Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

media mod will not work with external mic

[ New ]

I got a media mod for my Gopro hero 8 to use on a motorcycle, software is up to date and set to external powered mic ,mic has a charged battery (tested with meter) and will work on other devices.

using a Rode trrs to trs adapter. tried with quick capture and turning on and then pressing record ,no sound at all ,media mod mics work fine but I need the external mic to work,thats why I paid £79.99 for the mod plus the mic so not happy.

I have seen that this is a common thread on forums, an expensive piece of tech just doesn't work as it should.

grateful for any advice.

Paddy

Nomad

Re: media mod will not work with external mic

[ New ]

If there is no sound at all, try changing the setting to a non powered mic and see if that works.  It may also help if you share the make and model of the mic you're using.

Not all mics are equal, for instance there are some types of mics that have a TRRS end on them (which shouldn't work with the GoPro Media mod as it only accepts a TRS connection) however these mics can have a powered switching adapter that turns the TRRS into a TRS system without the need for an adapter.  So putting an adapter on the mic would actually make it not work with the media mod (since it's already switched to a TRS).  This raises a flag when you say your mic has a charged battery.  

So make, model and type of mic so we can do a bit of research and try to solve your issue!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

That makes sense,The mic is a SYNCOLav-s6  powered and despite it being a trrs and not working 2 days ago,it now works without the adapter,even on quick capture.

I may feel confident to get a ride lavalier mic now that I know it's working.

thanks for the reply and assistance,much appreciated.

paddy

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi 

sorry that should read RODE......

paddy

Nomad

[ New ]

Well that's strange, but maybe it's like one of the mics I own, TRRS, but you flip on the power to turn it into a TRS, no adapter needed.  Anyway, glad it's working for you, now go make some cool video's and for gods sake, post the links here!  Some of us are bored stuck at home!

Tourist

[ New ]
Will do thanks again