 does not connect to the karma        

i also having problem connecting to the app  capture....the go pro continue to go around and around and around   and does not connect

i have reset many times and nothing, cant use the karma as it tells me that the is nocamera, the camera move in the Karma           couple of time that the go pra and karma connected  in the middle of the fly the go pro just went head down (yes battery was charged) and almost lost the whole unit,,,,have to landing manually   and ggod thing it was close    have it for 5-6 months    used it about 10 times because of this issue

is there a place i can send to get this issue fix? do i take it back to best buy?    when i use the stick  there is no problem   is only when using the karma    and the go pro works ok when not in the karma????? so what is the problem or solution?

yes i seen many utubes, i read tutorials and still not workig    

Anonymous

[ New ]

I tried all of the above and it did not fix the problem. Another forum suggested I re-format the MicroSD card from the GoPro Hero5 and that did the trick.  It's working for me now.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Not only have I tried to format the card from the camera I have tried three different brand cards. The Karma connects to the camera when it wants. Works when it wants. The other day after finally getting it working again I was recording a walk through my house and by the time I was done the karma grip no longer had connection to stop recording. Needless to say this is very frustrating. Between the motor noise and the almost unusuable audio from the Karma and the 20 minute time frame to get it working each time I use it seems hardly worth the work or effort. Hoping someone comes out with a grip that works much better.

Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro 5

Karma not connecting to GoPro (got all on Feb 2017)

..i have same problem .. kinda sad... 

will try to Format Card, i did updated Gopro.

t

thanks

Nikola 

Anonymous

[ New ]
formatting Crad did not helped .... must be problem with GoPro Update ...I am on 2.0 .
Is there some way to go back to previous version
tks
Nikola
Anonymous

[ New ]

Just to update previous posts: my personal saga, thankfully, looks like it is drawing to an end. My Karma grip stopped working satisfactorily as soon as I updated the firmware, after buying the Karma drone. I had all the problems reported by other users (failure of grip to control the GoPro; failure of GoPro to switch on when grip switched on; failure of GoPro to switch off when grip switched off etc.etc.). I tried all the various solutions (re-set, re-format, new card, power-cycling etc.). In the end I was able to send the stabliser back. I got a replacement this Saturday and the grip now appears to work reliably (I have tested it many times over the last two days). More to the point, for the first time since buying it at the start of June, my Karma drone actually took to the air. I'd like to say I'm excited again, but I'm not,  because it has dragged on so long and taken so long to get all the technology to work. However it looks like I can finally get going with some filming. The three big events I wanted the drone for have long past and I shall be very cautious, in view of the posts on the Karma Drone threads about other reliability problems. However, replacing the stabiliser seems to be a step forward. I'd encourage others to try this ...

Nomad

[ New ]
The problem with the grip is the main reason I don’t going to buy the karma drone, i returned it for repair hopefully I’ll get it back before my holiday to Lake Garda Italy.

Anonymous

[ New ]
i just did Factory re-set and than update to ver2.0 ... did not helped.
calling Support tomorrow however, i feel this is nothing to do with Software.
...Grip is busted!!!
... tree filming so far ( Winter and Summer)

love the gadget .. will see what is next.

Nikola
Anonymous

[ New ]

I've resolved myself to the idea that my Karma grip is like a cat, it works when it wants to. It should be listed as a beta product. I got it out yesterday wanted to use the grip while I was at the farm, as usual it didn't want to work so I put it away and just used the camera by itself.

Anonymous

[ New ]

calling Support, seating on a phone for 2h ... still no Answare???

scary!

Nikola 

Anonymous

[ New ]

got support online, was fairly quick process. Support person asked me to perform some test on Karma Grip... after 10 min he created a case and it's look like they will replace a Grip. 

Now i am in process to get a replacement. 

... will post you how this will continue. 

