Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

hero 9 auto upload error

[ New ]

Hero 9 synced with app, continually fails to upload media to cloud, I get "upload error, connect your gopro to a power outlet and try again"

It is connected to a power outlet!

I can get photos in app but will not sync to cloud!!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: hero 9 auto upload error

[ New ]

Hi @vitalrange06728

Let our Support Team check on this further. Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 
Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @vitalrange06728

Please try resetting the camera.Set up auto upload then try again.

If it's still the same, please try running a manual update.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I have reset it, tried again and my hero 9is already updated
Tourist

[ New ]

20200923_210642.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @vitalrange06728

Let our Support Team check on this further. Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 
Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi,

The link you have provided is broken.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry about that @vitalrange06728

Would you mind trying this link: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I found that and lodged a service request call back, nothing received yet.

Hiker

[ New ]

When I tried auto upload for my 32GB SD card the upload was way too slow.  After 5 hours it wasnt finished uploading.  I dont think there is sufficient capacity on your servers and network.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @nmstough. See if the media that you are auto-uploading is being stuck in the process. The instructions at Manage Upload Page in Media Library will guide you. 

You may also try the other methods of adding media to the Cloud to determine which one is most efficient for your setup. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @vitalrange06728. We see your callback request in the queue. We do not have an exact time for when they will contact you back since it will depend on agent availability. Please keep your lines open and make sure that there are no settings on your phone that would prevent it from receiving calls especially from unknown or toll-free numbers. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Every day I make videos that fill  up my 32GB memory card.  And then I "view media" and copy them to the app on my mobile.  Supposedly they should then upload to the cloud.  But this is taking too long.  They dont upload very quickly.  What is someone supposed to do?  I dont have any other methods of getting the videos to the cloud. For instance I have no adapter to connect to another device to do it.  

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the same issue. What is the solution, please?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @nmstough and @vikkiek02. You may set up auto upload to save long videos to the cloud more easily. This way you do not have to use the app every time (only on initial setup, that is). Please note, however, that uploading media to the cloud is greatly dependent on the strength and stability of the network used. 

If you haven't yet, set up your camera to do an auto upload. These instructions will guide you. 

Hiker

Betreff: hero 9 auto upload error

[ New ]

Hi there,

is there any fix for this "update error" issue? I got stuck in the same problem.

For me that means, auto update is not (actually never) starting. When trying (from the camera) the manual update, I receive "Update-error, please connect to power outlet".

GoPro

Re: Betreff: hero 9 auto upload error

[ New ]

Hi @shigoist

If you haven't yet, please reset the camera then set up auto upload again.

You may also check if there are files stuck on upload through Manage Upload Page in Media Library

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

I have done that countless times. In all different order.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks @shigoist

The best path forward is to reach out to Support.

Please submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, yes, I could do that.

My question however was, whether there was ever a fix to the original issuer @vitalrange06728 of this post.

I think it is much more helpful to the community to see how the original problem was resolved rather than to open yet another ticket.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having the same problem. I am sure everyone is having the same problem. You cannot plug the camera into your television... doesn’t work. Can’t actually upload to the cloud, $50 rip off. I’m sure there must be a good camera that can do these things but it’s definitely not the GoPro hero 9.

Tourist

[ New ]

Everyone seems to have the same problem, and tech support clearly doesn't have a solution at this time. Moreover, if you look through the forums, you can see that this has been a problem for the last several generations of gopros.

Here's the real answer:

It's random. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. You just have to keep trying until it works. It works maybe 1/5 of the time for me, even following exactly the same procedure.

You need to shut off hindsight, charge the battery to full, and shut off the camera with the power plugged in (not connected to a computer, just connected directly to a power supply). You may have to try 5 or 10 times before it works. Use your best charger to make sure there's enough current, but again, it's random. Unplug, replug, remove and replace the battery, restart, try a manual upload, etc. until it works. So far as I can tell, this is the only solution.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try. That still seems tedious and frustrating though. Not exactly what I was hoping for when I signed up for that service.
Tourist

[ New ]
my first Gopro, but also is my last one. I keep trying in 2 days with my 128GB....sick of it..... It suck, poor tech with your system ( cloud ) and poor support, Customers support is no support. This is the only one I will not recommend to my friends to pay for it.
Tourist

[ New ]

I, too, had this "Upload Error" issue and after doing the manual update per support suggestion, I found that there is a requirement of 3GB (!) of free space required for Auto Upload to work.  As a new user with only the 32GB SD card, the first time I used it I filled up the card.  Hence my Upload Error.  You would think that GoPro would be able to ensure the required free space was maintained if Auto Upload was set ON in the camera.  Alternatively, instead of a generic "Upload Error" they could indicate that it was because of the lack of free space on the SD card (let alone taking >1 hour to error!).  The software could make that determination as soon as the upload process started!

