Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

how can I reduce file size?

How can I reduce file sizes?  Using 720p at 30ps,  26 min of video translates to almost 4GB.  That's ridiculous. At 7 hrs per day, that's about 65GB per day. I'd fill up a 1 TB drive in 15 days.  I've got to get this down to 1GB per 7hrs.  How do I do this?  What is the setting that will create the lowest file size?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: how can I reduce file size?

Hi,  did you ever get an answer to this.  Darren. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

You edit and render. or you buy a camera with Less  Bit rate.. hope that helped out there is no low med high settings    Keep Protune off that uses the highest bit rate.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am using a GoPro Hero 6 and need to be able to record for a few hours at a time. it records in 10 minute segments at 4GB per segment. Its far too big. Is there a way to reduce it! Thanks
Highlighted
Adventurer

No   we wanted high wuality and  that is the Bitrate of this camera its how many 40-60 on the older models today much higher that will need to be firmware adjustment you will have to offer feedback to gopro to get this  down sized and quality will be lost.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks for that.  I have a Gopro Hero 6.  I need to record for a couple of hours at a time.  It records in segments of 10 mins.  It rocords them as 4GB MPEG files.  Far too big.  Help!

Highlighted
Sightseer

Sorry. Posted the last question twice as didnt think it sent.  Thanks for your help.  Darren

Highlighted
Adventurer

Used  a good number of camera's I got an older camera and you be set otherwise this is what we all deal with?