Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

.lrv files only

I've had and used this gopro for a long time now.

Went on a motorcycle ride with friends and I get home and it only recorded .lrv files!

I've done research and changing the .lrv to mp4 doesn't make it playable.

64 gig PNY storage, barely used more than 5 gigs.

High res doesn't matter, I just want to be able to see the low res anyway.

Help anyone?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: .lrv files only

At this point I would suspect an issue with the SD card and the camera not being able to close the files completely (this would give a file name but a 0 kb data).  If that's the case, I doubt there is much you can do to recover the files.  If you have another card from this list, you should do some test and see if you can repeat the issue.  If you can, then it's the camera (or possibly something during transfer, but doubtful).  If you can't get the issue to happen again with the new card, then the likelihood of it being the PNY card is much more likely.

You should do a FULL Overwrite of your SD card with this tool and then a format within the camera before starting your test with the new card.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

@sandman203, it's unlikely for the camera to create .LRV files only instead of.MP4 files for the videos. These LRV files are only necessary to support the Copy, Playback, and Share functionality in the latest version of the GoPro App.

How are you changing the file extension on your computer? Check your folder settings to see if extensions are hidden.

Highlighted
Tourist

I understand.  Thank you for your help! I've had this gopro for years and successfully transferred and viewed many videos.  I use a Mac and understand just changing the extension of the file 'should' let me watch and view them.  (ex: renaming test123.lrv to test123.mp4 is just changing the last 3 letters)  I know I would really like to have this footage, and I came back and popped the card into the larger card (forgot the name) and plugged it in.  18 .lrv files show up.  No other files.  Normally there are 3 sets of files.  .lrv's, mp4's and thm files.  I also understand that there 's supposed to be mp4's in there as high res versions and lrvs are low res.   I just need to be able to at least view the .lrv's and if changing the extension doesn't work, i'm not sure what else to do..?? When I change the extension to mp4 the icon changes to a normal video icon but VLC can't play it, quicktime cant read it, I even tried to put them in Adobe Premiere unsuccesffully.  It copied about 5 gigs worth of lrv's though..so there HAS to be some kind of data. My only thought is that they are corrupt.  Thoughts??

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

@sandman203, changing the file extension from .LRV to .MP4 will allow you to play the video as normal. Have you tried a different media player (other than VLC and Quicktime)? If the file is unreadable on any of these applications, it is likely that the files are corrupted.

If you don't mind, you can upload a sample raw/unedited .LRV file to your Dropbox or Google drives and provide the shared link to me via private message. I can check the file and see what we can do to help.

Highlighted
Explorer

How did you originally transfer the videos over to your computer? Also, what is the date/time stamp on the lrv files? I remember someone having a similar issue awhile back and they kept insisting that no mp4 video files had been created. As it turned out in that case, the camera had made the mp4 video files but when Quik Desktop imported them, because the date/time was wrong, the user was just looking in the wrong folder. Be sure to look in older folders.
Highlighted
Tourist
Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Explorer

At this point I would suspect an issue with the SD card and the camera not being able to close the files completely (this would give a file name but a 0 kb data).  If that's the case, I doubt there is much you can do to recover the files.  If you have another card from this list, you should do some test and see if you can repeat the issue.  If you can, then it's the camera (or possibly something during transfer, but doubtful).  If you can't get the issue to happen again with the new card, then the likelihood of it being the PNY card is much more likely.

You should do a FULL Overwrite of your SD card with this tool and then a format within the camera before starting your test with the new card.