Thanks

Nikola

Anonymous

[ New ]

Unfortunately, I scoured the Internet for fixes, tried every one (literally), including getting a model of microsd card that is listed on their preferred sdcar page but still no luck (even though I already had 4 premium SanDisk Class 10 UHS models).  I could get the grip to work fine on it's own but it would never communicaate with the Hero 5.  It's been really frustrating because I really wanted it to work.  In the end I returned it to BestBuy.    Seems like a lot of people also bought theirs from BestBuy.  I'm wondering if maybe they just got a really large shipment of a bad batch of karma grips?  I see a couple on amazon too with a similar problem but not as many as on here from BestBuy.  Either way, it seens like an awesome little stabilizer if it worked with the camera.   I may look back into getting one if they ever come out with a fix.  For now I'll hold onto my $300 bucks.  Not buying the extra Session 5 for my son either because it's a bit scary when you call Support and are on hold for 2 hours with no response.   I eventually just hung up.   Bummed because I'm really a fan of GoPro too..

Anonymous

[ New ]

I purchased GoPro Care for what is described as 'Premium Customer Support'. I've been trying to reach customer support for over 90 minutes without any success. Chat does not work and when I press 'Option 3' on the customer support phone system the call automatically disconnects... just like the camera and Karma anytime I try to do something with them.

Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 11.30.57 AM.png
Hiker

[ New ]

My experience: I bought the Karma grip in February. I also have the same problem with the stability of the connection between the grip and the camera. Sometimes it showed a "USB connected" and I was able to control the camera with the grip. Both then again the camera wouldn't respond to turning on the grip. Until now I used the workaround to switch on and operate the camera with my hand. Not an ideal situation, but it worked.

However, last week I bought the drone and this problem now seemed really a problem. The Karma drone requires a stable connection between de controller, drone, stabilizer and the camera. And that didn't work in my case. Sometimes the camera responded to the stabilizer, but after 10 second it would just disconnect.

So I called the store from which I bought the grip. They have sent it back yesterday to GoPro support. Today I wanted to be sure that it was the grip that was the problem and not the camera or the drone. So I bought a new grip from the store. And what happened, fully stable connection, drone responded perfectly. So the grip is the problem

I hope the GoPro support will come up with the same conclusion and sent a replacement. As others in this topic already mentioned, replacing the grip might be the only solution.

Anonymous

[ New ]

My English is no good

So I test something issue

1. GOPRO 5
2. sandisk extreme u3 v30 128g
3. Karma Grip

When more than the 16g , it well occur error.

So i buy the new memory card , when i change kingston 32g u1, it is normal.
When more than the 16g , it well occur error again .
I tryed format v30 128g memory card , it normaled .

concludetion
when more than the 16g , it well occur error again. if you format your memory card , it well be all righe .

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

when more than the 16g , it well occur error again. if you format your memory card , it well be all righe .

Have a look in here. That's my experience on this topic. Unfortunately I never got feedback from anyone in here with kind of similar experiences. However, this issue still exists for me as described.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same issue as the rest of you. Got Hero 5 and Karma Grip for Christmas. Worked one time on Christmas vacation...one time in 5 days. Came home and put away till Hawaii trip in February (I don't have time to screw around too much at one time). Didn't work at all then. Customer support MIA. Came home, put away. Took it out again in July for a trip...didn't work then either. Came home and put it away. Took it out tonight...ran the newest software updates for grip and camera and it still doesn't work. So...I've owned it for 7 months and it's worked one time. I, too, have done all of the steps and fixes to no avail. Grip simply will not run camera. It's crap. Period. I'm screwed because I can't get a replacement or refund so I am stuck. I might as well throw it in the trash and sell the camera. The whole point of this was the grip and the camera...not just the camera. 

GoPro...get your stuff in one boot, will ya? You have said to contact you at the support web address. Yeah, good luck with that. Call? Right. Not worth my time or aggravation. Done with GoPro. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I got notice today for an update for my gopro 5. I had hoped maybe just maybe it would improve the Karma grip. Did the update. 30 minutes later still unable to get the grip to connect at all. Usually if I reset everything, format everything and charge everything I can get it working. Not sure if the update changed anything or it's just that the grip is such a horrible peace of crap that it won't work at all now. I'm thinking it might make a great pecan cracker or door stop.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Update: After a month it went back to being a lemon. Its been laying useless around my house. I want a refund. I totally expected the issue to be solved by now!
Anonymous

[ New ]

I had this same problem and it was also happening with my Karma Drone. 

