Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

lens distortion on GPH7B in linear mode

Hello all,

I use the GoPro Hero 7 Black for underwater video - one of the major issues I've been having is lens distortion in linear mode.

This is clearly visible on the sides of the image in linear mode, especially if there are vertical lines on the sides or if the camera is panning - object such as a school fish entering the image are also distorted.

Here is snippet i- nothing fancy but pretty characteristic: you can see the distortion on both sides, pretty horrible - i chose this clip because camera movements + vertical structure of the reef make the side distortion quite obvious - haven't managed to correct this problem in post.

I was using the GPH4 in medium fov for a few years, and never had this issue, which showed up when the new fov system was introduced.

I'm aware that using the zoom function might help, but underwater the zoom function, accessed through the touch screen, is unavailable, and it's not possible to lock the zoom position (camera resets when it turns off, and leaving it on for the whole dive is not really an option)

I haven't found a way to fix this in post (played around with FCPX's fish eye function, cropping, alex4d plugins to no avail)

Have others found a work around? Is there a slim chance of an update allowing to access the zoom without the touch screen, or to properly lock the zoom, which would also be very useful for macro video for instance.

It would be nice is supersuit users could access functions now made essential such as the zoom underwater.

Thanks

ben

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: lens distortion on GPH7B in linear mode

[ Edited ]

If you want to shoot in GoPro’s RAW photo format (.gpr), you’re limited to shooting in the Wide field of view mode. The Linear field of view, which corrects for the fisheye distortion of the GoPro lens, is only available when you shoot in JPG.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @raymanta. Thank you for the information that you provided. Which resolution was the camera set to when you did the recording? Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? Is this happening only for underwater recordings? 

There is currently no way to set the Zoom when the camera is in the Super Suit. All other settings though, including Protune settings can be accessed by simultaneously pressing the shutter and the Mode button. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@addisj05843 wrote:

If you want to shoot in GoPro’s RAW photo format (.gpr), you’re limited to shooting in the Wide field of view mode. The Linear field of view, which corrects for the fisheye distortion of the GoPro lens, is only available when you shoot in JPG.

Hi,

I only shoot video, not stills, and use the linear mode in pro-tune. If you re-read my post, you'll see that the problem I'm having is lens distortion on the sides of the image while shooting video in linear mode.

thanks

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello, @raymanta. Thank you for the information that you provided. Which resolution was the camera set to when you did the recording? Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? Is this happening only for underwater recordings? 

There is currently no way to set the Zoom when the camera is in the Super Suit. All other settings though, including Protune settings can be accessed by simultaneously pressing the shutter and the Mode button. 

Hi
The camera is shooting in linear 2.7K 60fps, with protune activated. It has the latest firmware. The distortion is also visible on dry land, and I have 2 GPH7B with the same settings, having the same "issue".
I'm aware of the shutter mode button access - it's ok though not very convenient underwater. However the zoom function, or at least a zoom lock which stays on even after the camera has turned off would be fantastic. Maybe an idea for a firmware update?

I can garantee that 100% of underwater photographers (and macro lens manufacturers for GoPros...) would love you for this little zoom lock function, crucial when shooting while diving

I have loads of footage fron the GPH4S that i used with similar settings in medium fov, and there isn't as much barrel distortion.
here's an example, shot on the 4 silver, medium fov, no distortion

The issue appeared when i "upgraded" to the GPH6B with its new field of view - I hoped the GPH7B would fix it, but it doesn't seem like it.
Is there anyway to get rid of the side distortion in linear mode on the GPH7B?
Here's another example on the 7 black, linear fov - less vertical lines, so less distracting, but still quite blurry and deformed on the sides of the image

thanks
b

Highlighted
Hiker

Looking into it, I'm starting to wonder if this is not linked to the way the new fov works.

Checking out this video

You can see the distortion when he's panning with the camera, around 1:38 for instance - I'm getting this a lot underwater. I'm wondering if this is not because the in-camera distortion correction doesn't have enough time to be applied yet, whereas models like the GPH4 used a different fov technique.

Highlighted
Hiker

Ok, so maybe the solution would be to get third party non-fisheye lenses to get rid of the distortion?

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am having the same horrible issue on GPH7B in linear mode, I need help, Anybody?

GOPR0868.JPG