I also found that Auto Upload is EXTREMELY slow, >4 hours for 50GB of video (new 256GB SD card).  Using the same card and the same files I could upload to OneDrive in <15 minutes! 

The first two times I requested a call back from support, they called within 4 minutes.  Since that time, I've place two additional requests for call back (both within Business hours) and no one has deigned to call!  It's been two days now and now Business hours are over.

I've only had the camera for 5 days and I'm not sure whether or not to return it...still deciding.

Sightseer

[ New ]

The directions for iphone do not look like the app on my phone. The option for GoPro plus user isn't even there. So these instructions are pretty much useless

Sightseer

[ New ]

So the cloud feature is just garabe right? Like it doesn't actully work, it was just something GoPro lied about as a selling point? It seems like a lot of people are having this problem and no one is doing anthing about it. Just telling us to contact support and reset thing. Clearly GoPro have no idea what the problem is. Very unsatisfied customer here. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Salut,

Il est possible que ta prise de recharge pose problème. J'ai eu un cas similaire avec une prise Apple.

Essaie une autre adaptateur de chargement. Ou cela vient peut-être de ton câble USB.

Hiker

[ New ]

It is certainly documented somewhere how it is suppose to work, but for me, during my 1 million failed upload attempts I was somewhat lost until I figured it out the right way:

The Gopro has to be connected to the charger, the battery is charged up to 100% (not 99%) and has to stay connected to the battery charger during upload. The Gopro has to be switched on and has to stay switched on during upload. 

And, there has to be a minimumm of 3GB space on the inserted SD card.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is beyond ridiculous!  I got my Go Pro with the supplied 32GB micro SD card.  Thats just enough to allow me to record in 4K for one hour with the battery fully charged.  When I use it the memory gets used up before the battery.  So I have nothing left. I need to get that videos into the cloud.  I am not going to delete videos in order to make space.  Whats the 3GB for?  

Tourist

[ New ]

This is correct, but I would add:

You also need to shut off hindsight. Hindsight also apparently prevents you from connecting the camera to a computer. Sometimes.

And you may need to try multiple times before it works. You can follow the exact same procedure and get different results.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same problem here..
I received my hero9 a few days ago and yesterday was my first tryout.
Auto upload was turned on in the first setup of the GoPro and it was showing the screen with the power supply etc.
When I tried again the upload started and at some point after the 2nd of 13 files total(total size of 13 files something like 1Gb) failed to the previous screen.
Then I tried to manual upload , again it failed again due to power supply.
I tried again to manual upload, it stuck in 0% upload for 10 minutes and after that the file uploading screen appeared eventually. It’s something like stuck for 50 minutes now at 3-5% of the first file.
As I said - GoPro is docked directly to a power supply/battery is 100% /Sd card almost empty.

Is there an actual solution by the company for that failure?
If not, I want a refund for my purchase.
image.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @theodotak16

Would you be able to check if there are files stuck on upload?

See Manage Upload Page in Media Library

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Same here, have you found any fix?

Tourist

[ New ]
To everyone, try that way to do the upload to the cloud.
Before going to upload~First step
1,100% fully charge battery
2, Take off battery
3, Remove the memory card.

Ready to upload to cloud
1, Insert the memory card.
2, Insert the 100% charge battery.
3, Take on the Cam and wait.....

That I have successfully to do the upload ,
BUT I'd find another Great problem is....I can find the videos on my phone and it show success upload( with the cloud icon), unfortunately I can not see in the cloud and eventually can not do the menu upload, well what I can do? Gopro team, should I delete the videos then take the shot again? This is awesome and extremely exciting software I never Seen
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @bearbear635. Try signing out and signing back into the app. Refresh your media library and see if the media will appear. On the web, make sure that you are logged in using the correct email address. 

Also, see if the files may just be located under a different timeline which is the case for incorrectly dated files. On the Media tab on the GoPro App, try toggling between Offload Date and Creation Date them check for your media. On the web, you may filter using "Recently Uploaded."

Hiker

[ New ]
Is there a solution to this? I’ve enabled auto upload to my GoPro plus account but it hasn’t uploaded anything yet..
When I try to manually upload, even with over 30GB of free space and 100% battery + plugged to power, I get the same message “connect your GoPro to a power outlet and try again”.