SOLUTION: Power everything down. Take out the GoPro 5 Battery and let that sit for 10 minutes or more. At this time take the stabilizer (not Grip) and plug that into the power charger. Not sure which aspect of this solution was the key to success, but after reinsterting the battery into the camera, plugging it into the Grip or Karma drone, everything connected fine. Hope that helps others. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm currently on the phone waiting for tech support... been listening to same 'tips' for 23 minutes.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I have the same problem, stuck on "usb connected"
It work when the sd card is out, so I think the problem is when the karma grip try to read the card at launch (it was Ok with few photos and clips at the beginning but the more I took pictures and films, the more longer it take to boot the grip. Now it didn't work at all (296 files, around 25go)
Anonymous

[ New ]
Édit : card is a sandisk extreme 64go
Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

It work when the sd card is out, so I think the problem is when the karma grip try to read the card at launch (it was Ok with few photos and clips at the beginning but the more I took pictures and films, the more longer it take to boot the grip. Now it didn't work at all (296 files, around 25gb). 
card is a sandisk extreme 64gb.

As I already mentioned in this post I've got a similar issue described here.

I'm convinced that everyone will run into that issue. But unfortunately there are only a few people who noticed that because only a few people will keep such a large number of files stored on their used microSDXC's.

In my opinion this is obviously a bug in the firmware of the Karma Grip (beside a few other annoying bugs).

Anonymous

[ New ]

My karma grip and stabalizer and Hero 5 are now working correctly. 
I'm not completely sure what made the difference, but it started working correctly after changing the battery to a freshly charged one. The earlier battery had also been recently charged and was close to 90% charged. I have three batteries, and they all now work correctly, and I have several SD cards of different makes and capacities and speed and all work fine. Really odd. 
I suspect a bad connection in the harness inside the stabalizer.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Figured it out!! Turn on the karma grip with the camera in. The camera won't turn on but that's okay. Then, turn the top lever to unlock and remove the gimbal from the stabilizer while it's still on. Then, reinsert the gimbal with the handle still turned on. Then press and hold power. It blinks a white and a red light. Then press and hold again and it will power off. Then turn it back on. That's what I did and now it works perfectly again!! YES!!!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]

I've tried every button combo. Purchased 5 different sd micro cards and three batteries for the hero 5. If I reboot, format, reset everything I can get it working for a few minutes. Last time I did it before I could stop recording it had already lost communication and no longer controlled the camera. It is obvious the USB is still connected as it will not take voice commands until you pull the gimbel out of the grip. The solution would be for gopro to either come up with an update that fixes the issue so it works as designed or do a complete recall.

Tourist

[ New ]

Having updated my GoPro to the latest version 😡 It's now not working, it worked for a short time before.

I do love the GoPro but after having the grip for ages and GoPro having still not fixed the problem I feel very let down.

Can't believe they haven't even acknowledged there is a problem after all this time.

Tourist

[ New ]

Has the new Grip firmware update solved peoples problems??????

mine still isn't working properly after updating to v1.51

Anonymous

[ New ]
Negative, no sollution for me yet, as i just came back home from ship, seaman, forwarded to service for repairs/ replacement, awaiting final tesults
Anonymous

[ New ]

I removed the battery from my Hero 5 for a few minutes. Then put it back in. Then put the hero 5 back into the Karma grip and now it is working perfectly!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey All

...my problem was that was no connection to Stabilizator at all ... chated with Customer Support and they quickly just organized replacement sent to my home address (you need to send them first requested Part). 

I must say it was great expirience talking wiht Customer support representatives ... they did birng back my confidence in GoPro. You pay premium for great product and inovation ... will support more GoPro after this expirience.

... i know, there is frustration part however, i was gambliing by buying brand new inovative product however, they did not take advantage of my Gambling/Support. 

