Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

i just bought a hero 8 black. II am unable to update the firmware. Update fails every time

[ New ]

Can anyone help me figure out how to get this camera functional please. I am using the go pro app on an iPad.  I also have a macbook but not yet a SD card reader.  I am not at all tech savvy.  No matter what I do the update fails.  Been messing with it since Christmas and still unable to take even a picture. Please help. 

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: i just bought a hero 8 black. II am unable to update the firmware. Update fails every time

[ New ]
If you have a card reader, you won't need the GoPro app to update the camera. Follow the instructions on the update page to load the firmware update to the SD card, then place the card in the camera and turn it on.

https://gopro.com/en/us/support/product-update/register-camera

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Re: i just bought a hero 8 black. II am unable to update the firmware. Update fails every time

[ New ]

If the update is failing via the app, then the only way to fix this is via a manual update which will require an SD card reader.  Does anyone you know have an android phone and would they be willing to try updating your camera?  Or do you know someone with a PC and an SD card reader that may be able to perform the update for you.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you so much for the reply. That is exactly my thinking as to why I was stuck. Am I correct in thinking that even with a card reader accessory for my my MacBook, which I need to buy anyways, I still won’t be able until to proceed because I can not download the GoPro app on there?
Nomad

[ New ]
If you have a card reader, you won't need the GoPro app to update the camera. Follow the instructions on the update page to load the firmware update to the SD card, then place the card in the camera and turn it on.

https://gopro.com/en/us/support/product-update/register-camera