It just doesn’t work at all.
Please fix this.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @naikee

Were you able to check the manage upload page? See Manage Upload Page in Media Library

Can you also try a manual upload? Sign in via gopro.com/login

Then click Add Media.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

just had this exact same problem with my brand new Hero 9 it would not auto upload and kept saying plug into charger. after much puzzleing i've found they the gopro is really picky about what type of charger is connected, powered PC-USB port does not work, a bunch of fast charger's (samsung and Huawei) do not work. in the end i found my old 2.5A 5V charger from apple works with it and it now funtions perfectly.

i think if gopro are designing a product that is picky about the charger used they should be providing a carger with it, not just the USB lead. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@bryanr1418 wrote:

Everyone seems to have the same problem, and tech support clearly doesn't have a solution at this time. Moreover, if you look through the forums, you can see that this has been a problem for the last several generations of gopros.

Here's the real answer:

It's random. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. You just have to keep trying until it works. It works maybe 1/5 of the time for me, even following exactly the same procedure.

You need to shut off hindsight, charge the battery to full, and shut off the camera with the power plugged in (not connected to a computer, just connected directly to a power supply). You may have to try 5 or 10 times before it works. Use your best charger to make sure there's enough current, but again, it's random. Unplug, replug, remove and replace the battery, restart, try a manual upload, etc. until it works. So far as I can tell, this is the only solution.

Ya this worked for me. And ironically the GoPro charger does not output enough current to allow the camera to upload files after the battery is charged... Get a higher current output charger.

Tourist

[ New ]
Ya their own GoPro charger doesn't even produce enough amperage for it to work...
Sightseer

[ New ]

I have FINALLY been able to get this working reliably.  Tried many different USB adapters, but the only one I have that will work consistently is my Samsung 45W Super Fast Charger.  The power requirements definitely seem a little crazy, considering I can use this same charger to charge a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3...

If you are going to use a high-wattage charger, I would definitely make sure it is USB PD, so that you don't run the risk of blowing out your camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

What is the solution to 

"upload error, connect your gopro to a power outlet and try again"

I AM CONNECTED!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

This is one of the reason I returned the GoPro!

Best of luck to you.

Tourist

[ New ]

I did everything recommended by other people and I still have the same orignial issue of this post, despite of:

- reset the configuration

- there's nothing being sent (manually or automatic)

- battery 100%

- using Samsung fast charge connected to the gopro

- 10Gb space on the memory card

I'm thinking that's the only solution for this problem is return the gopro or sell it, because it worthless, better use a cheap camera with Google Drive.

I hope someone from support can send a new info and not only the default "open a ticket". 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @viarex @dv320 @rovalentim

Were you able to check if there are files stuck on upload? Manage Upload Page in Media Library

Also, we have recently released an update for the GoPro Quik app.

Update the app then rest the camera.

Make sure to restart your phone before testing it again.

Let us know how it goes.
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to have this checked further.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 ,

There's no file stucked.

My app is in the latest version.

I did restarted my phone, despite of I don't know why the app or phone does matter to uploads from the gopro itself.

And it's still the same error.

I left the camera on in the last 2 days just trying to send file manually, so it keep trying forever, after few hours I could see that was finally connected and it could send 2 of 34 videos, because in the middle of the 3rd video the connection was lost and again the issue was happening, when finally worked again after almost a day, it restarted the 3rd video from scratch, instead of continue, just showing how bad quality is GoPro Cloud.

Looks like that's a problem at GoPro Cloud, since it worked for a while without any change at all, but it's terrible that you need to keep trying for days to send few minutes of video, also the GoPro Cloud is terrible slow, so slow that not even for free it worth to use, but unfortunatelly is needed, since GoPro save each video file in a very crazy way with multiples files, making impossible to just copy and paste to use, probably because it's to force you to save the videos in GoPro Cloud first and since it's a terrible cloud, it's needed to split the files to be able to upload the entire video (one day if works).

Need to get in contact with Support Team just show how terrible is GoPro support, since they'll have several complains, instead of just fix the issue and leave public for everyone.

As alternative I found that you can send to your phone and from there to the cloud, that's still very slow to upload, also have some issues, but it's less than from the GoPro itself, but after update the app it's very difficult to send files from the camera to the phone, everytime after few minutes it complains about connection error, something that before update the app wasn't happening. 

Unfortunatelly I'll make the second option to solve this issue, sell my Hero 9 and buy an action camera that works not only for record. 

Tourist

[ New ]

After get in contact with the support they requested to make the manual update:

https://gopro.com/update

Since that also didn't worked, the only option I had was to replace my camera, not even return it and get my money back was an option.

For the replacement first is needed to fill a form, after that they send the authorization and details of how to proceed, but that means that I need to send the camera back to GoPro, by my own cost and wait for 10 business days, after that they'll send me back a new camera.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I was receiving the error “connect to power and try again” when connected to my wall charger and trying to do a manual upload. I plugged it in to my powerbank external battery and the auto upload kicked off without issue. Apparently it doesn’t like some chargers. The wall charger I was using was an Anker 5 port with 2.4A max per port. Nothing else was charging from it at the time. Very odd.