Thanks

Nikola 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem.  Frustrating.  Called tech support.  3 hour hold time.  Arghhh!!!  Looks like lots of people struggling with this expensive equipment that doesn't work.  Step it up GoPro.

@Anonymous wrote:

My GoPro Hero 5 cannot be connected with the Karma Grip. Karma Grip powers on normally, however the camera does not power on together, I am powering on my camera manually as it is attached to the grip, I can operate it through the smart remote or my phone app, but cannot be operated with the Grip's Buttons.

I have tried the 60 seconds method, I tried the manual update on my camera, I tried the calibration on the Gimbal but not any results.

Anybody can help?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi all,

Just bought my first GoPro last week.

Took it to London for a few days of filming this weekend, to figure out how to use it, and on day three, it started comming up with what I now know is this issue. It was intermittent at first, but now it's stuck constantly.

I  tried all the resets I could, and have just tried formatting the memory card from the camera. This seems to have worked for me, but is obviously very annoying.

It's a 64GB Sandisk extreme card. There were 264 files on there (lots of short >10 second clips) totalling 12.1GB.

I am very very disapointed to have invested so heavily last week (GoPro hero 5 black, underwater housing, Supercharger, dual battery charger, memory card, floaty grip, 20,000ma Anker power pack, Karma grip) in anticipation of my holiday to Malaysia next week, only to find that there is this issue with the grips, that has been going on for months, and seems to have no official fix, or word from GoPro. It looks to me as though GoPro are effectivley, knowingly selling a defective product at this point.

As I won't be able to take my laptop away, to get footage off my SD card, my only course of action right now is to ensure I take multiple SD cards - many more than I would normally expect to need, so that when the issue pops up, I can change cards.

Really not happy.

If these issues continue through, and after my holiday, I will be returning the product for a refund, which is a real shame, as when it was working, I was really really happy with it, and was learning to get some great footage with it.

I bought the Karma Grip  through Amazon, and I note now, that on Amazon, it states that "a newer version of this product is available". What's that all about? What is the difference? Is this a new model that will fix the problems? I am tempted to send this one back right away for a refund, and order the new one, but don't want to risk not getting it before Friday. What's everone's thoughts? DOes the new model fix the issue?

Can anyone from GoPro chime in on this and confirm that the new model will fix the issues? And, if now, then why in the heck is it still on sale?

Sorry for the ranty first post eveyone - I am just a little frustrated and disapointed after spending what is, for me, a significant amount of money.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a 64GB Sandisk extreme card. There were 264 files on there (lots of short >10 second clips) totalling 12.1GB.

The large number of files is the only problem. Manufacturer and size of the used microSDXC doesn't matter. I've doublechecked that already and described that issue in this topic but didn't get any reaction from GoPro.
I'm convinced that everyone will run into that issue. But unfortunately there are only a few people who noticed that because only a few people will keep such a large number of files stored on their used microSDXC's.
In my opinion this is obviously a bug in the firmware of the Karma Grip (beside a few other annoying bugs).

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having the same issue lately. It took quite some time to connect and when I press the record button, my hero 5 does not record.

Before I updated to this latest version, the problem was only connection. Now it does not sync with my hero 5.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hitnan,

Thanks for that. It definitely seems to be an issue related to the number of files on the card. It's happened the same way on there separate cards now.

I'm really angry. I bought the camera and grip to take on holiday to Malaysia with me. I don't have a way on holiday of clearing the files from the cards to reuse them, so I'm currently upto 3 cards that are now "full" even though they're at less than half capacity, and I've just had too buy two more here in Singapore to get me through the rest of my holiday.

This has added significant cost onto my gopro setup and has made me incredibly angry.

Why is there no response from gopro on this issue? It looks to have been going for ages now.

Does the new version of the grip, or the new firmware fix this?

If I can't get a resolution I'll have little choice but tho return the equipment as faulty and claim a refund on it. Which is really annoying, as I'll then be stuck with an endless amount of memory cards I'll not need.

That there has been no response from gopro on this is very very disappointing.

