Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

hero8 black USB connect mac

[ New ]

I've just recently got a new Hero8 Black and, while it's mostly working for auto upload on wifi I want to plug my camera into my Mac to download some clips manually. The first time I did this I got a USB icon on the front display but now when I plug it in the camera charges but doesn't connect (ie. it's not seen in Quik, Image Capture, Photos etc.). 

I've tried on different computers and it's the same result. I found something on the forum about resetting the USB ports which I've tried on one machine (didn't do anything) but the fact that it's doing it on multiple machines makes me think it's something else. The one I'm on now is pretty much brand new (just bought it a month ago).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: hero8 black USB connect mac

[ New ]

Hello, @ninefootone. Are you using the USB-C cable that came with the camera package? Try using a different port on your computer and see how it goes. 

In addition to these troubleshooting steps, see if this user-shared solution will help. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @ninefootone. Are you using the USB-C cable that came with the camera package? Try using a different port on your computer and see how it goes. 

In addition to these troubleshooting steps, see if this user-shared solution will help. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, using the cable that came with the camera and I've tried some different ports and no difference. 

Are there are any settings on the camera to allow this? 

GoPro

[ New ]

There are no camera settings that could be adjusted to change how it is recognized by the desktop application. Does Quik recognize the files and allow you to import them when accessed through the SD card directly? 

Tourist

[ New ]

Just tried on a third computer and still no joy. 

Tried the microSD card in an adaptor direct into my computer (which has an SD card reader) and that works fine. 

So, that's kind of OK but it's a bit of a pain – getting that microSD card out regularly is a real pain!! (not really a big issue to be honest)

Tourist

[ New ]

I'll ask an obvious question just to make sure it's been tried!

Is the Gopro kept off while it's being plugged in?

For me, usb connection is recognized by my mac and ready for data transfers when:
- GoPro is on then plugged in.

- GoPro is off, then plugged in, then turned on.

My GoPro is not recognized by the mac as "usb connection" if it is off and plugged in. It'll just charge with the red light.

I'm using usb GoPro provided and an amazon basics cable. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@slantingprizm, sorry to hear about the trouble. Run any available OS updates and make sure to have the latest update for your Graphics Card/s drivers installed. Use the GoPro USB-C cable that came with the camera. There are some troubleshooting steps here that will help: 

Additionally, if using macOS Catalina, you can try the suggestions in this thread to see if they'll work for you: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Quik-not-compatible-with-macOS-Catalina/m-p/50... 

And make sure that your Mac system allows access to removable devices. See this thread https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/GoPro-Quick-Mac-import-not-working-import-butt... for more details. 

Tourist

[ New ]

It's working. Pretty sure I tried the simple steps (on before plugging in etc.) but I've just tried it again and it's working – thanks for your help!

Jon

GoPro

[ New ]

@ninefootone, glad to hear that and thanks for posting back with the results. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Tourist

Rif.: hero8 black USB connect mac

[ New ]

I solved with a simple program called andorid file transfer for mac (find on youtube) so my MAC see Hero 8 as android device and permit to copy the file in MAC drive.