Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

my Hero8 does not recognize 3.5mm external mic adaptor

[ New ]

hi Everyone and GoPro
My GoPro Hero8 which I bought just 10 days ago does not recognize 3.5mm GoPro External adaptor. I have also Hero7 and it has no problem working with 3.5mm external microphone adaptor it immediately recognizes that an external mic is attached. But hero8 does not recognize it. I also upgraded the firmware but still the problem is there. Any solution before I ask for a replacement from the shop where I bought in Hong Kong.

hero8.jpg
GoPro Community Manager

Re: my Hero8 does not recognize 3.5mm external mic adaptor

[ New ]

@fotografcinet - The Mic Adapter should work with the HERO8 Black. If it's not recognizing the mic, normally we'd suggest doing a manual update on the firmware. Since it sounds like you've already done that, I'd recommend reaching out to our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so we can do some troubleshooting with you on this issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for the reply. Yesterday I went to ther shop where I bought the Hero8 and they suggested me to go to the service center in Hongkong and today I will go there. Yesterday we also saw that the mic adaptor was also not recognized by my Hero7 as well as Hero8 so it seems the mic adaptor has a connection problem.

@jefft wrote:

@fotografcinet- The Mic Adapter should work with the HERO8 Black. If it's not recognizing the mic, normally we'd suggest doing a manual update on the firmware. Since it sounds like you've already done that, I'd recommend reaching out to our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so we can do some troubleshooting with you on this issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

my problem was solved by downgrading the firmware to v1.2 by the service center in Hong Kong and also replacing my extermal mic adapter. Unfortunately they confirmed me that this problem is very common and they all advised the other hero8 users not to upgrade the firmware to 1.5 sooo it seems GoPro HAS TO develop and new firmware to solve this important problem epecially for vloggers and youtubers who want the best sound quality from their Gopro cameras. THe problem with  v1.2, we can not get hypersmooth 4K60fps video. So this problem must be solved ASAP.
Go please to your attention.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I been waiting for a post like this of th Hero 8 

Adventurer

[ New ]

@fotografcinet My Suggestion to you then to be  Missguided  by a GoPro retailer,  is to get a Exchange, on the spot.

FOr the GoPro Team @jefft  I  have been with three faulty products of the Audio N/A to know its  hardware/SOftware related.  Firmware can update the  camera but won't fix a well known Issue.

Fish

Hiker

[ New ]

Dont ever upgrade the firmware to v1.5 it will not solve the external microphone recognition problem. Better you downgrade to v1.2 this must solve the problem (connecting 3.5mm ext mic adaptor to hero8). This is what the service center did to my Hero8. They even gave me a new Hero8 and a new 3.5mm External Mic Adaptor with the previous firmware V1.2

So you all need to do these unless Gopro fixes this problem with a Brand New Firmware. Maybe V1.6 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Did you see it working on mine.