Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

how do we turn off gopro hero3 from app

[ Edited ]

New user to Hero3+ how do i turn off camera from app and back to just wifi mode?  seems whenturning on you can have just wfi on and then turn on camera to capture from app, but once done capturing no way seen toi go back to just wifi on, which really eats up battery.

Any ideas? Work arounds? thanks

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: how do we turn off gopro hero3 from app

Hey @daggerscamera

I think you're thinking of the newer cameras that can drop into BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) after a period of inactivity. On HERO3 and 3+ cameras the only option is Wi-Fi and it will stay on even if you exit the App. It will drain the battery, though not as fast as the camera's other functions. Best practice is to turn off Wi-Fi if you're not going to use it for a little while. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hey @daggerscamera

Are you wanting to turn the Wi-Fi off entirely to save battery or are you wanting to switch it to the Wi-Fi remote control mode? Basically the HERO3+ can have Wi-Fi off OR Wi-Fi on and configured to the remote OR Wi-Fi on and configured to the App. 

To turn the Wi-Fi on and off from the mode it's in, hold down the side button on the camera until you see the blue light blink a few times. You have full control over the Wi-Fi settings in the camera's settings menu where you will find a section titled WIRELESS CONTROLS. 

Hope that helps!

Sightseer

1)I want to turn camera off from app.

2) but leave wifi on,

3) Right now as posted in my original question, you can have camera off (1), wifi on and when ready connect, preview and record, then stop recording!  

4) BUT camera stays on preview ready and not back to wifi only mode!

So it drains battery faster.

GoPro

Hey @daggerscamera

I think you're thinking of the newer cameras that can drop into BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) after a period of inactivity. On HERO3 and 3+ cameras the only option is Wi-Fi and it will stay on even if you exit the App. It will drain the battery, though not as fast as the camera's other functions. Best practice is to turn off Wi-Fi if you're not going to use it for a little while. 

Adventurer

BLTE  are only for the Hero 4 and up, you will ahve to update  to a hero 5 or  manually  turn it off. sorry but that is  the benefit of a new camera better feature