Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

how to recover a deleted video from go pro hero 7

[ New ]

Hi, I recently took a video on my gopro hero 7 and while wathcing & cleaning out some old photos and videos, deleted a video I still want. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could recover it? Thanks 

GoPro

Re: how to recover a deleted video from go pro hero 7

[ New ]

Hi @israelmp

We do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. However, you may be able to perform a Google search to find various data recovery options to recover the footage that had been lost. Yet, please do your research on whichever data recovery software is best for you as it may require activation of the software and there may be varying costs.
It is also best not to record any new photos and or videos with the card that had been used. This will overwrite the  files that may have been on there to where it would not be possible to recover. 
I do recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: how to recover a deleted video from go pro hero 7

[ New ]

Hi,

I'd the suggest to do the following:

1. Put your microSD card into an SD adapter and then lock it with a safety switch on the side of the adapter. This will make sure no new data will be written on the card. If you won't lock the card this way, there is a high chance some temporary files will be written on it when you'll connect it to a computer. 

2. Once the card is locked, insert it to a card reader and then create an image of the SD card. This must be a complete RAW copy of the entire card, including data from free space blocks. So, the image file must be .IMG. Other image types won’t work. 

3. Now, you can use the image of the card as a source for recovering your video files. You can try some data recovery tools, such as Recuva (free). 

But before trying any tools, I’d suggest to make a backup copy of the image file, in case anything goes wrong and you have to get back to your source image. Also, having the image file, you can continue using your SD card to shoot new videos.

Also, it’s a known issue that most of the data recovery apps can’t handle video files properly due to their fragmentation. So, you might need some manual recovery services to get the files back. Anyways, good luck!