Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

how do I connect an external power

[ New ]

How do I keep the battery and SD card safe when using Hero 8 black with an external power supply and/or an ext

Nomad

Re: how do I connect an external power

[ New ]

If you're connecting an external power supply, then you actually need to remove the internal battery for it to work.  Otherwise the camera will just run off the battery until it runs dead and shuts down.  Only when it shuts down will the battery charge.  So your option is to either use a 3rd party door that allows you to access the USB port (it won't be waterproof) or to just make sure you use your camera in very dry conditions.

Tourist

[ New ]

Oh dear. So you are saying the door cannot be left open when a cable is plugged in (like the H7B) and the battery cannot be kept charging from external power. That makes the Hero 8 Black about as much use as a chocolate teapot - I will return it and try to get my money back. Does anyone know a make and model of camera that has a better battery or will allow an external power connection through a proper door as a standard part.

Thanks in advance for any help.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nicecreek80424,

It would be best if you'll remove the battery to avoid overheating and battery damage. 

You might also consider getting a 3rd party side door that has access to the charging port.

-Jay

Nomad

[ New ]

There's no one to stop you leaving the door open and charging, it's not like the "Door police" will arrest you, some people just like a closed door option as to keep dust and dirt out.  With the GP7 you had to leave a side door open to power it and that made it not waterpoof either.  So there's no real difference there.

I do extended shoots with my GP8 by simply running a power cable into either it or the media mod and I don't have issues.  If I want to shoot in wet conditions or bad weather, I simply use my GoPro Hero 4 black using a 24hour battery pack that's waterproof.  Unfortunately they don't make either of those any more, so picking them up isn't that easy any more.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Ues a Ulanzi G8-7.

IMG_2911 (1).JPG

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

Adventurer

[ New ]

just remember water can enter it. love it.