Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

hero 8 super hot

Just got a gopro hero 8, issues:

- it gets too hot after 10 minutes recording, so hot that I can not hold it.

- battery lasts 25 minutes recording

- the chat is not working for support and I can't find a telephone or e-mail for UK support.

- it was used indide the house, regular temperatures, the SD card is the one sent with the camera

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: hero 8 super hot

Hello, @zippyriver0820. Which firmware is your HERO8 Balck running on? Aso, what resolution settings were the camera in when it did the recording? 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, version 01.60.00. I just charged the battery up to 100% again. It recorded for 19 minutes and shut down with the message that it was too hot. turned it on again in a few minutes later and the batery was in 27%.

Highlighted
Tourist

resolution 1080 / 120 / w

Hi, version 01.60.00. I just charged the battery up to 100% again. It recorded for 19 minutes and shut down with the message that it was too hot. turned it on again in a few minutes later and the batery was in 27%.

Highlighted
Nomad

So shooting in a static environment with no active air cooling over the camera at 120 FPS and your camera gets' hot..  that actually sound about right.  And yes, this would also use a lot of the battery especially if you have GPS, Hypersmooth, Rear screen all going.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-Battery-Life/ta-p/394294

Please note that although the above list says the battery will last 50 mins at 120FPS, this is under "ideal" conditions.  

Highlighted
GoPro

@zippyriver0820, just to check, what's the SD card used?

Please try formatting the SD card. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.)

Reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help. 

Let us know how it goes.