Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

invisible selife stick

Best Way to do that is to make sure that the pole is directly beneath the MAX so it is completely in the stitch line. Also, bor best effect, use an extended pole that is more than 6" long - the longer the better. 

The above answer was posted to a question about removing the Pole. Could post the discussion. pasted the answer here.

If I want a 6 foot pole what size should the outside diameter be? 

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: invisible selife stick

[ Edited ]

I purchased a soild 1" plexiglass rod/pole, from a local shop that specializes in plexiglass fabrication. The shop measured the base of the fusion grip it's 1.5". I went with a 7 foot pole the longest they have. I took them a tripod finger mount, the shop tapped the rod/pole and now it's dead center. It's almost a perfect fit for what I wanted.

I wanted something that would resemble a low flying drone, using the Fusion to get full 360 that I can adjust in post. At 7 feet, it kind of heavy when held at angles or horizontal. Vertically it seems to work pertty good, I'm getting some swing from side to side, when holding it by hand as high as I can get it. 

After talking with a fabricator, I decied to start with the 7 foot pole, and have them trim it to size. Cheaper then cutting and buying different sizes. I'm going to give it a month, if I don't like the results, I'll have them cut it in two: 4 feet and 3 feet. 

I think it safe to say, "You can get a pole as big as 1.5", but keep at 4 feet if you want to avoid bends." 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

At the connection there just didn't have to be anything sticking out further than the width/depth of the camera. Most manufacturers don't post the diameter of the connection, but as long as the tip of the pole has a standard tripod screw (for attaching the GoPro tripod adapter), or the GoPro mounting fingers, you will be fine. What you want to avoid are poles that have a slot for a GoPro mounting buckle to slide into.

An end, like found on the Max Grip, works great.
Something like the end on the El Grande will show.
Highlighted
Hiker

I find that the Fusion Grip hides the pole stick, it's too close and the hand is distorted. Not sure if a longer stick would make a difference there. I've ordered the Insta360 R Invisible Selfie Stick to see if that helps.

Below is from my Smatree selfie stick, which I think is about the same length as the Insta360 stick. About 27 inches.

You can see the distortion in my hand.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 5.21.29 PM.png

Highlighted
Hiker

swooshdave,

Not sure if a longer stick would make a difference there.

A GoPro Mod/Admin replied to a different post. I couldn't post the link for some reason, can't find it now. 

The Mod/Admin had a pretty long reply, it comes down to the longer the better. This video on youtube Gopro Tips channel video title "MAX Mounting Tips with Abe Kislevitz" if you don't trust links. 2:22 mark. 

I was looking to see if anyone had a DIY Diameter Size they like to share. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Here is a example of the Pole GoPro Tips Channel video title "GoPro: Creator Series - MAX Behind the Scenes with Arata Fukoe" you won't miss the pole trust me. I was looking to see if someone had a Pole Diameter Size they like to share. 

Found the original post I want to link "Does the app automatically remove the selfie stick when used with the GoPro Max?" thread is here on gopro.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I purchased a soild 1" plexiglass rod/pole, from a local shop that specializes in plexiglass fabrication. The shop measured the base of the fusion grip it's 1.5". I went with a 7 foot pole the longest they have. I took them a tripod finger mount, the shop tapped the rod/pole and now it's dead center. It's almost a perfect fit for what I wanted.

I wanted something that would resemble a low flying drone, using the Fusion to get full 360 that I can adjust in post. At 7 feet, it kind of heavy when held at angles or horizontal. Vertically it seems to work pertty good, I'm getting some swing from side to side, when holding it by hand as high as I can get it. 

After talking with a fabricator, I decied to start with the 7 foot pole, and have them trim it to size. Cheaper then cutting and buying different sizes. I'm going to give it a month, if I don't like the results, I'll have them cut it in two: 4 feet and 3 feet. 

I think it safe to say, "You can get a pole as big as 1.5", but keep at 4 feet if you want to avoid bends." 

Highlighted
Hiker

@travisii wrote:

You may find a PVC tube will be considerably lighter athough you can't tap the hole in a tube. Glueing in a plug and tapping that would work.

Highlighted
Hiker

@swooshdave 

this was my plan. At 6 feet plus the CPVC Or PVC Pipe/tube started to bend, without a gopro attachted.  I tested a few different types of tubes at the shop, the 1" had less bend. With careful editing, you can make either work. 

Let me how the  Insta360 R Invisible Selfie Stick works.