Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: hero 8 freezes while taking video

Hi Jefft.  I appreciate your support. 

I can try another card (the card i'm using is already any approved card; see my earlier post) but I'm back from my vacation now so it will be difficult to recreate the problem. 

I used the H8 for 6 days and only have the problem on a day when it was particularly cold.  I'm convinced the problem is down to the cold.  Does the camera detect the temperature and should it shutdown/prevent recording if it can't handle the cold or, does it just start to randomly fail?  I would expect to be notified by the camera if there is a problem (too hot / too cold) and the recording either not start or properly stop.  For the video to stop recording and only the audio to be recorded is an unacceptable failure of the device.  This shouldn't happen to a camera that is designed to be a robust action camera.  It doesn't, for example, happen on my iphone so how can it be acceptable on an action cam?

Putting it another way, what is the expected behaviour of the camera if I try to use it in say -50 degree weather conditions?  At some point I expect the electronics to struggle.  The SW should be designed to handle this.  Will the camera turn off, prevent recording?  What is the expected behaviour for low temperatures and why did my camera fail in the way I have described?

There are too many posts on forums to suggest this is a failure of my device.  It seems to be a design flaw.  I hope this isn't being ignored or, worse still, covered up by GoPro!

Thanks

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

GoPro cameras typically don't have issues with cold weather (other than possible battery drain). It would good if you could reach out to our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs so we can try to figure out what may be causing the issues though.

Highlighted
Tourist

I've had this issue twice, I'm chatting with support right now about it.

I've troubleshot with support before, we had to reinstall the firmware, format the mememory card, and reset the camera. Today it happened again while riding my motorcycle. I belive it has to do with vibration or sudden movment rather than anyting else.

I have to agree with all of you.. It is horribly frustrating thinking you've got an awesome action shot, just to be able to hear the sound with a frozen frame of the whole video. Then, any subsequent videos will come up on the app (or the camera) as "UABLE TO VIEW". So a waste of battery. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for adding your experience, very similar to mine except that in my case, the camera has been stationary (befoer the action even started) when the frame froze, about one and a half minutes into filming.

Highlighted
Tourist

All, just as way of an update from me, I've contacted GoPro customer support and have sent my Hero8 back for replacement.  I'm off skiiing to the same location in Feb so will try it again - I'll intentionally get the camera very cold and see what happens.  Customer Support think it is a faulty camera, so let's see....

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Recollect the Hero 8 has better specs than the Hero 7. I wouldn't accept cards that worked with before models will work similarly also with the Hero 8. Something to remember.

Highlighted
Tourist

My camera just reached GoPro yesterday. A replacement will be sent to me sometime soon. Once I get it I’ll try again riding my motorcycle to see if it actually was the camera.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I had a similar problem - this seems to occur in very cold conditions -8 degrees Celcius and under. I noted it early morning and late evening while skiing in Italy. I'm very unhappy with this to say the least. It means that quite a few of the videos i recorded either early morning or late evening are ruined. GoPro should state that this product is unsuitable for low temperatures and specify what those temperetures are.

The card used is San Disk Extreme Pro 128gb V30 XC1 u3 A2. Had no issues during the warmest part of the day.

Wondering whether buying an extra housing might protect the unit from the extreme cold. In Livigno on the coldest mornings it was -15 deg Celcius. Then add in wind chill factor skiing at close to 100 km/h. !!

Come on Go Pro. What is the answer?