I'd really love to know if the new firmware fixes the issue (and if not, why not? ) or if the newer version of the grip available on Amazon fixes the issue - if it doesn't, then gopro are in really shady territory as they are knowingly selling a faulty product.

Tourist

[ New ]

Had the same issue as everyone here.  As soon as I updated to v 1.51 no connection between Karma Grip and Hero5.  Same with Karma Drone, however I can get the drone to work eventually by turning drone on... stablizer... er stablizes but does not turn on Hero5 (just like Grip).  Then I manually turn on Hero 5 by pressing power button, wait for Hero5 to turn on.  Then turn off Drone.  Turn on Drone, wait about 3 minutes until drone power light blinks green and stays green... then boom, it works, can fly and record.  If I put he stablizer back into grip, same issue again and have to do this "workaround" with the drone.

Either way GoPro clearly messed up the grip,stablizer with the latest update... so wheres the fix, aka new update GoPro?

I called "Care" haha, and they instantely said they will replace the stablizer (known issue?) however, the nice Indian lady said they are out of stock (KNOWN ISSUE!?) so they can replace the Karma Grip instead becuase they are in stock and come with the stabilzer.  Unfortunately GoPro's wonderful policy requires me/us to send in the faulty equipment first, before they send out the replacement... guess they never heard of the industry leader Amazon's policy... send me the replacement and i will send you the POS back in the same box.

Whatever, had to vent my frustrations here, thanks for reading... if you did and hopefully this helps or further confirms you have a very expensive grippy brick in your hands.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:
[...] It definitely seems to be an issue related to the number of files on the card. It's happened the same way on there separate cards now [...]

Right. As I already said: Manufacturer and size of the card doesn't matter. With more than 250 clips on it the grip won't be able to handle that. Thus you won't be able to record anymore until you've changed the card inside the camera.

@Anonymous wrote:
[...] I don't have a way on holiday of clearing the files from the cards to reuse them, so I'm currently upto 3 cards that are now "full" even though they're at less than half capacity, and I've just had too buy two more here in Singapore to get me through the rest of my holiday. This has added significant cost onto my gopro setup [...]

Exactly the same thing happened to me traveling through a round trip on the Balearic Islands during my holidays for 3 weeks.

Took 3 cards with me: 1x 64 GB, 1x 128 GB, 1x 256 GB.

The ones with 128 GB and 256 GB appeared completely useless after having more than 250 clips on it although only about 70 GB of space has been used on each one.

Had to buy 2x 64 GB on the Balearic Islands and took me a whole day to find a local dealer in the outback of the smaller isle! What a waste of time and money!

Nobody has got the chance to upload hundreds of gigabytes in a cloud or whereever in order to clear some cards completely during your holidays!

And now: What should I do with the useless large cards I bought before going on my holidays?!

@Anonymous wrote:
[...] Why is there no response from gopro on this issue? It looks to have been going for ages now. [...] That there has been no response from gopro on this is very very disappointing [...]

Unfortunately you should get used to the fact that GoPro NEVER respones on things like that.

If you expected to get some helpful informations in here you should know that responses from GoPro always can be compared to nothing more than first level support.

@Anonymous wrote:
[...] Does the new version of the grip, or the new firmware fix this? I'd really love to know if the new firmware fixes the issue (and if not, why not? ) or if the newer version of the grip available on Amazon fixes the issue [...]

The so-called "new" grip seems to be exactly the same like the "old" grip. Only exception: The "new" grip hasn't got the case included anymore. Thus the only really new thing is that the price increased and nothing else as long as GoPro isn't able to tell anybody what the differences really are.

I've got only the "old" version of the grip with the new firmware installed but haven't tested yet, whether the new firmware fixed this issue or not. But it should be quite easy to find out: Just copy let's say 260 GoPro clips from your HDD to your card, put the card in your camera, mount the camera to your grip, switch the grip on and have a look what'll happen... I guess: Nothing new... But as I said: I haven't tried it yet.

Anonymous

[ New ]

IMHO it has nothing to do with the number of files on the card. I delete all files everytime I upload so my cards (all of them) are empty all the time and the issue still exist. IMHO the problem is with the software on the gopro itself. With every gopro update the problem has gotten worse until now it is almost impossible to ever get the gopro to operate through the Karma grip. I love the camera but the combonation of grip and camera are worthless.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO it has nothing to do with the number of files on the card. I delete all files everytime I upload so my cards (all of them) are empty all the time and the issue still exist. IMHO the problem is with the software on the gopro itself.[...]

Well, different users with different pieces of hardware might have different problems. I surely don't deny that you might have another cause for the same problem but in my case I can definetely confirm that the one and only reason why my grip isn't able to operate with the H5B properly is: Everytime when there have been more than about 250 clips stored on the card it's impossible to record anything. No matter what kind of card you'll use. And as I already mentioned: This issue is repeatable in a comprensible way. Dumb "solution" for me if you haven't got the chance to delete some clips: Buy a lot of small 64 GB cards instead of less larger 128 GB or even 256 GB cards as I did (unfortunately not knowing anything about this issue before I was going out for my holidays). This is more than crazy!

Anonymous

[ New ]

ohhh wwoooww this is the one that worked for me!! Just bought the karma drone kit new and i had this problem. Spent 2 days trying to fix it. Scoured the forum, all the manual restarts and hard resets and calibrations and everything that people have tried on this forum up until this point. all off. stabilizer out of grip, go pro out of stabilizer, battery out of go pro (wait 10 sec), battery into go pro,go pro into stabilizer, stabilizer into grip, hard reset of grip, off grip , on grip, perfect with drone and everything. Thanks this guy!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Sadly I am suffering this problem too... I purchased the Karma Drone pack with Hero 5 this month and was looking forward to a system which would work for me.  I am a journalist and marketer and looked forward to using the Karma Drone propfessionally, with the bonus of using the Karma Grip as a 'steadicam' both for video and stills images.  BUT I have not been able to 'fly' my Karma drone so far, as nothing will connect with the Hero 5.  My Karma Controller says 'camera not connected'.  I cannot see camera images on the Controller, so I cannot even think of flying the Drone - and, further, the Grip does not 'talk' to (or allow me to operate) the camera using the Karma Grip buttons. Note: I have upgraded software and have done everything GoPro has recommended (and have used the suggested fixes on this forum) and nothing has worked. 

I am in Australia and must say that the GoPro Hotline here is very good....I have had no problems connecting with a consultant, within minutes - and I have had a sympathetic hearing from call-centre staff.

I am certain, for the moment at least, that the Drone will work -- but will not make it 'fly' until the camera and gimbal 'talk' with each other -- how else can I see where I am flying? 

Further I have registered with the Commonwealth Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) as a responsible drone operator and I cannot and will not use a drone which is not 'fit for purpose'.

SO have told Go Pro that I wish to send back the Hero 5 and the Karma Grip for replacement.  Clearly they are not talking to each other despite my diligent efforts to make them 'handshake'.

Further I have told GoPro, on the basis of their replacement of the TWO units, that THEY must ensure the Cam and Grip are talking to each other, AND all software related to the two units is up-to-date BEFORE they send them back to me....  This is cleary in their interests as they can assure me that everything is working BEFORE I get the replacment units.

This makes sense doesn't it?

We'll see what happens!!!!

I am waiting to hear back from them.

But at this point, sadly, I am seriously contemplating the return of my purchase (some $AD1800, including spare blades and spare battery etc) and seeking a full refund.

I don't want to do that because I love the theory of the Karma Drone Combo unit....but if it's NOT RELIABLE than I can't use it as a 'value add' to my professional activities.

PLEASE Go Pro, replace my Grip and Camera and make it work. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Finally my problem seems to be solved but only after replacing Karma Grip with a new one. The replacement took place free of charge, including the couriers that took the old one and delivered to me the new one. It took about two weeks to return to me and of course I am feeling much better now, knowing that the new, or repaired grip, is working in good order. It is operating well now for about 20 days and I hope it will remain like that.